I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best tuna live bait/bait blank
Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (71.24.113.---)
Date: July 25, 2023 02:57PM

I have built several tuna rods prior to the new generation of blanks and want to build a killer rod that is light, strong, and can put significant pressure on a fish. This is for NE tuna fishing mostly from Headboats so fish can be 30-40lbs to 150 lbs. Have also gotten swords in the mix. Nothing like catching a big fish on a self built rod. Looking for conventional setup.

Thanks,
Mitch

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best tuna live bait/bait blank
Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: July 25, 2023 06:07PM

Links to our most popular Rainshadow models for head boat tuna are listed below. Feel free to reach out to us directly if you want to chat about specific options for your type of fishing. Full contact info is available at BatsonEnterprises.com

RCTB Tuna Series (Fast-Action Rail Rods)
[batsonenterprises.com]

RCJB Jig/Boat Serires (Mod-Fast to Fast Acton)
[batsonenterprises.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: July 25, 2023 06:12PM

Thanks for the quick response. I will look these over and call with any questions.
Mitch

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 25, 2023 06:13PM

Hi Mitchell.

What type of "live Baiting" are you going to do with this rod?

Build#/Mfg/ Model.........../lgth..../.line#........./.type.../.butt../.tip........speed/power...../.weight......./........notes.
272 Batson FSU56XXH 5'6" 80-100# Stand-Up 0.990 15.0 Moderate XX-Heavy 14.9oz. Recommended by Keven Knox.

I use this one mostly for grouper but if there is a deep tuna bite I drop a live snapper or grunt, but for top I cut off my sinker and drift the bait on top.

But I'm old school, most of the younger guy's like a longer blank with a fancy spinning set-up.
This is set-up with American Rollers for an Acid wrap.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: July 25, 2023 07:03PM

Calstar, Seeker, and Phoneix are some names to consider.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---)
Date: July 25, 2023 09:22PM

I will be live bait fishing with squid or mackerel and bait fishing with butterfish or anchovies. I would prefer a slightly longer rod than 5’6” because I will mostly be fishing from party boats and it will help keep the line away from the boat. I have a Sabre Stroker 80-130 rod that I made 25 years ago that is a slayer with amazing leverage. It is heavy compared to current standards and is not easy to stand and hold for long hours hence the desire to build a rod on a light blank that can leverage a big fish. I have looked at Thrasher and Blackhole blanks and have built a Phoenix blank that when I hooked a 30 lb long fin was disappointed with the action but it was probably not the right blank.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 26, 2023 12:19AM

Mitchell,
The old-school Sabres have slayed more than their fair share of tuna. Likewise with Calstar, Seeker, Thrasher and more. Those old-school blanks were E-glass, and although possibly cutting-edge technology back then, I believe that nothing has changed since. Yes, CF is the modern day wonder fabric and rightfully so with its unparalleled stiffness equating to smaller diameters and less weight. But CF falls short of the TOUGHNESS of E-glass, even S-glass, which is required for the torture applied to an off-shore rod. Seriously consider sticking with a FG (E or S glass) blank, possibly with a few plies of CF on the lower ½ to ? of the blank.
To add even more to your fishing pleasure, spiral warp the guides!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 26, 2023 10:25AM

Love your answer Mike. My Sabre has caught over 50 tuna to 200lbs and most fights are over in less than 15 minutes. Do you have any specific model of the Calstar, Seeker, or Thrasher to recommend.
Thanks,
Mitch

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2023 10:51AM

Stryker rods are made in the USA, and they have some nice blanks.
Norm

Date: July 27, 2023 01:05AM

Mitchell,
If you can land a 200lb tuna in 15 minutes, you are certainly a better man than me!!!
Without further information, your question of brand / model is impossible to answer; stand-up rod, rail rod, fighting chair / rod holder rod?.?. Will a harness be involved? If so, where is the “butt cup” positioned in relation to your belt line? Those are just starter questions before selecting a blank. Get your info and desires inline and then call any of them for their recommendation. By the way, Geoff mentioned Batson blanks. While I have built a few UL Rainshadow blanks, I have not built a tuna stick from them; but ANYTHING from Batson is certainly top-notch and worthy of your consideration. As for Norman’s recommendation of Stryker blanks, I haven’t a clue.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 27, 2023 01:59PM

Most fights, not all. Will be a stand up which may involve a harness occasionally. Used on a headboat or less frequently private boat. I have used Batson products on many builds but are not familiar with their tuna type blanks.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: July 27, 2023 03:23PM

MHX X-Fighters would be the deal for this application. Depending on the length of rod you want, and if you're using an aluminum butt or gluing grips and a handle, and what line you'll use the exact blank could change. Here's the page for all of the X-Fighters [mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: July 28, 2023 09:02AM

The Batson extreme do get some love on the tuna forums. There is a recent video of a west coast shop comparing bends on a couple entry rods followed by the rainshadow (I think the build on it for shop rods) and then US composites and a Calstar(?). Lifting a 25lb weight.
There are some other comparisons of bend profiles of seeker, UC, calstar. A bit of lightness vs durability, graphite vs composite. I have been looking at the same types of blanks and haven’t pulled the trigger yet. A few hours drive for me to find a shop that has anything close.

Looking for a rail rod?

Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.res-cmts.leh2.ptd.net)
Date: July 29, 2023 02:19PM

OOOOOH GOODIE! My favorite topic. My ABSOLUTE favorite thing to do is Partyboat tuna fish in the Northeast Canyons.
I've had numerous discussions on this forum about tuna fishing rods but very few people could relate to what I think is a very "unique" fishing platform = the Northeast Canyon Partyboat. I've learned A LOT from Mark Talmo who also enjoys Partyboat tuna fishing BUT Mark fishes in the Southwest, where it seems the style is a little different than what I view as OUR style.
The very reason I fell victim to this rod building disease is because I feel like there is no commercial source to find the ideal partyboat tuna rod. No shelf to buy one from. To me...the ideal rod is 7-8 feet long. Right there is where most "normal" tuna fishermen say "WHAT? 7'-8' long? The fish will destroy you". And I share that opinion under "normal" standup tuna fishing conditions. HOWEVER, the partyboat has a 3' high rail all the way around the boat and THE RAIL IS YOUR FRIEND. I like to incorporate a 10"-12" foregrip to be able to rest the blank on the rail. I like to use a 14"-16" butt grip, depending on how long your arms are. I usually just use a round rubber butt cap that tucks fairly comfortably into my fat belly. Personally, I don't like to use fighting belt because they impede me from being able to "follow" a diving tuna under the boat which could result in line being rubbed off on the keel.
As far as blanks go...my two favorites are:
MHX Nearshore Saltwater Blank: Model # SW70H or SW76H or
United Composite Challenger Elite Dual Helix CE700HX or CE800 Monster
NFC RPK 7'0"
These blanks are all CRAZY strong and light as a feather. I fish them mostly with 30-40lb mono but also often with 60-80lb mono when the fish are stupid and not line shy. The largest reel I use is of the 30 series.
It sounds ridiculous to target 200lb tuna with 30lb mono but it real IS practical if the tools (rod,reel,line) are matched and up to the task. These blanks are SO strong yet soft enough to absorb linebreaking turns and runs. We abuse (HIGHSTICK) these things for DAYS without failure.
Last but CERTAINLY not least...NEVER fish for tuna on a rod that not SPIRAL WRAPPED.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: July 30, 2023 01:59PM

Thanks John,
The CE Monster, wahoo, del mar are all models Have been looking at (8’) as well as the rainshadow rail rod

Date: July 30, 2023 05:42PM

While there may be differences between East and West coast tuna fishing, the angler is, nonetheless, holding the rod against a large and angry fish, unless using a fighting chair or rod holder. Simple lever mechanics indicate that a shorter lever (the rod) will reduce the leverage and hence the force the fish will be able to apply to the angler. Personally, I see no benefit of employing a rod longer than 6’6” for a rail rod, with 6’ being my typical length for a stand-up rod.
Some of the best information and explanations for a stand-up tuna rod available is within Tom Kirkman’s reprinted article, “Stand-Up rods” in V21-3 of RodMaker magazine; if you do not own a copy GET ONE!!! And it is not just Tom’s opinion; he recruited the assistance of three other well known, big game rod builders as well.
That article laid down a very firm foundation for my offshore builds from which to expand upon and modify for my personal preferences. If someone wants an 8’ tuna stick, then so be it; afterall, that’s one of the things that makes it a custom rod!
If it helps, some personal-use rods which I have built;
Seeker CJBF65H, 6’6”, 30-50LB, spiral, personally fabricated rollers
Seeker CTF63XXH, 6’6”, 40-100LB, spiral All American Roller Guides
Calstar BT660/H, 6’, 30-80LB, spiral AARG
2 rod custom built for me back in the early 90s before learning to build my own;
Calstar WT-665, 6’6”, ?lb, ring guides on top
Calstar 655XH, 5’5”, ?lb, roller guides on top

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 30, 2023 06:05PM

Hello Mark.

Her are some of the articles on building salt water heavy rods.
Vol/Issue.........Article............................Author.................Page.
21/3 Complete Guide To Building Stand-Up Rods. By Tom Kirkman, Mike Ballard, Ian Miller, & Tom Kohl. 22
5/6 Build: Stand-Up Rods, A Guide For Building Them. By Tom Kirkman. 22
13/4 Build: Saltwater Rod Construction, Heavy Duty. By Capt. Mike Ballard. 10
26/1 Build: Saltwater Magic Wands #1-The Ocean Bottom Fishing Rod By Rich Forhan. 12

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 30, 2023 07:02PM

Robert,
Yet again, you have proven to be a perpetual vast resource to this forum; we all owe you our sincere appreciation and gratitude. Do you dream numbers lol?
The V26/1 RM article is very recent and which I’ve read. As is the 21/3 article which I mentioned in my reply which is (I think) a reprint of the original 5/6 article. The only one of your categorized issues which I have not read is Mike Ballard’s 13/4 article.
HEY TOM, it seems that reprinting Mike’s article may be due along with publishing (or better yet, an easily updated list here on RB.O) the categorized list of RM articles which Robert has so generously and graciously compiled and offered.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---)
Date: July 30, 2023 09:05PM

Jon, Mark, and Robert

Thanks for the well thought out answers. I have been NE Party Boat tuna fishing since 1984 from Point Judith to NJ and from Hydrographer to Baltimore canyons. My built go to rod has been a 5’8” Saber Stroker rated 80-130 that I built with a Penn 50 TW International in 1990 with grip lengths as described. I have used the rod as a rail rod at times and can put significant leverage on the fish with that setup. That outfit has over 50 tuna and 2 Swords on it. I would like to build a new outfit that is lighter to hold for long hours and will check out the blanks recommended.

Take care,
Mitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2023 09:11PM by Mitchell Karmel.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (38.40.69.---)
Date: July 31, 2023 07:41AM

Building a custom rod for Northeast tuna fishing sounds awesome! We recommend trying the MHX Tuna Blanks we talked about earlier. They're light, strong, and perfect for handling 30-150lbs fish, including swords. You'll love the feeling of catching big fish on your own rod. Good luck with your project!

MHX Tuna Blanks
[mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster