I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guy...
Posted by: Alexander Sharpe (---.miami.fl.bluestreamfiber.net)
Date: July 16, 2023 01:14PM

Thank you for this site, It should be required reading and studying for all new retirees. Remember when we day dreamt about fishing while doing the workplace blues, well here is a terrific beginning to the fishing dreams. Build your own when the weather isn't quite right for fishing. Thank you Tom Kirkman?? I believe I read that here someplace. Off to buy a book or two and get started building.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guy...
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 16, 2023 03:04PM

Get Tom's book, Amato Press published it.

Date: July 18, 2023 11:23AM

Thank you sir.

Date: July 20, 2023 01:07PM

I received some information on how to get started from one of our group, thanks a million!

Date: July 20, 2023 02:02PM

I'll simply continue here until told otherwise. Wow am I overwhelmed with the hobby, business, brain teaser, or joyful pursuit of this rod building craft. At each point of entry I need to skip over my aim and look for something else. ie. I look at blanks for instance, then searching for the particular item # I realize I'll need eyes and jump to that page. Or I'll ask about winding thread and end up searching Fuji or some other company and what materials they use. Which is the best? IDK. Where does a fellow begin to build a surfcasting rod that will handle 2-5 oz lures? I'll stop here and post more later. Flex Coat, what a terrific crew by the way, has sent me two books that I'll begin to read just after I finish typing.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: July 20, 2023 03:42PM

Alexander Sharpe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where does a fellow begin to
> build a surfcasting rod that will handle 2-5 oz
> lures?

One place to begin is to just take an existing rod you own and do some repairs on it.
You could change out the guides or just refinish them...etc...etc.

Date: July 20, 2023 05:04PM

Thank you Chris, that's a good idea.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: July 20, 2023 09:24PM

I don’t know enough about surfcasting to give value-added advice. My general advice is to keep the first builds simple and try to really go for neat work. Less is more in function, and you can’t make a mistake on stuff like thread art, decals, and snake skin when you choose to avoid their use. Sir Colin Chapman of Lotus cars fame said “simplify, then add lightness”. I think this pertains even more to fishing rods than to race cars. If you install good components neatly, and get a tight even pack on threads, you won’t miss the needless farkles. After awhile, many will even start to seem tacky.

Don’t hesitate to call the small manufacturers and vendors while being mindful of their time. I’m a Gen4 fan, but now use Flexcoat’s “@#$%& or Highwater” bonding epoxy simply because John is so personable. Andy Dear of Gen4 is as well. Do some business with all of the good people who support our hobby. Casey at VooDoo is top notch, as is Carol at Utmost and Deb at RodGeeks. Rainshadow/Batson is a family business with great service ethics. As a hobbyist, be aware that it takes them as long to talk to you as a manufacturer building tens of thousands of rods.

Drywall tape arbors and carbon inserts in skeletal reel seats are a no brainer approach for first time builders. I’d never recommend the kits or stuff like pipe reel seats because at the end of the project you won’t have a rod that looks different or performs better than a discount store model. I’ll end by saying that I always use similar quality and performance levels for all rod components, especially the blank. I don’t put cheap components on premium blanks, or the inverse.

Date: July 21, 2023 08:21AM

Thank you for your time and advice Kendall Cikanek. " I knew a fellow who asked lots of questions. He asked my advice on a subject and I told him all I believed true. He then again asked our mutual friend the same question and received another reply. Over time I realized he did this often, he'd ask me, he'd ask Bob and any other friend who showed up. Now being a man of some self judged importance I became slightly irked. Why would my friend ask me and then several others the same thing. I guess he doesn't trust my judgement, and I told him so. His reply taught me an important lesson."

" Alex, some folks I trust and some folks I don't trust. Some folks I ask just for amusement because they answer questions even if they don't really know the correct answer. Some folks are competitive and never really answer. In any case all my friends are drawn closer to me because I seek their advice. I think enough of them to ask their opinion and they feel better about themselves and me for the asking. It's also a better way to keep your friends close and your enemies closer. You've heard of that adage haven't you?"

Always with the questions this guy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 21, 2023 09:49AM

Alexander,
just about the very best thing you can do, is to find a rod building class in your area, or find a very good rod builder in your area and have some chats, or if a school is available, take come classes.

Rod building - generally speaking is not terribly difficult. However, to get the really unique and treasured rods, it certainly takes time, talent, and imagination.

Best wishes

Date: July 21, 2023 11:44AM

I agree with you Roger Wilson. They have a few online and the last of Orlando Fla. is today I think. Dec 2nd I believe someone from the Mud Hole will begin a newcomer's course. I already have been struck with the " itchy finger " urge to begin. I'm going to Flex Coat and get an easy wrap tool, something that allows me to control the feed of a wrap. Thanks for responding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster