I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best finish for cord?
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: August 14, 2023 10:14PM

I just finished a flipping rod for a customer and did a para cord grip per his request. This is the first time I’ve done para cord. It turned out well, but the customer didn’t specify any finish for it. Is it customary to leave it unfinished? If not, what should I use? Thanks! I’m concerned about a finish because it is a multicolor patriotic color scheme and I don’t want to ruin it. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best finish for cord?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2023 10:52AM

To me, paracord is too soft. About anything you coat it with tends to soften or crack in use. I use braided nylon and coat it with a couple coats of exterior urethane. It creates a rough texture, however. Good for surf rods and the like but maybe not for other uses.

So, if you leave the paracord uncoated there may be a tendency for it to shift under use. But I'm not really sure what the best product would be. Almost surely it'll darken with any oil based finish type.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: August 15, 2023 01:51PM

I don't have experience with this process, but perhaps a color preserver could be applied prior to a final finish with thread finish? Testing a sample before doing it on the rod is in order.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: August 15, 2023 04:39PM

I like the test idea. Think I’ll play around with a small sample.

On a side note, I think having para cord as a grip on a fishing rod is nutty, but it’s what he wanted.

Posted by: Robert Sunjara (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: August 15, 2023 05:48PM

I tend to not use paracord, but its a semi-popular handle material for a lot of saltwater rods made in Southern California, even used on some factory rods. A lot of the builders there coat cord with a clear water based spar urethane. If you don't treat the cord it will get sun damaged quickly and any colors will fade. Much like rod finish and thread, if the cord has any bright colors you want to keep you will want to put color preserver on it first and then the spar varnish on it after the CP has dried.

I would personally test wrap something like a wooden dowel and then see how it comes out before doing it on the finished rod.

Date: August 15, 2023 09:24PM

I'm doing a sample test now with CP. And, as luck would have it, I happen to have some clear urethane so I'll definitely give that a try once the CP is dry. Thanks!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 15, 2023 09:50PM

I used a nylon mason cord made by T. W. Evans in their yellow/gold bought at Home Depot years ago to wrap some Lamiglas honey glass rod grips, once the varnish was on it became very close to the blank color, just a tad to orange if I remember right. There is lots of colors available.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 16, 2023 05:07PM

IMO any finish that impregnates the cord will work, the para cord will harden and become solid. No different than a Carbon Fiber sleeve over a core.

The only issue I see is that paracord is soft and not consistently round and will result in an uneven surface along the length of the grip. I guess if you are careful wrapping the paracord it can be massaged and applied evenly prior to finishing.

Have fun

Date: August 16, 2023 11:32PM

I have shown the sample with CP on it to the customer and he was good so off we go with part two of the test which is to put the clear urethane on the sample. One thing I noticed after the CP dried is the colors did darken slightly. I also can’t help wondering if the cord will become brittle over time (after the urethane). I don’t know. I guess time will tell. I’m just glad I’m a creature of habit for my personal rods. I like my cork grips and see no reason to change.

Posted by: Robert Sunjara (12.252.7.---)
Date: August 17, 2023 05:16AM

Ideally you want enough to soak in to the cord, but not so much as to create a coat of it built up on top of the cord. I wish I could help more but most of my personal experience is with Atwood 1/16” and tarried siene cords. Also, I’m not sure if you did this, but you can get paracord to lay flatter by removing the core.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 17, 2023 08:31AM

Hello All.

Here is a little reading for you.

Vol/Issue......Article......................Author.........................Page.
18/5 Handles, Cord Under Glass. By Tom Kirkman. 16
9/3 Handles, Cord Wrapped . By Emory Harry. 10
15/6 Handles, Corded Tennessee By Tom Kirkman. 22

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: December 22, 2023 10:59PM

It is not paracord!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 23, 2023 01:45PM

Hello All.

Some reading for your enjoyment.

Volume/Issue.......Article................Author..................Page.
18/5 Cord Under Glass. By Tom Kirkman. 16
9/3 Cord Wrapped Handles. (Emory Harry). 10
15/6 Corded Tennessee By Tom Kirkman. 22

Have Fun.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster