I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

orange aluminum winding check
Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.ssa.gov)
Date: August 21, 2023 04:03PM

I have been searching relentlessly all over the internet lately trying to find an orange aluminum winding check -- to no avail. Upon searching this forum, I discovered that at least one other person had the same problems some years back (2010), so I thought I would share a little something that I discovered today.
A lot of the "dimpled" aluminum winding checks that you see on rod building supply sites appear to be actually manufactured as "drilled aluminum cup cone washers". After a bit of creative Googling, I discovered that if you search "aluminum cup cone washer" you can find multiple sources that offer them in the elusive orange color (along with numerous others).

Just thought I'd pass that along -- I haven't been active on the forum for some time, so if this has already been discussed, I apologize. :)

Bryon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: orange aluminum winding check
Posted by: Travis W Thompson (163.116.133.---)
Date: August 21, 2023 04:13PM

"Thumbs Up"

Travis T

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: August 21, 2023 06:35PM

You’ll need to drill those out at a minimum it looks like and then find ones with the right size ID so as to not mar the anodized surface.

I’ve powder coated some trim parts like that in orange or other colors for some customers - the dimpled ones can be problematic with the powder paint pulling back from the sharp edges of the dimples as the powder goes fluid - but on the smooth sweep type winding checks it works well. If I can help you or others out let me know - you can see the current colors I offer for powder coating on the website at www.customcoloredguides.com

Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.ssa.gov)
Date: August 22, 2023 10:00AM

Michael Ward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
If I can help you or others out let me know - you can see the current colors I offer for powder coating on the website at www.customcoloredguides.com

Wow! Well now I wish I had just posted here when I was in search of orange components for this current build...now I'm thinking I might need orange guides and tip-top, too...this is for a Rainshadow Eternity 2 fly blank in Cobalt Blue, which I will pair with a Lamson Litespeed reel in "Cinder", which is a dull reddish orange. Main wraps will be in dark Navy, with metallic orange trim bands. That's already more "bling" than fly rods usually sport, but hey, this is custom rod building -- doing things the way you like is kind of the whole idea, right?

Thanks, Michael, for the advice and the link...you might be getting an order from me soon. :)

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: August 22, 2023 10:29AM

Byron - Just dropped you an email reply - unfortunately at the moment I can't do snake-guides... have not found a source for true titanium snake wire guides (the REC's are a titanium-nickle alloy which won't anodize) and I'm not yet comfortable on powder coating fly guides until I can prove line-wear on them.... going to setup a test fixture eventually to run tippet and other line through snake guides under tension for hours on end to see - but need to find some time to build said fixture....

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (107.1.212.---)
Date: August 23, 2023 01:13PM

Michael Ward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Byron - Just dropped you an email reply -
> unfortunately at the moment I can't do
> snake-guides... have not found a source for true
> titanium snake wire guides (the REC's are a
> titanium-nickle alloy which won't anodize) and
> I'm not yet comfortable on powder coating fly
> guides until I can prove line-wear on them....
> going to setup a test fixture eventually to run
> tippet and other line through snake guides under
> tension for hours on end to see - but need to find
> some time to build said fixture....

The nickel with the Ti helps with elasticity. That's what gives them the spring effect. You can also paint your winding checks. I have done it many times but I also coat mine with the wrapping epoxy when I am applying it to the trim bands. Some people that build don't like that and will come up with a lot of false excuses, like it will crack or it doesn't look "clean or sharp", I think it is mostly because they have never done it themselves. I started coating the anodized winding checks when people were bringing me back rods with broken guides that I had made and noticed corrosion on the checks. I started doing it about 12 years ago, mainly because people just don't rinse their rods after using them in saltwater. I use titanium framed guides and the real seats are mostly plastic or carbon fiber so none of that corrodes, just the uncoated winding checks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2023 01:24PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster