I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help! "Kelly Green"
Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 29, 2023 03:32AM

I sold a rod build before I realized how difficult it is (for me at least) to find size A "Kelly Green" thread!

I'm taking any and all suggestions on this one!

I have a few that I am looking at, but if you Google "Kelly Green", and try to find a match, it seems to be difficult to "match" the color.

ProWrap comes up with Neon Green, Fuji Ultra has "Medium Green" and "Spring Green", but they just dont hit the nail on the head, if you know what I mean!

I'll send photos of the "pre wrap" to the customer for his approval before I get started, but I want to get in the ballpark before I do.

I'm one step short of using standard sewing thread and dousing it in CP, but I hate using CP so I'm looking for options.

Any and all help appreciated!

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! "Kelly Green"
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: July 29, 2023 06:26AM

Can't help you with the Kelly green but after looking at your gallery I think you'll be able to figure out something. 3-D printed custom parts are awesome.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.63.---)
Date: July 29, 2023 07:13AM

photos won't help since computers and displays vary so much. Go to a embroidery shop and find the best color in Madeira Polyneon thread. You will have to use color preservative. Do not consider Madera rayon-it doesn't work even with CP.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: July 29, 2023 09:49AM

I have some ProWrap in Guacamole that is pretty similar to Kelly green, IIRC.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 29, 2023 10:13AM

I'm not sure if Daryl was speaking about using CP with the Pro Wrap Guacamole, but if he meant without CP, then I'd have to agree. Definitely a color you want to give consideration to. If you're building this rod for a Notre Dame fan, I think your customer would be extremely happy with it.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: July 29, 2023 11:50AM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not sure if Daryl was speaking about using CP
> with the Pro Wrap Guacamole, but if he meant
> without CP, then I'd have to agree. Definitely a
> color you want to give consideration to. If you're
> building this rod for a Notre Dame fan, I think
> your customer would be extremely happy with it.

Without. The code for ProWrap Colorfast is 513. I have it in size D. I've not used mine yet so can't speak to how it looks as a finished wrap.

Speaking of Notre Dame. I just sold a Notre Dame themed rod about a month ago. I used a dark blue CRB blank (IS701) and Fuji Ultra Poly in color 014 (Goldenrod) without CP and it came out great.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 12:00PM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 29, 2023 12:09PM

The St. Croix Wild River and Tidemaster rods had what I would call Kelly Green wraps on them in the past. It was Gudebrod # 6779 Medium Green with no CP. Don't think I have any left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 08:05PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2023 12:22PM

I have an old Gudebrod 50 yd spool size A color 358 regular nylon. Do not know what Gudebrod called this color, but it is a medium green to my eye. You can have it if you want it.
Norm

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 29, 2023 04:22PM

Tony Boschi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sold a rod build before I realized how difficult
> it is (for me at least) to find size A "Kelly
> Green" thread!
>
> I'm taking any and all suggestions on this one!
>
> I have a few that I am looking at, but if you
> Google "Kelly Green", and try to find a match, it
> seems to be difficult to "match" the color.
>
> ProWrap comes up with Neon Green, Fuji Ultra has
> "Medium Green" and "Spring Green", but they just
> dont hit the nail on the head, if you know what I
> mean!
>
> I'll send photos of the "pre wrap" to the customer
> for his approval before I get started, but I want
> to get in the ballpark before I do.
>
> I'm one step short of using standard sewing thread
> and dousing it in CP, but I hate using CP so I'm
> looking for options.
>
> Any and all help appreciated!

Look at MADEIRA THREAD. Lot of colors. if you find a match be sure to use CP.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 29, 2023 05:42PM

Thanks for all the fantastic replies and as matter in fact, I have a spool of size A Guac, I'll give it a good second look as well as all the other suggestions. The rod is not for a Notre Dame fan, this lucky guys parents stopped by my booth and just said they wanted me to make a White 7' inshore 8 - 15, with all the bells and whistles and OH, Can you make the accent color "Kelly Green", as usual I said "No Problem" !! And that led to this!

Norm Miller, if you dont mind getting rid of your Gudebrod, I'll take it! I have a Paypal and can send you the shipping charges.

By the way, thanks for the compliment Mr Brasset, I am about to redo my gallery and there are some super updates coming!

I also realized I let my ad subscription on this site lapse, I guess I HAVE been busy!

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.63.---)
Date: July 29, 2023 08:38PM

I submit that any medium green will satisfy the customer. What is "kelly green?"

In a RGB color space (made from three colored lights for red, green, and blue), hex #4CBB17 is made of 29.8% red, 73.3% green and 9% blue. In a CMYK color space (also known as process color, or four color, and used in color printing), hex #4CBB17 is made of 59% cyan, 0% magenta, 88% yellow and 27% black. Kelly Green has a hue angle of 100.6 degrees, a saturation of 78.1% and a lightness of 41.2%.

What is the Pantone color of Kelly green?
The Pantone 16-6138 TPG Kelly Green is the color

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 29, 2023 09:44PM

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2023 04:30PM

With the blank being white, you aren't going to get the same results I did with the Guacamole Pro Wrap and no CP.

I used it on a natural graphite blank, so it darkened quite a bit. With the white background it's not going to darken nearly as much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2023 04:31PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 03, 2023 11:14AM

Pro Wrap and Fish Hawk thread used to list the color matching Gudebrod, under their part number was a "G" number for Gudebrod. Fish Hawk uses the same 3 number part number as Godebrod for similar thread, if the Gudebrod number was 4 numbers, they use the last three. The #6779 thread I mentioned is Fish Hawk #779.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2023 11:31AM

Spencer - Did not know about the Fish Hawk number system. So, quite helpful.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster