I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

laminating epoxy in small bottles
Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: August 28, 2023 10:34AM

I'm starting to make some carbon fiber grips on foam and need laminating epoxy. I was intending to buy the CFX-800 kit from Mudhole but they are sold out. I've seen recommendations on this board and looked for them on-line (West System, Mas, System One, Soller Composites. and PTM&W Aeropoxy PR2032), but they come in large sizes and cost about $100. Can anyone recommend where I might find smaller quantities?

Thanks
Dale

Dale Thompson
Small-time fly rod builder

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: laminating epoxy in small bottles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2023 10:50AM

West Systems has some kits that aren't that expensive as does Jamestown distributors. Granted, you're going to have to spend $50 at least, but if you plan to make many grips the cost per the number of grips you can make isn't really very expensive and the epoxy isn't going to go bad.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 28, 2023 03:47PM

Dale,
You should be able to purchase 1-quart kits (epoxy and hardener) from many suppliers. As Tom mentioned, you’ll probably have to spend more than $50.00, but a quart kit should produce at least 30 average sized grips, probably more. And the epoxy is unlikely to go bad.
For my truly structural laminates, I have trusted PTM&W for over 30 years and the hardener is available in pot lifes of 30 minutes, 1, 2, and 4 hours = very important for larger projects. Most others are only available in 1 hour or less. Although it doesn’t affect the quality or effectiveness, the PTM&W hardeners do turn a deep maroon with time.
The 820 resin and 824 hardener from Soller Composites is probably your best choice for CF grips, and you can combine your order with your choice of NUMEROUS CF, CF / colored FG and CF / Aramid woven sleeving in many different diameters. In case you didn’t know, stretching or compressing the sleeve over the foam core (within reason of course) changes the appearance substantially = get a few different diameters and experiment. Soller also sells special heat shrink tubing which really aids manufacturing foam core / CF grips = much nicer surface finish. Also, the 820 / 824 is (and remains) CLEARER than any other epoxy I have EVER used. The last 824 hardener I purchased was in 2018 and it is still water-clear. The only drawback is that it likes over 90*F to cure or it takes forever. You might be surprised how hot a low wattage light bulb in a cardboard box gets!
Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 01, 2023 10:16AM

Thanks for the input. I did find a 1 quart kit on the Soller site for $60. Also Mudhole told me they expect their CFX kit to be in stock around the end of September. I don't think I'll need it before then so $60? $20? Il'll wait on the CFX for now.

Date: September 01, 2023 01:37PM

Dale,
Consider the following cliches; “you get what you pay for”, “let the buyer beware”, “if it seems too good to be true, it probably is”, “don’t cut off your nose to spite your face”. If the CFX is 1 ? 3 the cost of the 820 / 824, that should send-up red flags! Just because others may use the CFX has nothing to do with its properties and qualities. And as I mentioned, Soller also has a plethora of different sizes, materials and colors of their woven fabric sleeving as well as special heat shrink tubing. Along with the other things I mentioned and getting ALL your materials in 1 order (= less shipping $) Soller is a no-brainer to me.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 02, 2023 12:20PM

Point taken, Mark. Altho the CFX at $20 looks to be less than a pint (they don't say the size) so not a 3:1 price diff. Doesn't matter, you've convinced me.

Date: September 03, 2023 07:29PM

That-a-boy Dale. With anything purchased from Soller Composites, you WILL get what you pay for, along with probably the best selection of fabric type, color and size choices available. I am very interested in viewing the fruits of your labor!
GOOD LUCK!!!

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster