I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Deep Crankbait Blank
Posted by: Jacob Clark (198.153.107.---)
Date: July 09, 2023 03:42PM

Looking for advice on some good deep crankbait blanks that you all have built on. I am currently leaning towards a Rodgeeks fiberglass series 7'9" H. I have the 7ft MH Rodgeeks fiberglass rod that I use for squarebills and I absolutely love it. The sensitivity rivals that of many graphite rods I've used in the past.

I've also heard the American Tackle Bushido crankbait blanks are really good too.

Any others that I should consider?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deep Crankbait Blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 09, 2023 05:25PM

I've been happy with my Rainshadow REVCB80H-SB rods for deep cranking among other things.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 10, 2023 01:28PM

My current favorite I throw on is a MB765 NEO. I can really sling them in combination with my Shimano DC reels. Good strong blank for setting and a deep bend for pinning the fish.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 10, 2023 06:01PM

Haven't built on one, but the Rainshadow Judge crankbait blanks are supposed to awesome blanks. May be something to take a look at.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: July 10, 2023 11:13PM

While I use moderate graphite rods for most crankbaits, I prefer moderate-fast blanks for the big, really deep divers. I find these rods cast the heavy baits and handle their resistance better. My go to is the Point Blank PB761HM. The Duo Realis Crank G87-20A is normally what I fish with it. Maybe “deep” needs to be defined a little better here. The term seems to be used differently for rods verses crankbaits.

Date: July 12, 2023 11:21PM

“Deep” is a very subjective crankbait term. I’ve seen it describe 3/8 oz Bagley balsa models that dive to 8 feet and 1.5 ounce crankbaits that dive beyond 20ft. Along with the Point Blank model I described above the St. Croix/Rod Geeks SCV72MM is an amazing blank for the 5/8oz and light “deep” crankbaits. It’s probably my favorite rod I’ve ever built. I’m throwing an OSP Blitz Max DR on it about 75% of the time. That’s the crankbait model I would last give up. They are up there in price so have a lure retriever. Leaving one in the rocks hurts.

Posted by: Jason Haney (128.118.233.---)
Date: July 13, 2023 08:55AM

Another vote for the Northfork Composites MB765 NEO. I've thrown Strike King's 8.0 squarebill and their 8XD on it with 14lb fluoro. I really haven't messed with the 10XD but I think it'd handle it. If you dropped to 12lb, it'd probably be at the higher end of power for a 6XD, a Little John DD, or Fat Free Shad, but it'd work. I'm sure it'll launch them a mile. It's probably overkill for 5XD or a DT-10, but if you're throwing oversized cranks, give it a shot. I've also used it to throw 5"-6" line-thru swimbaits with 17lb fluoro. The front third loads really nicely then it's, got some real backbone.

Posted by: Jacob Clark (---)
Date: July 13, 2023 12:45PM

Thanks for the suggestions all! To clarify, I'll be throwing dd22s, 5xds, and 6xds

Date: July 13, 2023 09:26PM

In the 5/8 to 1oz. crankbait spectrum I’d build the RodGeeks/St. Croix C578MHM. I have yet to since I decided to go up to 1.25 ounce crankbaits, but its high on my list of future builds. This is based on how much I like it’s 7’2” little brother.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (172.58.60.---)
Date: July 14, 2023 12:55PM

As Spencer suggested the heavy Revalatiin Crankbait in either 7’6” or 8’0” are exactly what your after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2023 06:57PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: July 14, 2023 02:52PM

MHX offer 20 "Crank Biat" Blanks - depending on your price point, weight and length:
[mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: July 15, 2023 10:45AM

Thanks for all of the input. I ended up ordering the Rodgeeks Fiberglass 7ft 9in H that I initially had my eye on. The deciding factor was my experience with the 7ft MH model. As i stated in the original post, I'm blown away at the sensitivity of it and how well it keeps fish hooked up. I have a Dobyns Champion CB765 that is nowhere near as sensitive as my Rodgeeks fiberglass 7ft MH.

I'll report back on how it fishes once I get it built! If I don't like it then it's a good excuse to try another blank ????

Posted by: Wallace coulter (---)
Date: July 15, 2023 02:14PM

Maybe it’s just me. I must zig when everyone else zags but, I run an nfc swb 805
Medium heavy power mod action. 8 ft.
I’m throwing 12-25 ft deep divers from 3/4 of an ounce to 2-1/2 ounce. Everything from a rapala dd20 to a luckycraft mag 120
I have no problem turning a 6+ largemouths head in a fight .I built it specifically for the mag size offerings because no one at the time offered a built rod for throwing them.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: July 15, 2023 06:36PM

Wallace, that blank makes a dandy A rig rod as well!!

Posted by: Wallace coulter (---)
Date: July 16, 2023 05:34AM

When the shad bite heats up I’ll try it. Thanks.

Date: August 24, 2023 11:41AM

Got to try out the Rod Geeks 7ft 9in H Fiberglass build last week. I love how it loads with a Deep N, Spro Little John DD, and 5xd cranks. Sensitivity wise, it is more than adequate (not as good as my 7ft MH squarebill rod though). You can feel the wobble very well on the wider wobble baits but the tighter wobble baits are a little tougher to feel. You can tell the difference of bottom composition going from mud to rock. I've lost a couple of dinks halfway to the boat but otherwise I haven't been able to test it on how well it handles fighting fish.

Overall I'm pleased with the build but I think I will certainly try a graphite/composite blank for my next deep crank build.

Posted by: Patrick Noll (216.221.27.---)
Date: August 24, 2023 12:25PM

MHX CB 907 is a great blank for deep cranks, also use for chatterbaits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster