I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Round files
Posted by: Philip Elrod (---.167.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 03, 2023 11:29PM

I'm having a really hard time finding round files for reaming cork...I looked all over Amazon, Home Depot and Walmart...they just don't have them...any suggestions? I'm going to need one that is about 1/2 inch at the widest point...

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Round files
Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: July 04, 2023 12:07AM

[www.amazon.com]
Search for "round wood rasp."

Guy

Date: July 04, 2023 12:34AM

Thank you!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2023 08:38AM

I would take a hard look at the Flex Coat reverse pilot bits. Makes the job a few seconds task and the bore stays concentric.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (107.1.212.---)
Date: July 05, 2023 08:34AM

Reverse bits from Flex Coat or the Forecast / Batson dream reamer set. Mudhole has a file set also.

[voodoorods.com]

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: July 05, 2023 11:48AM

Plus 1 (or is it up to 2 now) on reverse pilot bits.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 05, 2023 11:59AM

Phillip,
I agree with you 100% on the use of round files to use when creating grips.
Here are the files and the prep work completed on the files to make them useful to me as I do the work:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have an abrasive disk cut off wheel that I use when making changes to the files.
I first cut off any end on the file that is triangular shaped that is commonly used with these files for a handle.

I use all of the files in a variable speed drill to do the work for me.

I use a lathe, and a grinding wheel to first create the round end for the file to fit nicely into a drill with zero wobble run out or wobble.
Then, when that work is done, I use a grinder and belt sander to sharpen the ends of each of the files.
This allows me to start larger sized files into grips that don't actually have that sized initial hole.

The major reason that I prefer using a file, rather than any sort of drill bit, is that any drill bit that I have ever used when working with cork, is that the cork tends to be ripped out in chunks, leaving voids on the interior of the grip.
However, files, because they "file away" material, there is never any chunking going on in the interior of the ring or cork grip.

To accumulate the files, I have always been on the alert when being anywhere and have gradually found all of the different sizes that I need.

----------------------------
Another thing that works very well for various aspects of rod building are conventional manual and drill driven 4-10 inch long significantly tapered reamers.

For example:

[www.google.com]

Date: July 05, 2023 02:49PM

Thank you so much for the replies...Can any of you please send me a link for a round file that tapers to about a half inch? I can't find any clear descriptions on round files. I went to ace hardware and they just don't have one with a big enough diameter. Are the dream reamers really 100$? Will those reverse bits rip off the top of the cork grip if it is thin?

I haven't built rods in a long time...EVERYTHING is incredibly expensive!

Thank you for your help...

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: July 05, 2023 04:09PM

Date: July 05, 2023 04:18PM

Thank you so much!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 06, 2023 03:17PM

Or:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[]

[]

[]

Date: July 06, 2023 09:11PM

Thank you so much! Planning to start reaming the grips in the morning...

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2023 11:14PM

If you are planning on building rods get a dream reamer set or a similar set, or make your own. Reamers are essential tools for rod building. I’ve never found a set of round rat tail files with the same diameter or lengths as the reamer sets designed specifically for rod building. I started out with rat tail files but they didn’t cover the all sizes I required. Do your self a favor and buy a set of reamers, they are worth every penny you spend and will last for years.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2023 04:01PM

I have done exactly what Norman has done and hardly ever (like never) use files to ream. You can buy the tape and make your own from old or broken rods. A steel shank can be glued into the end to attach to a drill. I have a one that is 5' and starts at 3/8" and ends at 3/4".

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: July 10, 2023 03:10AM

I'm a huge fan of the dream reamer.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 10, 2023 08:39AM

In my first go-round building rods, I had acquired a Dream Reamer set - loved them. I gave up the craft for several years and sold my equipment awhile back. Now that I'm back into it, I bought the CRB reamer set. Let's just say that I will be picking up the Dream Reamer set again ASAP. The CRB set is going into the trash. I've also gone the rat tail file route in the past, but the tapers and diameters are not ideal for matching to a rod blank.

Date: July 19, 2023 11:08PM

Thank you for your input!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster