I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread?
Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: July 29, 2023 10:43AM

I have been using a home built thread tension device for many years but don't like the way it deviates with different spools. I bought a tension device from Mudhole (sewing machine type) and need to know how to use it. Mounting, where the thread comes from, etc. A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread?
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: July 29, 2023 08:07PM

Date: July 29, 2023 08:49PM

I built a contraption similar to the one Roger Wilson shows in the photo section. It works great and is the thread is steadier feeding. Thanks Roger.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 30, 2023 01:13AM

Alex,
You are welcome.

Here is the picture of the tension device again. It is simple, works very well and is virtually fool proof.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thread stand and tensioner in use:
[www.rodbuilding.org]?

This is the stand that I made to use 5 lb spools of thread. With this sort of thread spool, always pull the thread off the top of the spool. Then, I come off the top of the spool, up, over and back down to be at the same level as when I use the small spools. I just feed the thread from the 5 lb spools into the thread tensioner from the opposite side of the thread tensioner:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

To make the stand, one simply uses a base - best with a bit of weight added. On the base are two right angle brackets. Hardware store variety.
A single board that I made from oak that is 1/2 x 1 x 12-15 inches, depending on your desired height. The idea of this setup is that the board and be raised and lowered to place the feeding thread to be at about or perhaps just a bit above the height of the rod being wrapped. Then, with the thread on a rod on the base, there is just one point for the thread to go through - which make by simply using a thread guide of standard rod guide construction. A nice thing about this setup, if one does not have a full time rod building setup, is that the arm can fold down flat and require very little storage room.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2023 07:23PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: July 31, 2023 09:30AM

Hey Alex, if you can attach a picture or the model we can tell and show you exactly how to set it up!

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: July 31, 2023 05:06PM

To Mudhole, There is a picture in the photo section called "Thread holder". I don't know how to make a blue url.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2023 05:42PM

Alex, is this the picture?
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Date: August 01, 2023 03:28PM

Yes, thanks Norm.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: August 02, 2023 01:47PM

So, it doesn't look like that was a Mud Hole product. If it is, it is from many years ago.
How to use it: the thread goes from the spool that is sitting on the post, through the eyelet, then through the plates that are mounted sideways and then to the rod

Hope that helps without being an image

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: August 02, 2023 03:31PM

I bought 2 of those from Mudhole 2 weeks ago along with a blank, reel seats, cork and other stuff. If they're old products that's on you. My setup works great

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 02, 2023 07:42PM

Alex, I think you and Mudhole are crossed up here.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 03, 2023 06:08PM

Chris
I use the same thread tensioners and have them on a board (home made) mounted exactly like you do. The only difference between mine and yours is that i feed the thread from the spool directly into the tensioner, then to the eye bolt , then to the rod blank. I don't have the pins between the spool and the tensioner on my setup. I have built 56 or so rods and repaired 10 or 12 with these tensioners without any problems. I will be ordering a third one soon from Mudhole. They do sell them !
Rog

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.63.---)
Date: August 04, 2023 07:44AM

[a-z-animals.com].

I used what I think was a Flex Coat version of this tensioner for many years, thread to tensioner to guide pins and it worked fine. In fact it works better than the ones that contact the ends of the spools because with those the labels interfere with the function at times. I have seen comments that they don't work well on some metallics, but I never had problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster