I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is this too long?
Posted by: Al purvis (---)
Date: August 16, 2023 08:34AM

Hey everyone,

Here’s a photo of my 6’ medium light spinning rod I am finishing up. This is actually my first spinning rod and I built it for finesse fishing for bass in my home river that I wade fish a lot. It may be used for throwing some small plastics inshore fishing from time to time but I don’t do too much of that honestly.

Anyways, I didn’t own a spinning rod to compare to and it’s been years since I’ve spin fished and my question is this: is my handle too long? I measured it to intentionally put the fighting butt into the thickest point in my arm and it felt good to me. So far test casting it feels great as well and I’m measuring from bottom of butt cap to the bottom of reel seat (to the threads on an up locking seat) 8 3/4.” Total length from butt cap to the reel seat stem is 11” and to the top of the top piece of cork is 14.” I just wasn’t sure if this would be considered too long and if any issues may arise as a result. I know I’m asking the question a little late in the process now I just wanted to know going forward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this too long?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2023 08:53AM

Handle length is mostly a matter of personal preference but there are things to consider. For that length rod you do have a long handle, which costs you on the forward business end. What size fish do you expect to do battle with on that rod? Do you need that much handle length for leverage against such fish? Do you intend to make two-handed casts? If you're using light line you can only apply so much pressure with that rod anyway.

Go cast it. Pull something along in the grass so you have some resistance on the retrieve. This will give you a better idea if handle is or isn't the right length for what you want to do with the rod.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2023 08:56AM

If you like it, it’s fine!
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 16, 2023 03:50PM

Al,
If you like it then it is fine.

As a general rule, for my 6 foot rods, I generally use an 7-8 inch solid rear grip. Split grips are fine but not my cup of tea.

But, what works for me - may not suit you at all.

The reason that this forum is called rod building, is that any individual can build any fishing rod in what ever manner they please.

Best wishes

Date: August 16, 2023 04:14PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Al,
> If you like it then it is fine.
>
> As a general rule, for my 6 foot rods, I generally
> use an 7-8 inch solid rear grip. Split grips
> are fine but not my cup of tea.
>
> But, what works for me - may not suit you at all.
>
>
> The reason that this forum is called rod building,
> is that any individual can build any fishing rod
> in what ever manner they please.

>
> Best wishes

What do you not like about split grips? I’m not against solid cork grips I was just trying to build this rod as light as I could.

Date: August 16, 2023 04:23PM

There's no reason to have any grip material in an area where you're not going to grip the rod, unless you need it to protect the rod in a rod holder.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 16, 2023 04:42PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> There's no reason to have any grip material in an
> area where you're not going to grip the rod,
> unless you need it to protect the rod in a rod
> holder.
>
>
>
> ...........

Or, unless you're considering the weight of the rear grip as weight to help balance the rod and reel.

Al, as far as the length of your grip goes, as others have said, if you like it, then it's fine. But ..... do you plan on ever wearing bulky clothing while using this rod? Rain suit? Heavier clothing for colder weather. If so you may find a grip that length may cause a problem.

Also, there is a rather big difference when you're actually making a cast, or making a little underhand flip with the rod. If you're going to be making underhand flips pretty regularly, you did say you'd be wading in a river, then you may want to consider a bit shorter rear grip to make those little underhand flips, easier.

Just some things to consider ..... I know I would definitely try it with some bulkier long sleeve clothing on before I made a final decision. If for no other reason than peace of mind.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 16, 2023 07:32PM

New Rule. From now on, spinning rod grip length shall be measured from the butt to the reel stem. That's all that matters, and easily puts everyone on the same page. Around here that is usually 10.5 - 11.25 inches. (ultra lights being some what shorter) As said, if you like it, it's good!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2023 07:41PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 16, 2023 08:02PM

All my shorter rods have longer rear grips than what most typically use but that's my personal preference . I need the ability to cast as far as possible where I fish so the longer handle allows that . For the application you explained you will be using it for , it may be a little too long but it's already completed so live and learn .

Never guess on handle length , temporarily attach the reel you plan on using and go outside and go through all the motions on how you will be using it . You will quickly figure out what length is most comfortable and what length works the best for what you plan on using the rod for .

You will know for sure after you go out and fish with it , it's not the end of the world if you find out you made a mistake its happened to all of us . I hope you find it's just right and have an incredibly successful day .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2023 08:03PM by chris c nash.

Date: August 16, 2023 08:26PM

It would be better to drop the use of inches altogether as not all hands and forearms are the same length. The better way to express handle length is where the butt of the rod hits your forearm.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 16, 2023 08:34PM

LMAO.

Date: August 16, 2023 09:16PM

You can laugh all you want, but an 11 inch rear grip won't be the same effective length for each person. What matters is where the rod butt meets your forearm, elbow, etc. And that usually means the actual length in inches will be different for each person.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: August 16, 2023 09:42PM

Al purvis Wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Here’s a photo of my 6’ medium light spinning
> rod I am finishing up. This is actually my first
> spinning rod and I built it for finesse fishing
> for bass in my home river that I wade fish a lot.
> It may be used for throwing some small plastics
> inshore fishing from time to time but I don’t do
> too much of that honestly.
>
> Anyways, I didn’t own a spinning rod to compare
> to and it’s been years since I’ve spin fished
> and my question is this: is my handle too long? I
> measured it to intentionally put the fighting butt
> into the thickest point in my arm and it felt good
> to me. So far test casting it feels great as well
> and I’m measuring from bottom of butt cap to the
> bottom of reel seat (to the threads on an up
> locking seat) 8 3/4.” Total length from butt cap
> to the reel seat stem is 11” and to the top of
> the top piece of cork is 14.” I just wasn’t
> sure if this would be considered too long and if
> any issues may arise as a result. I know I’m
> asking the question a little late in the process
> now I just wanted to know going forward.

Yes that rear grip is a little too long for that type rod IMO. For a 6’ light bass fishing you only need the rod butt to reach back about 1/2 of the way between your wrist and your elbow. That is plenty. For the same rod in a heavier power for larger lures and heavier line make the butt reach back about 2/3rds of the distance from your write to your elbow about like you have this one. That length is about right for most any heavy bass rod up to 7 or 7’6”. Only if you are going to a heavy 8 footer and maybe throwing large swimbaits would I take it all the way back to maybe an inch forward of the elbow. Saltwater rods will be a little different for me because the fish are stronger so I would make them just a little bit longer back on your arm. Maybe an inch or inch and a half longer than I make the same length rod for freshwater bass.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: August 16, 2023 10:47PM

From my calculations the reel should be centered @ 12”…

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: August 16, 2023 11:25PM

As pointed out, you lose quite a bit of your 6’ with that long of a grip. But, if you like it, that’s all that matters. As for full grips vs split, I prefer a full grip because I’m generally a two handed caster. That said, I have a couple of store bought rods that have split grips and I cast them just fine. That leads me to believe some of our preferences are little more than some psychological hang up we have. That said, any rod I build for myself, including a large swimbait rod I have on the bench, will have a full cork grip. Lol

Roger Seider (spell?), read my mind when he said “Cork to a fishing rod is like leather to a cowboy boot” (or something to that effect).

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 16, 2023 11:27PM

Al,
If it feels good to you, then go for it!!! That is what makes a custom just that, CUSTOM. Other’s opinions on proper grip length are just that = their opinions. Fish the rod and note how the grip length feels; if too short then lengthen it; if too long then shorten it. It really is as simple as that = whatever works for you is PERFECT!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 16, 2023 11:44PM

Michael Tarr Wrote:
> From my calculations the reel should be centered @
> 12”…

Michael,

Are you saying the reel stem should measure at 12”? How are you getting that number?

Thanks for everyone’s input

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 17, 2023 01:26AM

Al,
Decisive length measurements are immaterial; no one here can stipulate a “perfect length” for your particular situation = test, test, test = there is NO magic number. The only “magic” is derived after testing and / or practical use. Sorry for not supplying a more definite answer, but hopefully you realize that is impossible. While opinions may get you close, hands-on will dial it all in; if you like it, then it's perfect!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 17, 2023 07:37AM

I agree with Lynn that when asking for and giving advice on rod dimensions the stem to butt dimension be used since all seats are not the same, up vs. downlocking, etc. Yes, it's about ergonomics, but using butt relationship to the position on the arm has the hazard of being interpreted differently by different builders.

The optimum dimension, of course, depends on preferences, type of fishing, type of casting, ergonomics based on user, clothing planned, etc etc. But usually it comes down to inches when building the rod, and IMO the best way to discuss it is stem to butt. Inches.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-107.net)
Date: August 17, 2023 09:08AM

Even measured from the reel stem if you have the same distance in inches to the butt and two guys hold the reel seat differently and/or have different length forearms, they will not be fishing with the same length handles. I have seen some spinning reel guys split the stem between their 2nd and 3rd fingers and others split it at the 1st and 2nd. Some casting reel guys palm the reel with the trigger behind their 1st finger and others have the trigger behind their 2nd or even 3rd finger. So a 12 inch grip will be a different length for each one of them. Length in inches is just a poor way to describe handle length.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2023 09:10AM by Mike Ballard.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster