I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Emergency adhesive for extending a NFC 8.5’ musky blank
Posted by: Eric Morrissey (172.56.192.---)
Date: July 08, 2023 06:06AM

I need to extend a NFC MUH868 IM-LMX (8.5’ musky blank rated 3-8oz) out to 10’, and am in a very rustic setting with very limited choices of adhesives.

I think all I have to choose from are liquid nails or marine epoxy, or some combination of Typar, duct or electtrical tape.

I read the library article and did a search in the forum, and all the info was very helpful. I figure to do both an over sleeve and an inner sleeve to reduce stress on the joint, with an overlap length of 6x the diameter of the blank to the extended. And unfortunately, I have lots of broken rod pieces to use for the extension.

Would the non-flexible adhesives I have to choose from be OK to use? And could I get away with tightly taping the extension in place until this trip is done? I think I would prefer taping it all together for the next 2 weeks. Thanks for any help that can be offered. Trying to save a trip here, and have never extended a blank before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Emergency adhesive for extending a NFC 8.5’ musky blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2023 11:44AM

Adding both an inner and outer sleeve can result in a stress point that can itself cause failure at the joint. You're going to need some continuation of properties across the joint so just don't overdo things there.

I doubt taping is going to hold up, at least not for long. The Marine Tex is a paste epoxy and generally is too thick - it will change the fit at the sleeve-joint and you end up with something that is ill-fitting or has little to no adhesive between the mating parts. If you do get enough in there to bond, it won't be a temporary thing.

Liquid Nails is an interesting product. I've used it for various household chores but never on a fishing rod. But, it might get you by in a pinch. Whether or not it's going to be temporary or permanent in your particular case I cannot say, but of all the products you mentioned, I'd try it.

Posted by: Eric Morrissey (---)
Date: July 08, 2023 12:33PM

Thanks, Tom. I will try the liquid nails, and will just limit myself to the inner sleeve that I have already prepared.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: July 08, 2023 11:03PM

Wow, fishing in a remote spot can really test gear. About thirty years ago I was in a remote part of the Kodiak Archipelago and five rods gave way to one fly rod and one baitcaster with ten days left. Let us know how it all went when you are out, Eric.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (206.168.49.---)
Date: July 12, 2023 10:21AM

I have done multiple extended musky rods. I hesitate to use anything other than good epoxy. I have seen them start to flex and move a bit. I personally only use Rod Bond on those applications. Sometimes better to wait and do it right once - learned that the hard way one too many times.

If I was stuck, I would personally fish a rock solid 8'6" rod before a 10' one that may have issues. But I'm also not a great benchmark, as I'd rather fish an 8'6" either way, just to be fair.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: July 12, 2023 11:40AM

Honestly I'd suggest not doing anything until you can do it properly. What baits are you throwing that you can't target with the 8'6"? That NFC blank looks to be a good all arounder general use musky stick - unless you need to throw light/medium sized baits a loooong way for ultra conditioned fish?

Date: July 12, 2023 06:43PM

Thanks all. I actually found some gorilla epoxy, which seemed better than liquid nails. I would have preferred rod bond for sure!

I extended it out to about 10’ 6” - the application is surfcasting in extreme rocky conditions so the added length is beneficial both for distance and then to help me elevate the line up in the air when a hooked fish slunkers down behind a rock and won’t move. Its a pretty unforgiving environment.

Throwing very large plugs up to 6oz. I thought about keeping it at 8’6” but then just went for it - I wrapped the guides with CA over electrical tape to make cleanup easier when I get back. So far its a wonderful frankenstein creation - just awesome for the application. If it fails you all will be first to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2023 06:09PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: July 12, 2023 06:51PM

Clarification: I did the wraps with size A thread I always bring for emergency repairs. Wraps are over electrical tape, and coated with CA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster