I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thread Question
Posted by: Philip Elrod (---.167.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 12, 2023 07:39PM

What color gray thread matches an unfinished gray rod blank best? I want the thread to be as invisible as possible....

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Question
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2023 08:14PM

When you state unfinished grey blank, like a Northfork? Natural Carbon?

Your best bet, Natural Silk. I would buy a couple of colors close to that and do some test wraps with finish, just do them where your grip/reel seat are going, find the one that meets your fancy.

I’ve done invisible wraps on colored fiberglass, Natural Silk was the ticket. On raw or “clear” fiberglass, this gets a bit tricky since there are several shade’s, from almost white to a dirty martini look. The more “white” a blank is, White Silk worked best, as the white color gets dirtier looking, Natural Silk.

I’d also give the lightest shade of Grey Nylon and Grey Silk a shot.

Test wraps!

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: July 12, 2023 08:16PM

I think invisible as possible means silk. Look through the photo section to see if this what you want.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: July 12, 2023 08:22PM

Fuji Ultra Poly No. 19 complements a gray, natural color graphite blank quite nicely. It does not match the blank's color, but provides a nice shade to offset the blank. I have used it on an NFC LMX fly rod and an Epic 690G fly rod.

If you want transparent, as in it looks like there is no wrapping unless you do an accent wrap, then you need to use silk. The full color and shape of the guide foot will be on complete display, so you may want to go with a Ti-Gray color guide or Recoil.

Date: July 12, 2023 09:02PM

Yes, A North Fork Composites unfinished blank is what I am building on...Thank you so much! What brand of thread would you use if it was silk...please mention brand and color number...or regular thread size A, brand and color number...

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2023 05:35AM

Do test wraps with these 3:

YLI #239 Natural

YLI #212 Natural White

Clover 401 White.

50wt is close to size A Nylon, 100wt is a bit smaller.

Thread tension is also very important, you want the tension as light as possible.

Also, in my opinion, Clover brand Silk is better quality than YLI.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 13, 2023 12:56PM

RE: "The full color and shape of the guide foot will be on complete display, so you may want to go with a Ti-Gray color guide or Recoil."

This means that any guide foot prep you do will be visible, too. With my process of never grinding, this would not be a problem, but many builders do a lot of prep which would be unsightly depending on the process/guide color/etc.

Posted by: Gerald Klauss (149.168.188.---)
Date: July 13, 2023 01:54PM

I think you and I may be of like minds. I’m working on an NFC blank myself and want my thread wraps to more or less blend in. I’ve experimented with a few different grey thread shades and brands. Mind you, I only made some test wraps and applied a drop of alcohol. From what I saw, Fuji Ultra Poly, BC Grey #023 looked the best. I plan to apply finish this evening and I would be glad to send you a photo of the result if you wish. I would of course simply post the photo to the photos page, but although I can log into it, I’m still listed as unregistered and cannot upload.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: July 13, 2023 05:24PM

There are two options mentioned above. 1) using gray thread to match the blank. 2) Using silk thread that disappears with epoxy applied thus giving the appearance of no thread at all. The later is often called a ghost wrap.

Date: July 13, 2023 08:55PM

Fuji 023 seems to be a great choice! Yes, Please send pictures...that would be great...Thank you!

Date: July 13, 2023 08:56PM

Thank you all for your responses!

Posted by: Gerald Klauss (---.Skyrunner.net)
Date: July 15, 2023 01:35PM

Philip. I have a photo. Your email is hidden so I have no way to share. Drop me an email and I'll send it to you.

Date: July 15, 2023 11:32PM

Thank you…it is [email protected]…I really appreciate this…

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 16, 2023 12:58AM

Invisible as in silk will show the whole guide foot. If what you want is matching , I use gunmetal nylon which darkens just enough to match a raw blank

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: July 16, 2023 09:12AM

ProWrap Nylon “Storm Cloud” blends pretty good, a tad darker but very close.

Date: July 19, 2023 10:51PM

Thank you for your input! I will look into these threads…

Date: July 19, 2023 10:52PM

Can you send me a link to gunmetal nylon? Thank you!

Date: July 19, 2023 11:00PM

Is it Gudebrod Nylon Rod Wrapping Thread-#1011 Gunmetal?

Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: July 27, 2023 01:46PM

Hitena silk number 1 choice, just can’t find it.

A light grey, I prefer Kimono silk or YLI silk. Then I use Crystal coat from CTS for finish epoxy. To me it is the clearest epoxy, but long cure time.

Date: July 27, 2023 10:06PM

Thank you so much!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster