I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rapid Choke and the KR Concept
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2023 09:00PM

Why is that, if non progressive spacing is better? In my opinion, there is no need for non progressive spacing.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2023 09:02PM by Norman Miller.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: July 22, 2023 10:03PM

I thought about this some more after reading all of your additional posts.

My initial reasoning for leaving the non-progressive spacing in place for my HS760 was because I was unaware of any glitch factor in the KR GPS software at the time. I thought it was just the correct spacing for the specs I entered into the calculator. I thought, "Well, Fuji knows more than me, so I'll go with what they say."

Today, I read what Norm said about the GPS really not being from Fuji, but from Angler's Resource using Fuji's data. I get how computer models can account for a majority of variables, but not all of them - and certainly may be "off" when dealing with the extremes (in this case, very short rods or very long ones). My rod was neither, so I wonder if the glitch was really a glitch...or did I make a mistake?

Practically speaking, when I did the two-line test, the line flow looked really good even though the spacing was "off." Robust stress-bends of the blank did not show any strange or out-of-proportion line angles. It seemed okay. The line was following the natural curve of the blank. Besides, I'm not going to be max stressing this rod deep into the RT and Choker area - and even if I did, it is a relatively thick part of the blank and seems to be bending the way it was made to do when I flex it harder than I would on a fish.

Does it make any sense to think that the KRC guides have TWO jobs to do in two distinct groups? Does the spacing in one group (RT) HAVE to work in the same progressive spacing ratio as the other group (RG)?

Job #1 is the RT group to get the line under control quickly and efficiently. Rapid Choke. This group of guides look different than the rest of the guides because they serve a different purpose. They are sized and spaced accordingly.
Job #2 is the Running Guide Group which also includes the Choker. These guides are all the exact same style and size because it is their job to convey the tamed line from the RT to the end of the rod.

Two kinds of guides for Two kinds of jobs. Can the RT guides have one set of spacing and the RG's another? As long as the line flow is straight and follows the natural curve of the blank...?

On the other hand...The fact that all of Fuji's published guide spacing charts show progressive spacing from butt to tip means something, too! It probably is best to maintain progressive spacing if you respect Fuji's R&D like I do.

Just thinking out loud. I like progressive spacing, too. That HS760 is the first rod I built that doesn't have it from butt to tip...but it does have progressive spacing in the RT Group and separately in the RG Group.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: July 22, 2023 10:37PM

I don't think I've ever come across a blank where perfectly progressive guide spacing ended up being the best possible layout in the end . There are always locations on blanks where a guide or two or even three will not fit the perfectly spaced progressive look that most want in the end IF ones goal is a truly perfect guide setup . There may be sections in a blank that may require two guides to be closer together than some other guides are because that section required them to be closer for the best possible casting or fish fighting performance. What the majority will do is find a way to avoid that issue by moving a few guides out of their truly most beneficial position in an attempt to get the rod to look as progressively spaced as possible especially if one is building for other people . Even when moving a guide or two out of it's truly optimal location the new location based on getting the look of a perfectly spaced rod will not negatively affect the rod in a big way . It will effect it but it will rarely be enough to compromise the rod .

Each of us space guides for excellent performance but just as importantly we space them based on how they look . Most want a progressively spaced look but in most cases the best possible performance for a blank will have guides spaced where the blank is telling us they are needed the most and if you look at the entire layout after you perfect the guide placement by repeated testing you will find that those locations are rarely if ever perfectly progressively spaced . That's when the majority of us start to adjust the spacings in an attempt to get that perfect progressively spaced rod look.

I have a few surf rods that have a guide or two that does not look right when viewing the rod as a whole , it's not blatantly obvious but they are not perfectly progressively spaced but that particular blank told me those locations were where the rod benefitted the most .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 23, 2023 07:29AM

It would seem to me that if the non-progressive spacing were an error in the program that the guides located by it would not be aligned in a "bullseye" fashion. I have not noticed that. Regardless, we have those who use the exact placements of the program and those who alter it slightly, and they all seem to work just fine.

Posted by: Joel Wick (---.norlight.net)
Date: July 27, 2023 01:26PM

Given that the line flows off of a spinning reel spool best if it flows to a point directly in front of the spool, you cannot do any better than Tom K’s original method of using the upsweep of the reel to determine the choke point. All that is left to figure out is height and size of your reduction train.

The caveat is for reel brands that have long stems and/or little upsweep. Compromise is needed to reduce he need for larger guides toward the tip, and bringing the choke point toward the reel in those instances can be beneficial.

It seems to me that little discussion is given to the “reel” part of the equation when building spinning rods, yet the dimensions and construction of the specific reel to be used plays a significant part in the casting efficiency of a combination. For what it is worth, I prefer Daiwa reels for their short stems and angle of upsweep.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: July 27, 2023 02:15PM

Real choice definitely makes a difference. My latest spinning rod I substituted a Shimano Stradic FL 3000 to mockup the guides while waiting on the Daiwa Procyon LT MQ 3000 that will be used on that rod. I used the manual steps for the KR Concept to place the butt guide and the angle difference between brands moved the butt guide about 1 1/4 inches up the blank, moving the rest of the reduction train with it.

Spool diameter isn’t used for the KR Concept, it goes off of the spool shaft angle. New Guide Concept is the one you’d use the spools diameter.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster