I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

When to go double foot
Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---)
Date: August 07, 2023 06:34PM

Curious if anyone one has any standard on when they transition to double foot guides vs singles. I've been distance casting 3/4oz to 1 1/2oz lures on a spinning rig for 3 years and nearly every guide has cracking on finish (thread master) at end of guide foot, and diagonally across wrap. Is this in indication that I should make the move to double foot? Rod is capable of doing over 110yrds with a 1 oz spoon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When to go double foot
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2023 08:37PM

With double foot guides you'll just have twice as much cracking, one on each foot.

Generally, other than very heavy power rods I use a combination - dbl foots on the bottom half and single foots on the upper half, or at least on whatever length is beyond the real power in the rod.

There is no such thing as a "modern" line guide. I wish there was. Guides trail blank development by at least 25 years.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: August 08, 2023 06:07AM

Tom, has any manufacturer tried spring steel guide feet? Is that even a viable solution?

Date: August 08, 2023 09:10AM

If the guide has any steel in it, then it's not a solution. Been a long, long time since anybody made rod blanks from steel, or even aluminum.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: August 08, 2023 11:52AM

I'm thinking that if a double foot guide can be made flexible it would eliminate finish cracking.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (107.1.212.---)
Date: August 08, 2023 02:01PM

Mark Brassett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm thinking that if a double foot guide can be
> made flexible it would eliminate finish cracking.

REC Guides are flexible. A large high frame single foot guide is somewhat flexible and the base will crack. I put a couple wraps in front of the foot to help with the cracking on high frame single foot guides. It seems to work pretty good till it really gets flexed hard.

Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.adr02.snpr.wi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 08, 2023 04:59PM

Thnx guys--so to this there is no solution!

Date: August 08, 2023 05:25PM

The foot has to be flexible. A thinner foot is more flexible, but also more likely to fail. The best you can do is grind/file a very shallow taper onto the foot end. This allows a bit more flex in the area where you get the cracking.

Other materials, such as the composite nylons that are used to make reel seats, would be a much better material than any metal for guide frames. They would also be more expensive than simple, stamped steel frames.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: August 08, 2023 06:01PM

Has anyone tried the Diawa Air Guide System? I haven’t so I’m not sure if they flex, just another option for guides.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: August 08, 2023 07:24PM

The cracking happens mostly on the first few guides with the larger and thicker feet, I have found. The runners (single foot) don't seem to crack so much.

I have carefully sanded and re-applied thread epoxy to repair cracks before. Looks new when finished. Will crack again after time and use has passed, of course, but it is all good for quite awhile.

There's a solution, just not a permanent and forever one in my experience.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: August 08, 2023 10:06PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> If the guide has any steel in it, then it's not a
> solution. Been a long, long time since anybody
> made rod blanks from steel, or even aluminum.
>
> .............

Actually, there's an outfit that makes them now. Look up Emmrod fishing rods. Not my cup of tea, but they have a following.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: August 09, 2023 06:47AM

Emmrod…

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: August 09, 2023 02:16PM

Michael Tarr Wrote:
> Has anyone tried the Diawa Air Guide System? I
> haven’t so I’m not sure if they flex, just
> another option for guides.

My personal repair experience has had a number of these guides that broke at the foot/leg bend. Online quotes also cite breakage problems.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 09, 2023 02:50PM

Repairs on one of those guides I hear is in the $100 range. Daiwa won't supply you with one, I think a better option is, if they could figure out how, is to use a material similar to the new carbon/nylon reel seats.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 10, 2023 03:59PM

Tim,
Consider using a different thread wrap finish.

Do some investigation and see if you can find and use a finish that is not as hard and stiff as your current finish.

I finish is less susceptible to cracking if, the finish itself is a bit more flexible.

Best wishes.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 10, 2023 04:06PM

I have never tried this finish and I have 0 experience in its characteristics.
However, it is advertised as being "non cracking."

[hitenausa.com]

If you wish, you could try a rod using this thread finish and report your results - with respect to finish cracking.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster