I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blanks
Posted by: Darrin wright (---)
Date: July 03, 2023 08:13PM

So I know of the normal places for rod blanks.. but I have a guide customer that is wanting me to build a series of rods for him.. where else could I find blanks.. would be a 11’ or 13’ and preferably painted already(crappie)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blanks
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 03, 2023 08:15PM

Darrin wright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I know of the normal places for rod blanks..
> but I have a guide customer that is wanting me to
> build a series of rods for him.. where else could
> I find blanks.. would be a 11’ or 13’ and
> preferably painted already(crappie)

So what are the NORMAL places you know?

Date: July 03, 2023 08:30PM

Mud hole get it

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2023 08:53PM

Finding long rod blanks suitable for making crappie jig poles is difficult, none of the sponsors here sell such blanks. I have used inexpensive 11’ 4 piece switch and Spey rods I’ve found doing searches on the internet.

They worked quite well as jig poles
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2023 10:38PM by Norman Miller.

Date: July 03, 2023 09:38PM

Darrin wright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mud hole get it

There are numerous places to buy blanks at, but until I know the ones you know then it seems like a moving target.

Date: July 03, 2023 11:10PM

Mud hole and get bit are the only ones I know of

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 04, 2023 08:53AM

Here is an NFC blank under their Center pin category that they actually have labeled as a good option for a Crappie Live Scope jigging blank. [northforkcomposites.com]
The finish on that blank may make packing threads a bit more challenging but it is one I have been thinking about trying out. I have not yet built a dedicated crappie rod in that 10' to 13' category but it is something on my to do list at some point and I have been looking around at some options. NFC has several others in the centerpin or fly lineup that would likely also meet your needs but not going to be labeled as crappie blanks.

There is another thread going right now that talks about the wide range of techniques that crappie fisherman get into. The more you can find out what your customer wants the better. Some guys use those long rods 16' + and troll with them with fairly heavy weights (sometimes upto a couple ounces depending on their troll speed and wind/waves). Sometimes they slow troll with the rods fanned out in front of the boat (spider rigging) and other times they will have say a 16, 14, and 12' on either side of boat pulling either jig rigs or small crank baits behind at 1-2 mph. If being used primarily for trolling then the rod will spend most of its time in a rod holder. And you also have the guys who like longer jigging rods that they hold the majority of the time. Some guys prefer spinning reels and others prefer low profile bait casters. lots of options....

Anyhow, I've done a good bit of that type of fishing and definitely not a whole lot of rod blanks out on market specifically labeled for this type of crappie fishing purpose.

Here are a couple of the bigger factory crappie rod producers: [www.bnmpoles.com] or [acccrappiestix.com]
Very hard to build rods at the price points these rods are listing at... I've tried several of them and they are not bad rods for the $

Date: July 04, 2023 04:23PM

I have only Crappie fished once in my life and that was as a little kid in the 1940's. An acquaintance of my Dad had a large piece of acreage with a big pond on it loaded with Crappie. He and Dad went out and caught a bunch of live minnows somewhere and we fished for the Crappie using a fly rod with mono and trolled very slow by oars with the minnow below a bobber and watching for the bobber to sink. Caught a bunch of BIG beautiful Crappie.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: July 06, 2023 10:33AM

Depending on the number of rods your customer is looking for, you might consider developing a custom blank model with Batson. We do quite a bit of private label work for builders filling application niches like yours. You can get more info and submit an inquiry at BatsonEnterprises.com. Direct link provided below.

[batsonenterprises.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: July 08, 2023 08:17PM

I too used a 9' flyrod with a spinning reel and monofilament sewing thread, which was, I think, about 1 lb test.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster