I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

painting a rod
Posted by: Dess Daskalov (205.145.163.---)
Date: August 02, 2023 12:57PM

Have couple rods with broken guides. 10 feet 3 oz weight 2 pieces spinning. Just hate to throw things so decided to fix them . Striped the first one with abrasive pad, paint and primer both. What paint and primer to use ,brands and models? Clear finish? Read some topics on forums and internet, feel more confused now? Will appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: painting a rod
Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: August 02, 2023 01:15PM

Krylon Fusion is the brand we've used and recommended for a while now. They have some awesome colors as well.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2023 02:02PM

There are several companies that make paints suitable for rod blanks, such as what Mud Hole mentioned. Perhaps the very best is the Spray-Max type that is a two-part (mix in can) urethane similar to what is used on automobiles. It can be ordered in a number of colors but can be expensive unless you are doing several rods.

If you are okay with simply clear coating the blanks, then PermaGloss is tough to be. Light, clear and tough as nails yet highly flexible.

Beyond these, do a search on the archives here and you'll find many, many other good recommendations.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 03, 2023 09:04AM

Dess,
One can paint a rod and many often do.

However, there are also many many folks who strip a rod and never paint it.
Rather, they sand the finish down to a final sand paper grit of 1200 and that leaves the graphite or fiberglass ultra smooth.

Then, after wiping down, many folks build on the stripped, sanded down, and cleaned up blank.

Then, after the rod has been built and the thread guide finish applied and completely dried, the rod is waxed with a nice wax and they are good to go.

No extra weight build up with finish, pigment, or top finish.

Your choice.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 04, 2023 12:40AM

Dess,
While I have admittedly not tried “Krylon Fusion” rattle cans for painting a blank, off-the-shelf, generally available products often produce less desirable, optimum results than their higher-priced “equivalent” counterparts. While certainly a bit pricey, Tom’s suggestion of SprayMax may be the best, somewhat easily obtainable product available without taking your blank to a quality, bonafide auto body /paint shop; kind-of like a “pay me now or pay me later” scenario.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: August 04, 2023 05:22AM

Roger that, Roger.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 04, 2023 01:26PM

I painted a blank for a lady with clear Krylon Fusion with small metalflake in it at least 17 years ago, she salmon fishes with her husband all the time, still looked fine last Monday when she showed it to me.

Posted by: Dess Daskalov (---)
Date: August 17, 2023 04:43PM

So i did strip all 4 rods.krylon fusion is all in one paint,later I can use PermaGloss on it,please correct me if I m wrong. Don't want to use clear finish only,want them bright white as they were. Much easier to see them night time. Against krylon fusion were complaints like slow drying time and not so great performance. If I go with SprayMax is it better to use their brand primer and which one. Or to go with different brand primer and which one. Prefer to blame myself for screwing up,than the materials that I m using. So far the all-in-one things that I worked with are not inspiring me at all. Thank you guys in advance. About to paint or not to paint rods- where is the point to find a rabbit hole and not to dive there head first?

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2023 09:55PM

Dess,Do a topic search here for Blank Painting Squeegee Material dated Jan 13,2023.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2023 08:09AM

I use Xotic uretahne based airbrush paints. I have used Kryon with good results but Xotic offers many more colors including pearls and metallics. For primers and clear coats I use automotive products.

John

Posted by: Dess Daskalov (---)
Date: August 20, 2023 04:23PM

Did check that Squeegee post. Interesting technique. What if the paint is thined and warmed and the rod is pulled through the membrane up,like painting through immersion. Then hanged and use hairdryer or heat gun pointing down to help the gravity get rid of the extra paint. Any way I prefer the spraying method ,at least I m good at it. Saw that Krylon have a bonding primer,fusion technology, for hard to paint surfaces like ceramic, plastic, wood,etc. Did someone used it?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2023 04:41PM

You will not want to use PermaGloss over an enamel paint. The solvent in the PG will very likely ruin the enamel. And there should be no reason to clear-coat anything. Do this with an all-in-one product. Krylon enamel is not designed to have a clear coat over it.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 20, 2023 08:52PM

The below article has some great information .

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Dess Daskalov (205.145.163.---)
Date: August 21, 2023 08:46AM

thank you Chris,that was really well written and informative article. so just Krylon Fusion, no Krylon primer before that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster