I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra light trout blanks
Posted by: Joe schmitt (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2023 10:07AM

I’m looking for a blank to build a rod specifically for throwing jigs for trout , I’d like to stay under 6’-6” because of brush considerations in the streams I fish . Jigs will range from 1/32-1/8. I’ve been researching some but without hands on knowledge it’s just a guess . Thanks !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra light trout blanks
Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2023 11:27AM

Big fan of the RodGeeks C2 blanks for trout fishing. They have a 5’6” ultralight and a 6’ light that would be great. I’ve built two C266ML rods for trout fishing (spinners and salted minnows) and they’re perfect for what we do.

Another option would be an NFC FW601. I prefer Loomis actions for trout honestly. I picked up an IMX last summer at a tackle shop and fell in love with it. It’s the first factory rod that I have been impressed with in quite some time.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 15, 2023 11:49AM

We have used various lengths and powers of fly rod blanks over the years,
they make great UL & Light spin rods.
Especially if you like the more moderate action that bends pretty far down into the blank.
That really helps with "shock absorption" on a big fish,
and makes tossing light lures a little easier
In your case, the 6&1/2 foot model might work well for you.
They are available in 2 or 4 pc.

Here are some links;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2023 12:11PM

A while back I bought a 6’ UL OEM blank from Mudhole to try on a whim. Made it up for a friend and he loved it, and had me make 6 more for his friends They all loved them. Over the past 6 months I’ve made over a dozen more of them. Try one they are quite inexpensive but a lot of fun to fish. They are very light, will easily throw very light jigs and lures and are surprising sensitive. Mudhole has them as a clearance rod and state that once they’re gone they are gone. This is not true, they have routinely renewed their stock over the past few years. They come in both white and black.

[mudhole.com]

Norm

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: July 15, 2023 01:57PM

Joe

I have been fishing for trout with jigs for the last 25 years. I use primarily 1/32 oz and occasionally 1/16 oz jigs on 4 lbs.Berkely nanofil line. My go to rod is made on a 6 foot North Fork Composites blank (FW 601-1 IM) and I love it. I also like the North Fork Composites Delta 602 and Phenix Elixer 601.

Posted by: Joe schmitt (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2023 07:49PM

Thanks Jim , are you the Jim Reinhardt from Minnesota?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 15, 2023 07:50PM

REVS62 ultra light is what I use for this. I have the 2 pc. version.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2023 07:09AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A while back I bought a 6’ UL OEM blank from
> Mudhole to try on a whim. Made it up for a friend
> and he loved it, and had me make 6 more for his
> friends They all loved them. Over the past 6
> months I’ve made over a dozen more of them. Try
> one they are quite inexpensive but a lot of fun to
> fish. They are very light, will easily throw very
> light jigs and lures and are surprising sensitive.
> Mudhole has them as a clearance rod and state that
> once they’re gone they are gone. This is not
> true, they have routinely renewed their stock over
> the past few years. They come in both white and
> black.
>
> [mudhole.com]
> e/products/60-ultralight-power-oem-graphite-blank-
> sc72ul-w
>
> Norm

Norm - what guide train were you using for your builds on these OEM UL blanks? I ordered one to play around with. Will be using it mostly for panfishing using probably a size 1000 spinning reel with probably 4# mono. Was looking at the Seaguide SS framed guides with SS inserts in a match style to mimic KR concept but keep the costs down. Just curious what you have used?

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: July 17, 2023 08:48AM

Joe

I am from Rushford Minnesota and do all my fishing within about 25 miles of Rushford.

Jim

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2023 09:46AM

Kevin - As you suggested, for UL rods I like the SesGuide HLG SS match style guides with MKG runners. Very light guides and work great.
Norm

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 03, 2023 12:29PM

Joe,

Check out the American Tackle Bushido model SP68/4-8 At 6' 8", it is very close to your spec, and handles lures in the 1/32 - 5/16 oz. range. Rated for 4lb to 8lb test line, and with a Fast action, it would be perfect for pitching small jigs to Trout. It is a 1-piece blank, so if you are committed to the 6' 6" max length, you can trim 2 " off the butt without significantly affection the rod's capabilities or characteristics. The more you trim off however, the more you affect the rod's characteristics, making the action slower and the backbone a little less powerful. I would not trim more than 2" off the end.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: August 07, 2023 12:10PM

The MHX Spinning Series of blanks are great options for Ultralight Trout. There's 6 different ultralight models under 6'6"!
Here's a link [mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster