I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Clear silk wraps
Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: July 27, 2023 01:20PM

I couldn’t find Hitena natural silk for invisible wraps. So looking for alternative,

212 Natural White - YLI 100wt Silk Thread,

Has anyone tried this, I use YLI 100wt and Kimono silk on rods and like both products

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clear silk wraps
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2023 06:54AM

I would give Clover brand #401 a try. Personally, it’s a better quality thread than YLI. On a couple of recent builds I’ve done on CTS Quartz Glass, Pure and Shoot colored blanks, the Clover 401 went totally clear.

I’ve also used the Clover 401 on “clear” Livingston Glass with the same results.

I used Gen 4 as a finish.

Just do some test wraps, may not work depending on the base color of your blank.

YLI Natural does work, in my opinion, it has too many “fuzzies” in the strands.

Date: July 28, 2023 08:54AM

Thanks Bill, will try it.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: July 28, 2023 10:42AM

Bill Hickey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would give Clover brand #401 a try. Personally,
> it’s a better quality thread than YLI. On a
> couple of recent builds I’ve done on CTS Quartz
> Glass, Pure and Shoot colored blanks, the Clover
> 401 went totally clear.
>
> I’ve also used the Clover 401 on “clear”
> Livingston Glass with the same results.
>
> I used Gen 4 as a finish.
>
> Just do some test wraps, may not work depending on
> the base color of your blank.
>
> YLI Natural does work, in my opinion, it has too
> many “fuzzies” in the strands.

Bill so you are actually using a larger diameter 50 wt clover than the YLI 100 wt?

Date: July 28, 2023 05:38PM

Yes, the 50wt.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: July 28, 2023 06:05PM

Mike

The YLI 100 weight color 212 is all I have used for years.

Do not over pack nor too tightly wrap. Practice is a good idea to get the feel of things.

The only time I use acetone is when making clear wraps. I use 1 part hardener, one part resin, and one part acetone. DO NOT get this witch's brew on your skin and be certain your work area is well ventilated.

Date: July 28, 2023 11:31PM

Thanks Donald,

I have YSI 100wt natural white coming Monday, Kimono white and I found a spool of Hitena 4a white silk. So will do a test wrap and epoxy with crystal coat. I’m going to wrap 3 Backbone painted, brook trout, brown trout, not sure of the third yet. Turned the reel seats inserts out of imitation tortoiseshell and anodized the titanium reel seat (CTS) a bronze. Have struble agate guides that are Amber with brown spots. So, I’d better get the wraps right..

Date: August 14, 2023 12:33PM

Bill, I have not tried the CTS glass blank, building on NFC Iconoglass for this project. I use both the Affinity X and M and love these blanks. How would you rate the CTS against other glass Flyrod blanks?

Date: August 14, 2023 05:44PM

Like the CTS carbon blanks, the Quartz Glass are great blanks. Compared to other glass on the market, I'd label them as just a bit faster than medium in flex, with a very even loading feel to them. It gets kinda personal to say they are better than other brands, that depends on what you like in a taper. The quality of the blanks is top shelf, just like their carbon offerings.

I do find that they are lighter in the hand than other comparable blanks when they are the same length and line weight.

If you take a look at my Instagram page, wjudeflyrodco, you'll see some pictures of CTS Quartz blanks with the Clear Wraps.

Date: August 14, 2023 08:49PM

Thanks Bill I was looking at getting a 4wt..

Mike

Date: August 14, 2023 09:46PM

I've built, cast and fished the 764-4, 804-4, and 864-4. The 764 is a great small stream rod, since it is short, it will feel pretty quick, snappy for glass. The 804 is in the middle, very smooth. The 864 is very nice for small dries and fine tippets. I'd base your choice on what type of water you want to fish it in.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: August 16, 2023 09:43PM

Hitena is the stuff. Call Gabe and ask.

Date: August 16, 2023 10:54PM

Thanks I agree and found 2 spools of 4A, I had stashed away????

Date: August 30, 2023 12:25PM

I did test wraps with the Hitena 4A, clover,YLI and Kimono white rice (Kimono is my silk standard thread). I probably wrap with more tension than I should.

I use CTS crystal coat epoxy finish and in this process I diluted with 20% isopropyl alcohol 91%. I applied the fish coat which was soaked up immediately a very thin first coat. Second coat was just standard crystal coat, no dilution and again a very thin coat. After 2 coat I made any corrections with stickups and again a very this coat of crystal coat. I allowed for a 24hr dry time between coats.

I have tried to take pictures, but without a macro lens no luck in photo quality.

My conclusion is all we’re very successful and only difference I could see were thread wrapping errors, and fuzzies. So, I’m going to use the Kimono white rice, not sure the first coat dilution is necessary, but I was very pleased with the results, so will continue.

Maybe my bias to 100wt thread and thread quality from Kimono.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2023 01:32PM

The CTS Crystal Coat is the thinnest modern finish I’ve ever used. I doubt very much that you need to thin it.
Norm

Date: August 30, 2023 02:01PM

I agree Norm, just with 100wt thread and tightly packed, didn’t think it would hurt.????

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: August 30, 2023 02:28PM

Be careful with excessive thread tension and packing else you're at risk of creating the "shimmers" which is a fog like appearance caused by tiny, tiny trapped air bubbles. It's a counter-intuitive thing where you would think more tension and packing than your usual would be just the right thing - but it is not.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2023 02:46PM

Thinning doesn’t appear to hurt, but it’s probably not necessary. Crystal Coat is very thin and very slow curing, so it should penetrate the very thin 100 wgt silk with no problems.
Norm

Date: August 30, 2023 04:00PM

Donald,

The micro bubbles were my main concern. But I agree with Norm and I contacted CTS, they said unnecessary to dilute. But, just out of caution, I did dilute and I’m sure my tension was more than I needed, but Crystal Coat is great against bubbles. So, I though as a precaution, thin Crystal Coat slightly, super thin coat that exposed the top of all threads would be the way to go. As with all rod building, under my room, temperature, the tools I use, my thread, it worked beautifully for me.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and help.

Mike

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: August 30, 2023 08:15PM

There is absolutely no need to thin Crystal Coat for clear silk wraps! I have done many without thinning, no bubbles, clear as glass !

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster