I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Twitching blank for Chinook in fast water
Posted by: Dominic Meads (---.inf.spectrum.com)
Date: August 19, 2023 12:12AM

I want to build a twitching rod specifically for chinook. I know there are some on the market, but I feel like those are more targeted towards coho, and I don't have a lot of those in my river.

It will be for spring chinook. In the spring, the water gets high and fast, and the boat guys have a lot of luck because they can go chase the fish. The bank guys who can actually land them usually use the larger 6600 Abu reels, long super heavy rods, and 40 lb mono and floss... i mean "drift fish" for them :(

Twitching with that setup would be a nightmare, so I am looking for twitching blank recommendations. The boat guys who twitch use 1/2 to 3/4 oz jigs, 3000 sized reels, and braided line. Im going with a 4000 or 5000 reel, but need the blank.

I was looking at the NFC Xray SJ 736 or the MB7108 but any other suggestions would be appreciated :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Twitching blank for Chinook in fast water
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 19, 2023 05:17PM

You can certainly use them, the X Ray SJ 736 is more powerful than any of the NFC salmon rods you will see on the water on the river, except maybe some back bouncing rods, the MB 7108 even more so, not really close as far as power goes between them.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2023 10:33PM

Dominic,

I would actually recommend the HS822 or the 821

Just note that the lure rating on those blanks is for a big plug, and is meant not to cast it but to slowly let it out behind the boat. If you are casting, the upper range is about an ounce and a half.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Best,
Aleks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 20, 2023 11:37PM

I own a GL3 G Loomis version of the HS 821, I totally agree, it would be a perfect choice. Have not used the 822 for anything other than boat use. The Loomis 821 has been factory built both casting and spinning use. When you are using that much weight it matters little whether you use a spinning or casting reel, if you prefer casting reels you would lose nothing.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: August 21, 2023 11:37AM

I've fished twitch rigs up and down the spectrum of power and action. Personally, I prefer a mod-fast action for salmon twitching vs. fast or x-fast. I feel you get a better action on the jig, get more bites and more hookups with a mod-fast, especially on kings which have notoriously hard mouths. 7'6" to 7'10" seems to be the ticket. Below are some Rainshadow models that are popular for twitching 3/8 to 5/8oz. +

Judge RX7/S-Glass Crankbait model: JDGCB710M or MH

Eternity RX10 Popping model: ETEP76MH (coming soon)

Immortal RX8 Popping model: IMMP76MH

Revelation RX7 Crankbait model: REVCB80MH

RX6 Popping model: SP944

or just search search "Twitching" at: [batsonenterprises.com]

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: August 21, 2023 11:41AM

The MHX L905 [mudhole.com] or MB905 [mudhole.com] would be great options depending on the feel you're going for. The L905 is going to be softer and more parabolic

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Dominic Meads (---.mobile.uscc.com)
Date: August 21, 2023 01:10PM

Aleks Maslov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dominic,
>
> I would actually recommend the HS822 or the 821
>
> Just note that the lure rating on those blanks is
> for a big plug, and is meant not to cast it but to
> slowly let it out behind the boat. If you are
> casting, the upper range is about an ounce and a
> half.
>
> [northforkcomposites.com]
> m/
>
> Best,
> Aleks

Thanks a lot Aleks, the HS821 blank looks perfect! I will put in an order this week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster