I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Point Blank Rods - The real details?
Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2023 07:54AM

I'm looking for my Winter build. I'd like to build a llong rod that will handle small, shallow crankbaits. I plan on building the rod as a spinning rod.

My problem: The Point Blank website and the PB downloadable PDF do not match up. The website has some 7'10' moderate crankbait rods which are not listed on the PDF.

Between the website, the PDF, and Mudhole, all have differnt details on the rods.

Anyone have one document that lists the true details of ALL the PB rods especially the 7'10" and 8' rod models?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point Blank Rods - The real details?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 16, 2023 01:25PM

I don't have data on those models, but my experience with their blanks from 6-9 through 7-3 shows that my CCS data and the Anglers Resource data agree. I would go with the Anglers Resource web site data, and for specific questions, contact Anglers Resource. If two of their own documents do not agree I would specifically ask them for clarification.

I took a quick look at the data in their catalog and the data on the website and there appears to be a discrepancy on blank weight, but I don't see the missing models. I would contact Anglers Resource and ask.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: September 16, 2023 06:00PM

I built on a Point Blank that had four different sets of specifications. It was three until I unpacked the label. I gave up on them because of that. It’s sad their data is such a mess because they do make really nice blanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2023 06:22PM

Point Blank is one of my favorites, exceptional blanks. Never have been disappointed with any that I’ve built. The published CCS data is quite good. Some of the newer models have RDA specs but not CCS.
My CCS specs for the PB801MXF are IP 632 gm AA 76. I’ve made several of them for inshore trout and redfish use as well as long crank bait rods. Has a nice soft tip and a lot of power in the butt. It will certainly throw lures from 1/4 to 2 ozs with no problems.
Norm

Date: September 24, 2023 11:57AM

Thanks everyone for their input

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 24, 2023 02:46PM

This is a problem that we have always had, all companies, some human inputs the information.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2023 03:10PM

Keep in mind that the knock-off RDA measurements are incorrect. AA and ERN (or IP) have defined constants and the instant you change one of them the measurements you obtain are not actual AA or ERN numbers. The RDA stole the terms but created its own support distance constant, making any AA or ERN figures it provides, immediately incorrect.

Date: September 24, 2023 04:06PM

Anglers Resource does provide true CCS numbers along with the RDA numbers. Click on the "hard specs" link when at the blank. There may be errors in logging them, but they are CCS numbers. Best to get into the habit of only using CCS, just measuring CCS, and you will be on the same page as most builders who use objective numbers.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 24, 2023 07:08PM

Michael. can you provide a link to these "hard specs"? I can't find them.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2023 07:31PM

here is how you get to the info:
1. Goto the "Product" page.
2. Then pick the length you are interested in.
3. Then once on the length specific page there is a link at the end of most of the descriptions that says, "Hard-Specs". Click on that link after the model you are interested in and you will see the data.

Date: September 24, 2023 08:56PM

thanks, Kevin. That's it.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: September 24, 2023 09:38PM

There are some models that don’t have the “Hard specs” link. I’ve fished my PB761HM for a multitude of bass techniques and have taken it to Alaska twice for throwing spinners to big cohos. There are things I like about the rod and a couple of things I really don’t. It’s very sensitive, light for its size (which is still somewhat of an unknown), and seems durable. However, its taper is very unrefined compared to every other equivalently priced blank I own. It bends further back than a fast action rod and then pretty much shuts off. It certainly doesn’t load and release with 5/8ths ounce lures well despite some of its ratings being down to 1/2 ounce. It doesn’t really cast two ounce glidebaits very well either. Its maximum lure weight ratings vary up to this weight.

This blank does pretty well casting 1.5 ounce crankbaits, but it isn’t a slingshot with them. Even with 12lb Tatsu, these don’t impressively fly from this rod. This was one of Point Blank’s first attempts at more moderate than fast action blank, and I think they somewhat missed on the taper. Does anyone else have experience with their moderate/moderate-fast blanks? Mine is built for function with titanium guides and CFX grips. It usually wears a Bantam MGL 150. This blank has been given a pretty good chance to show its capabilities.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2023 12:14AM

Although the PB761HM performs well for a number of different techniques, it was originally designed as a flipping stick, for which it excels. They are very light and powerful blanks, with a more moderate action (AA = 66), and a lot of power (IP = 895 gm) in the butt section for pulling fish out of heavy cover. I have built several of these blanks as casting rods with carbon fiber grips (both CFX type, and soft touch) and KR guides. Their owners love them. I’ve had no problems with breakage enough though they have been used very hard by their owners, who do a lot of boat flipping. So, they seem to be quite durable.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 26, 2023 08:49PM

Thx guys, found it.

Date: October 07, 2023 10:05AM

Thanks guys. My problem is in the actual listing of the rods - specifically the PDF file that lists all their blanks with all the details. That file is no where to be found (a correct one that lists ALL their blanks) anyway...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster