I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave guide train equivalent
Posted by: Jon Hood (---)
Date: July 02, 2023 10:31AM

I have built quite a few inshore rods using the Microwave guide system with micro guides. I really like the line management of this system.
7 ft 10-18 lb blanks.
I would like to build the same blank with Fuji guides that would come as close as possible to the line management.
Have any of you found the closest Fuji guide train for this?
Recommendations please.

Jon Hood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2023 10:31AM by Jon Hood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guide train equivalent
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2023 12:28PM

Because the key to the MicroWave system is the butt guide, which features two rings stacked in such close proximity, I doubt you can mimic it with any butt guide from any other manufacturer. The issue, even if you wanted to stack two guides, a large ring immediately followed by a much smaller ring, is that the height of the frame on the much smaller ring isn't going to center with the larger guide ring.

Date: July 02, 2023 02:19PM

So Tom, I guess in your opinion - there is no equivalent to the microwave guide system at this time?

Jon Hood

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2023 02:27PM

Nothing equivalent but the KR concept is comparable.
Norm

Date: July 02, 2023 03:23PM

How close do you think Norm?

Jon Hood

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 02, 2023 03:38PM

Jon,
While there are many rod builders and anglers (such as yourself) who like the MicroWave guide system, there may be even more (such as me) who prefer the Fuji KR Concept (KL-H, KB, KT) or other manufacturers’ “match” guides consisting of smaller rings atop taller frames. Both systems work very well, especially compared to the old COF, and the on-going debate of which one is better will probably never be concluded. Consider building a KR Concept rod, if for nothing else, to experience any difference for yourself rather than relying on opinions and loyalty of others. I am basically a KRC supporter but built a MW rod just for that reason. Although the rod fishes well, I don’t particularly care for the MW runners and since one cannot purchase the reduction guides separately, I stick with KRC.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.60.---)
Date: July 02, 2023 05:11PM

Good points by Mark, I agree.

I recently used my Microwave rod and was not impressed compared to my usual KR rods. No , I have no data, but it just seemed noisier, no longer on the cast, maybe not as far, and the recovery speed with an Immortal blank seemed a little slow. Yes, we find ways to like our favorites, and ways to dislike our not-so-favorites, but I don't think there is anything special about Microwave. The runners, which are most influential in recovery speed are heavier than the KT's used in the KR concept. If you really want to see the difference do True Natural Frequency and test casting with both systems and come to your own conclusions.

Aside from recovery speed, the biggest influence on casting performance is the line. Get a premium 8+ carrier braid and it will work well with any guide system.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2023 06:16PM

Jon Hood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So Tom, I guess in your opinion - there is no
> equivalent to the microwave guide system at this
> time?

I think there are guide systems that work just as well, but they will not look the same. The MicroWave is just easy.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2023 06:19PM

The micro wave system works very well, I just prefer the KR concept for a number of reasons. However, it all boils down to a matter of personal preference. You just need to try both in order to decide which one you like better.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster