I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on blank selection for salmon rod.
Posted by: Steve finlayson (---.cc.shawcable.net)
Date: July 24, 2023 05:55PM

I am looking for blanks that are similar to G-Loomis E6X 10.5" salmon mooching/downrigger rod. The E6X I have is a durable medium/heavy 10-30 pound, medium/fast action rod that has survived my clumsy hands for 6 plus years. I built two rods using the NFC SA 1065-2 (IM) blanks but they quickly broke fighting average sized chinook(King) salmon. I prefer the light feel and responsiveness of graphite over E-Glass. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good blank for this application.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on blank selection for salmon rod.
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (194.124.76.---)
Date: July 24, 2023 09:53PM

Steve,
CTS has many Steelhead blanks to choose from.
The following are some examples:
EST1101-2 0.5-1.0
EST1105-2 Salmon / Steelhead 11'0" 12-20lb / 1.25-2.25oz
EST1106-2 Salmon / Steelhead 11'0" 15-25lb / 1.5-3oz
EST1105-2 12-20lb / 1.25-2.25oz don't have recent data - what I can see is OD14.5mm, tip 2.0mm, weight 141g
EST1106-2 15-25lb / 1.5-3oz don't have data on this one - poss 178g
EST 801-2. 0.5-1.0 OZ
EST 901-2 0.5 – 1.0 OZ.
EST 1001-2 0.5 – 1.0 OZ.
EST 1002-2. 0.75 – 1.5 OZ

Send email for secial RB.Org pricing If any interest you
Regards,
Herb Ladenheim
CTS Rep

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: July 24, 2023 11:01PM

Rainshadow offers these in their RX6, RX7, and RX8 series. The first two of these are lower in price as they are lower modulus. They are going to be in the wheel house of being less breakage prone while still being reasonably light.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---)
Date: July 24, 2023 11:31PM

Rainshadow BP1265 is what you're looking for

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 25, 2023 01:08AM

The Batson BP series are composite blanks. The most important thing we need to know is what you are using your Loomis for? Downrigger, 360, mooching, etc. Line weights/powers are subjective, how much lead and type gear you are using isn't.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2023 01:14AM

Steve,

The SA1065s are herring + lead ball trolling blanks, but not recommend for Down Rigger applications. (They are almost fully loaded with the Down Rigger ball clipped on, so when the fish hits your lure, that will take them past the breaking point.

If you want the durability of e-glass, but the lightness of carbon, you need to look at some hybrids.

In the case of NFC the 360 pros, they are a blend of carbon and Zentron and the the “best of both worlds”

[northforkcomposites.com]

Aleks

Posted by: Steve finlayson (45.132.115.---)
Date: July 25, 2023 11:40AM

Spencer

I use the rods in a typical west coast salmon trolling setup. 30lb line, flasher on the line above a spoon/hoochi/herring rig. Clipped into a down-rigger trolling 2 to 3 mph at 150 to 200 ft on the cable. One of the rods broke fighting a mid-sized chinook right at the boat when the fish took it's last run straight down. the other broke when trying to "pop" the line out of the down-rigger clip.

BTW: I very much appreciate the great suggestions on blanks. Very helpful.

SGF

Posted by: Steve finlayson (45.132.115.---)
Date: July 25, 2023 12:39PM

Herb

I went to the CTS website and can't find any of these blanks. Can you send a link so I can take a look at them.

BTW: t's raining up here so I am having a great morning checking out all of the great blank suggestions.

SGF

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 25, 2023 02:13PM

Since you are using a downrigger, you can literally reel your flasher almost into your tip top. Something I learned in the Great Lakes salmon fishery has me using 8 ft. 1 pc. rods for that now, much handier, easier to get fish to the net and lighter also. My river Kwikfish rods are glass. custom builds on the Lamiglas BMB 96 1E, they don't feel anything like my granddad's glass rods. If you liked the NFC rods and want more durability, the Delta blanked rods I have fished gave me no idea they were a composite rod, just like carbon as far as I thought at the time. The Lamiglas Kwik series sure looks like the #1 bought rods out there. The Batson RX4 BP series truly are "Bullet Proof" and their BP 1266 blanked rod was tested with a large cross section of other brands and tied the G Loomis rod for the #1 spot in mooching rods in a Salmon & Steelhead Journal testing. They downrigger fish in Puget Sound right in their backyard, give them a call to set you up with the right blanks.

Posted by: Steve finlayson (172.98.33.---)
Date: July 25, 2023 05:20PM

Spencer

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Lamiglass Kwik series blanks. I did look at the RX4 BP blanks and NFC 360 Pro blanks, both of which look great. I'm still stuck on the 10ft rods for keeping the hook set during the "fight" so whatever I get will be in that length range. Besides they look awesome!!

Thanks again for the help everyone provided. It is much more efficient than the build and break research I was doing.

SGF

Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: July 25, 2023 06:24PM

If you're fishing for average-sized chinook, 15-25lb range, the Rainshadow BP1265 is our most popular 10'6" "do everything" downrigger model. You can set your downrigger clip to the max and crank the tip to the water. This is great for solid hookups down deep, and it clearly telegraphs when you have a shaker on. The RX4 BP's are designed for this type of application. The BP1266 is another step up and great when larger kings are lurking about, bar plunking heavier gear, etc. We also have even heavier custom-modified build suggestions for Columbia River trolling applications (trolling 16-20+ ounces, etc.) We encourage builders and anglers to reach out to us at BatsonEnterprises.com to discuss specifics.

See all RX4 Bulletproof models here: [batsonenterprises.com] (there's also two new-for-2024 9'6" models shown)

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Steve finlayson (172.98.33.---)
Date: July 26, 2023 11:03PM

Geoff

Really like the specs on that blank. Definitely going to build a rod on that blank. And. I will also take advantage of your offer to call and discuss specifics.

One Chinook and a hatchery coho this morning.

Life is good

SGF

Posted by: Steve finlayson (173.239.224.---)
Date: September 04, 2023 03:39PM

Aleks
NFC is honoring the warrantee and sending me two 360 Pro 1065-2 (HYB) blanks. I'll build rods with these blanks this winter use them next summer and provide this post an update. I'll also build rods with the Rainshadow and Lamiglass blanks, but won't be using any of them until april 2024.Look for an update next summer.

Thanks to all for the advice

SGF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster