I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NEW X RAY INSHORE SERIES.
Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: July 16, 2023 12:48PM

Disappointed to say the least , 7'6" max length and no models that even have a lure weight rating of 1 ounce .

The current X RAY models are better suited for inshore fishing imo . I'm probably in the minority though as I need 8 feet minimum length and lure ratings exceeding 1 ounce.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NEW X RAY INSHORE SERIES.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 16, 2023 03:23PM

If I was looking at your lure requirements I'd look at the HS 981-1 (IM) or (HM). A longtime used blank for baby tarpon, permit, barracuda, and the big reds and trout. The tip is light enough to throw tender baits and has the "umph" necessary to make small sharks and cobia possible. Great for surface lures also.

Date: July 16, 2023 09:38PM

Yeah I asked about that one a long time ago and it did seem suitable but I chose to go with an X RAY 7109 instead which is a little short of 8 feet but close enough and the lure rating fit which was up to up to 2 ounce.

I may need to try the HS 981 because even though the 7109 is rated up to 2 ounce I find It a little soft and you have to really lob 2 ounce stuff with it .

Thanks for the advice.

Date: July 17, 2023 12:23AM

It's rated for soaking a weigh and bait or a crankbait, 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 oz. would be my guess casting saltwater gear. They usually cast gear at one third the rated boat rod trolling, etc. rating.

Date: July 17, 2023 01:11PM

I didn't see an HS 981 on the site , I did find the HS 821-1 which has the length and lure range that suits me . 3/4 - 4 ounce .

On the heavy side but will work better than what I currently have.

Date: July 17, 2023 02:46PM

My mistake, the rod has been around for decades, one of Gary's first, or very close to it, rod designed for pulling plugs for a drift boat. It is 98 inches long and the way it was originally listed as a rod. Built as a casting rod for hotshot and other plugs for salmon/steehead, and in the Greenwater salt series as a spinning and casting rod with different grips. Many in this series salt rods were used for other things in freshwater first.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2023 02:49PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: July 17, 2023 07:35PM

Thanks Spencer . Spencer's the one guy that everybody relies on for information when it comes to rod blank history . His knowledge about this stuff is sublime .

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: July 18, 2023 05:14PM

Chris, on hotshot rods the lure weights are usually trolling, not casting, weights. I have the HS 885-2 and I'd say it's the one you want to try if you want a bit more power than the 7109.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 18, 2023 07:26PM

Thanks Russ , appreciate it.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (185.215.181.---)
Date: July 18, 2023 07:55PM

While we are on the topic of HS blanks, I noticed on the CCS database spreadsheet that the SJ762 and HS7600 are about the same power. I found that surprising. Maybe should not have been, but I have a lot to learn about blanks.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: July 18, 2023 09:00PM

Dean, HS blanks are just a different animal altogether. They have a very limber tip so they will cast ultra light lures/baits. Then when the fish is hooked the 6-12" of the tip flattens out and it is like you are fighting the fish with a shorter rod of an entirely different power rating.

We are talking blanks that are fun to fish for bluegill yet have been reported catching 60# serious salt water fish.

I sum them up as saying, " if you want a blank to cast the lightest offering, the longest distance, yet land the biggest fish, you want a hot shot blank". Tom K turned me on to them years ago and I am very grateful as one would never see them in a store in my area. They are something I recommend everyone try, especially in the lower (st )power offerings.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 18, 2023 09:33PM

I don't find it particularly surprising in that so many people get hung up on labels instead of finding out what their blanks will do, Being in the Coast Guard 20+ years was a godsend in many ways, it got me going to so many places with the rods I had built for other things and putting me in a situation where I could find out what worked and didn't work from what I had, then build from there those needs. The HS7600 blank would work in so many ways, on so many species. I even know a fellow who built a spin/fly rod out of one and loved it.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2023 09:37PM

That seems like a really good description. I am still figuring out the best niche for the HS7600 HM rod, but I really like how it casts so far. I think it will get a lot of use. I bought a Steez 76mml rod to compare spinning rods to, since that rod is often recommended as one of the best all round spinning rods out there (hence why it is named "The One"). Side by side, I think I prefer my HS 7600 so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster