I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

questions about ned rig rod
Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: July 02, 2023 10:54AM

Hi,
After reading: [www.tackletour.com] , I have some questions. Mark Talmo and everybody, have you had any experience with [mudhole.com] carbon fiber Tennessee handles? How do they compare with cork? Ben Belote and everybody do they make an eva Tennessee handle?
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2023 01:08PM by Gary Weber.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: questions about ned rig rod
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 02, 2023 12:12PM

The Tennessee handle can be very versatile. One can use a variety of reels and locate them any where on the handle to get a comfortable grip. Tennessee handles lend themselves well to ultra light and light rods.

I built a ultra light Tennessee handle rod and used it for many years for trout and pan fish in Pa. and have had no regrets.

I am not a fan of having a rod for specific lures. My rods are inline with the size of the fish indigenous to my home grounds.

I use 3 rods, one is used when walking the bank (light action) and the other two (light and medium light action) used when on the water.

The rods have a carbon fiber fore grips with a cork rear grips.

Using these three rods I have tossed just about every kind of lure out there even lures I made from discarded plastic razors and have been very successful.

You will just have to try it, if it don't work out you can give it to a youngster and he will be thrilled with it.

Have fun

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 02, 2023 01:11PM

Hello Gary.

Here are some articles on Tennessee handles.

Volume/Issue.............Article...................................Author..................Page.
17/2 Handles: Tennessee Handles, Improved. By Tom Kirkman. 18
10/1 Handles: Tennessee Handle Made Better. 22
15/6 Handles: The Simplest Rod Handle And perhaps… still the most practical! 16
9/4 Handles: The SSG-TN, Spinning Handle. By Rich Forhan. 22

Hope this is helpful.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 02, 2023 01:51PM

I built a lot of cork grips just like that in the 90's on mostly Lamiglas XC & XS78 ML or the 72 inch versions and the IM700 equivalents, I built very few carbon tube varieties, since the arbor/end caps were either cork or EVA I didn't think I was gaining anything, but they would clean up nicely.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: July 02, 2023 05:52PM

A carbon fiber handle is more sensitive than cork or eva and will hold up better.
If the rod is for yourself, and you determine where you want the reel. You could cut like a three inch section of carbon for your "reel seat" and use cork for the rest.
Once its taped up..you would never know the carbon was there.
The cork Tennessee handle will initially be a great selection, but over time the reel foot will somewhat dig into the cork.
If you change reels a few times, the process of removing the tape takes its toll on the cork too.
EVA would be a poor choice for a TN handle.

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: October 01, 2023 06:49PM

Chris,
I liked the idea of using a section of carbon fiber. So, I redid an old Clemens blank I had. I used cork from the existing handle and put some carbon fiber on the ends of the cork. I think it will hold up well. Now I need to fish it!
Thanks
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 02, 2023 12:53AM

I like it Gary...I have one just like that myself I use for a Ned Rod.
Others I have (TN handle), have a small amount of cork for a foregrip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster