I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson 2023/2024 New Products
Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: August 18, 2023 05:47PM

Batson's 2023/2024 new product inventory is starting to show up on warehouse shelves. We're releasing a ton of new and redesigned Rainshadow Rod Blanks this year, over 75 total across 15 series. There's also new Alps reel seats, new Forecast grips, and more. Check out our entire new product lineup at [batsonenterprises.com] or view the online new product catalog flipbook here [online.flipbuilder.com]. We'll update this thread with new product availability as each item or series becomes available. Fish on!

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson 2023/2024 New Products
Date: August 18, 2023 06:22PM

The brand new Rainshadow Revelation RX7 3-Piece travel rod blanks are in stock! This new travel series has models in light spin to x-heavy cast, and will cover you on your next trip to the Great North for Bass and Pike, to Brazil for Peacocks, and everything in between. See the entire series at [batsonenterprises.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2023 06:30PM by Geoff Staples.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: August 18, 2023 08:39PM

Great links.

Not sure if they are new, but I didn’t realize you made the Judge in heavier SW weights. Dang you! :)

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 19, 2023 12:20PM

No cobalt? It looks like grey's the anatomy of the new Rx10. Can't wait to hear reviews.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 20, 2023 05:20PM

I'm cool with gray. Many more options on handsome wraps than the cobalt offered. Cobalt sort of went with the "tropics," but very few handsome wrap color options. Cobalt, light cobalt, dark cobalt, with white black or silver trim. If I'm wrong, everyone, let me know because I'm almost ready to wrap another cobalt. (thanks!)

(Yes, I tried the new Fuji concrete color, and it does work. Darker grays would work, too, but nothing "to write home about." )

Date: August 25, 2023 04:23PM

Another Batson New Product Arrival: New Revelation RX7 Slow Jig models are available now.

Rainshadow has gone all-in for slow jig anglers with new 7'6" models in six different powers from 60-80g, all the way up to the new 400-600g X-Heavy. We have also added X-Heavy models to the 6'6" and 7'0" lineups. All models feature ultra-thick walls constructed from layer upon layer of RX7 mid-modulus graphite finished with a full-length diamond poly helix wrap, providing offshore anglers perfect slow pitch actions that make your jigs trick more fish.
See the entire Rainshadow slow jig lineup here [batsonenterprises.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: September 01, 2023 04:32PM

Hi Tim,
The Judge aren't a new series for us, but they did get some design upgrades this year and much more competitive pricing. Most models are now in stock. You can check availability of both the crankbait and live bait series here: [batsonenterprises.com]

Date: September 01, 2023 09:26PM

I think it is wise for them to go to a gray color, as the cobalt was a non-starter for some rod makers or clients there of. I was OK with it on my 9' 6wt, but the only thread I went with was also cobalt.

Re: New Rainshadow Models by Customer Request
Date: September 14, 2023 05:36PM

Rainshadow has added several new models to existing saltwater series. These are models that have been repeatedly requested by our customers, and now they're in stock ready to ship. Join us Live on Facebook tomorrow, Friday 9/15 at 10:00am PST, to see them up close and submit questions.

E-Glass RT Series: RT8480-GB 7' Giant Bluefin Tuna gunnel rod blank [batsonenterprises.com]

RX6 SP Inshore Series: SP845-CG 7' heavy inshore, available in 5 colors [batsonenterprises.com]

RX6 / E-Glass Hybrid Saltwater Series: Two new models in both the Live Bait and Tuna Popper series [batsonenterprises.com]

Facebook Live Event, Friday September 15th 10:00am PST: [www.facebook.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2023 05:37PM by Geoff Staples.

Date: October 05, 2023 06:40PM

BATSON NEW PRODUCT UPDATE - Oct. 5th
All Eternity RX10's have now arrived and are ready to ship. These are Rainshadow's flagship high-modulus graphite blank series'. These blanks are inventoried at production stocking levels, quality is extremely consistent , and all models were designed and tested to meet the demands of the worlds top anglers.
See the entire lineup here [batsonenterprises.com] As of this post, all models are in stock. CCS data is available as promised. Enjoy!

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 05, 2023 10:27PM

This is the second generation of RX7 3 piece travel blanks, I've owned some for near 20 years, they were great than, can't imagine they aren't now.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 06, 2023 12:21PM

The claim made here by the Batson Team about the RX10 is fairly bold. In my experience building on and switching between RX10’s, SCV’s, Points, and other similar quality of blanks while fishing, this blank series absolutely cashes that check. The quality is great (straight tips!), and it’s noticeable that the tapers are specifically refined for intended uses. I currently fish more rods in the RX10 and SCV series than any others. All are for different techniques, so none directly compare across these series. I can’t say the Eternity RX10 is the best blank you can buy (and neither did Batson), but I anecdotally believe that it solidly fits into the upper tier.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 10, 2023 01:26AM

With all the USA manufactures we now have Rolling Blanks in the states! I simply refuse to Build on communist china Blanks!! USA Strong! Proudly built in America!! By American Workers!!

Date: October 10, 2023 09:31PM

Buying U.S. made is certainly your prerogative, but narrows the field considerably. I was not aware that there has been an uptick in U.S.A. made blanks, but I only know fly blanks. I have several NFC fly rod builds and quite like them. Have a Batson Eternity2 as well.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 10, 2023 09:40PM

USA rolled blanks are actually fairly rare by overall volume and proportion of choices. The RX10 Eternity series is made in South Korea, not China (source: telephone conversation with Karry Batson). This nation is rated by some experts as our most loyal ally, both now and over the last several decades. They have tangibly supported the USA with troops and supplies ever since the Korean Conflict. Their political candidates usually take care to express respect for the United States.

I buy USA whenever it makes sense (i.e., St. Croix SCV and United Composites) and also gladly support South Korea by buying their very well made blanks. Between these two countries, I find what I need in blanks. With many types of components there is only one national source, however. Politics and preferences aside, I figure that building a rod with no guides is fairly impractical. Someday I’ll drive by NFC when it’s not Friday night or Saturday morning and select a couple of their blanks. They have divulged they use Toray carbon, though. Toray is headquartered in Japan, but they have manufacturing in China. My point is that sourcing is very complex and the desire to either support or avoid nations has practical limits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2023 09:53PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Date: October 11, 2023 11:55AM

Regarding comments about USA blank manufacturing, our position on the topic is clearly stated on our website here: [batsonenterprises.com] (see 4th Q&A listed)

Date: October 11, 2023 10:56PM

That seems like a candid, honest and fair explanation of the company's position to me.

In regard to S. Korean blanks, some of the best rod's currently made are coming from blanks or rods designed in the USA and produced in South Korea, a free democratic nation and ally. It would make sense if the RX10 Eternity series is being sourced from there.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2023 04:22PM

Rainshadow tried, unsucessfully, to have an American blank builder, build the Testament line of rod blanks. They sited quality issues, and the builder being unable to meet their production demands as the reasons for the unsuccessful venture.

The Testament was to be the American built replacement for the Eternity2 series of rod blanks. I'm not sure if any Testament blank ever went out to a custom rod builder. I know I contacted Utmost Enterprises about ordering one of the Testament blanks and was told they didn't have any in stock as of yet. Utmost is located very close to Batson Enterprises. If Utmost couldn't get them, could anybody else? If my recollection is correct, the Eternity2 series of rod blanks were built here in the United States. Anyhow .....

I get the American built or nothing stance of some builders. At least the reference in this thread didn't site quality issues as a reason for not wanting a foreign built blank. Every single Rainshadow blank I have ever built on, except one, has been an absolutely beautiful very quality blank. The one exception being the Eternity 2 blank I ordered. Batson replaced it pretty much no questions asked.

I've only built on one RX 10 blank and it is phenomenal. If it isn't the most sensitive rod I own, and I believe it is, it doesn't take a back seat to any blank I have built on, or any rod I've ever had in my hand. IMO, all of their blanks are top tier with competing blanks in the same class.

Date: October 13, 2023 05:35PM

I build only fly blanks. I thought I recalled seeing a made in China sticker on the E2 fly rod I made several years ago, but I could be wrong.

I am not a buy only in the U.S.A. hardliner, but I prefer to buy products produced in the free world, but know that many of the consumer goods one buys, including many I purchase, will be manufactured in China.

S. Korea has some superb rod producing factories, which are making rods for Hardy, Loop, Epic, Douglas and a number of other OEMs whose rods are very highly rated. Many of those use the newer carbon fiber/graphene resin technology.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster