I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fenwick Blank ID
Posted by: Rick hern (---)
Date: September 05, 2023 12:49PM

Hey Guys,

I just inherited 2 4 pc(spigot ferrules) 105" custom Fenwick salmon rods along with 5 or 6 other Fenwick salmon rods. There are no model numbers on these. I am thinking they go back to the mid 80s. Anybody have an idea of what blank these might be built on? Both appear unused.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenwick Blank ID
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2023 02:06PM

If the ferrules are spigots rather than the tip-over-butt Feralite type, these may be older than you think. Are they glass rods?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 05, 2023 02:57PM

The original owner of Fenwick invented the commercially successful tip over butt ferruling system, can't imagine why a commercially available Fenwick in that time period would have spigot ferrules, it might have been a custom cut design from a custom builder or an older design. Lamiglas has used spigot ferrules, butt over tip and tip over butt ferrules in that and later designs, I own two composite 4 pc., spigot ferruled, 8 1/2 ft. salmon rods built from Lamiglas blanks. At one time, Lamiglas, Grizzly, Fenwick and others came from the same factory, the designs obviously were their own. You never said if they were glass or carbon blanks. I have fished a 2 pc. 8 ft. 9 in. Fenwick glass rod, just never seen a four piece.

Date: September 05, 2023 03:36PM

Jim Green never owned Fenwick, but he did invent the Feralite Tip-Over-Butt ferrule. He also produced the first commercially available carbon fiber fishing rods after visiting and fishing with a gentleman in the U.K. who operated one fo the first companies to work with carbon prepeg for military applications. That would have been about 1969 and Jim and Don introduced a fly and a casting rod made from the new fiber in 1974.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2023 04:36PM

I don’t remember Fenwick producing rod blanks with spigot ferrules. In addition, as far as I know, Fenwick permanently labeled their blanks with model number and logo. I’m suspecting that the rods you have are not Fenwick. If they are, then the blanks were cut and custom ferruled by a rod builder. If I remember correctly Lamiglas and Fisher, plus some others, might have used spigot ferrules, but I don’t remember them producing 4 piece blanks during that time era.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 05, 2023 07:07PM

I bought my 4 piece spigot Lamiglas salmon blanks around 2000, their 6 piece glass fly blanks were all spigot rods, maybe their 4 piece were too.

Date: September 06, 2023 10:04AM

Thanks guys, these are glass blanks, the older darker color. I would love to post pics but don't see that option?? What am I missing?

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: September 06, 2023 11:56AM

Getting registered in the photo section is sometimes unreliable. It could take a day or a few weeks. Reasons for this issue has been thoroughly discussed on this forum but sometimes the problem still persists. If you want to post a pic immediately, I would suggest a hosting site.

Date: September 06, 2023 01:41PM

OK, I think I uploaded the photos but how do I get them in this thread??

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: September 06, 2023 03:06PM

When I use a hosting site a thumbnail or hotline can be copied and pasted directly into the thread on this site. You should have that option on the host site.

Date: September 06, 2023 03:22PM

Mark Brassett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Getting registered in the photo section is
> sometimes unreliable. It could take a day or a
> few weeks. Reasons for this issue has been
> thoroughly discussed on this forum but sometimes
> the problem still persists. If you want to post a
> pic immediately, I would suggest a hosting site.

Untrue. Registrations are processed immediately per the site software - it does not play favorites. It is the user that sometimes takes a day to a few weeks to respond to the validation email. There are 5000 registered users on the photo page. The inability of a couple or three dozen that fail to respond to the validation email is not indicative of the site being unresponsive. It certainly wasn't for the other 5000.

In the past month or two we've seen several people complain about not being able to post photos to that site. In turned out in all but one case, that those complaining weren't even registered on that site. In the other case, there was a validation email that hadn't been responded to. 100% user error. Nothing wrong with the site itself.

The photo page IS a photo hosting site. It is not part of the forum. Once you upload a photo, click on the photo and copy the URL. Then paste it in your post here and anyone can go directly to your photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2023 08:04PM by Tom Kirkman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster