I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thicken marbling epoxy
Posted by: kyle holz (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2023 08:37PM

What can be added to the marbling epoxy to thicken it quickly?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thicken marbling epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 30, 2023 08:43PM

Nothing artificial that won't change or harm its overall properties.

Simply allow it to progress to whatever state of set you require to do what you want to do. A warmer environment will speed the process if this is what you want.

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: June 30, 2023 09:03PM

Doesn't Voo Doos Marbeling Mud do that?
I've also heard of adding Flex Coat color preserver to the epoxy but I dont know if the brand of epoxy matters.

Guy

Date: July 01, 2023 10:14AM

Guy,

Putting water (color preserver is mostly water) into epoxy isn't a good idea. Sounds like something you'd find on Youtube.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: July 01, 2023 01:19PM

Warming it will thicken it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2023 04:10PM

Never heard of marbling mud so looked it up. It appears that Guy is correct and this is the stuff you might want to use.
[voodoorods.com]
Norm

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: July 01, 2023 08:44PM

I have always just used FlexCoats Rod Building Epoxy...it has a faster setup time and is more viscous than regular finish alone.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 02, 2023 06:35PM

Kyle -
Simply put, you need to use Fused Silica:

A definition:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Here are many many different variations of the same product -- Fumed_silica.

Pick and choose.

[www.amazon.com]

Or go to Voodoo Rods and buy their Marbling Mud.

However, it is the same thing sold by others in larger quantities.

Best wishes.

Date: July 02, 2023 08:04PM

Most anything you add to epoxy will change it's overall characteristics. Given this is for marbling only, it may no matter by much.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: July 03, 2023 08:00AM

This may help:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kyle holz (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2023 08:20AM

Thanks for all the input. I experimented with color preserver and it did not work. I used acrylic paint and the epoxy set up nicely. ( I waited about 10 minutes before I added the paint) Used heavy build epoxy also.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.60.---)
Date: July 03, 2023 01:56PM

With product specifically designed to do a specific job available I just don't know why builders utilize products that are not proven for the desired function.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 03, 2023 04:09PM

------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2023 04:17PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: July 04, 2023 02:55PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With product specifically designed to do a
> specific job available I just don't know why
> builders utilize products that are not proven for
> the desired function.

This has always amazed me. Seldom is the savings more than a couple of bucks, too. Rod adhesives, epoxies, paints, and finishes need to be flexible, not melt components, endure temperature changes, but yet be able to be released if repairs are needed. The industry specific products have undergone a lot of development and testing to assure these properties.

Casey at VooDoo has gone to the trouble of sourcing a full range of pigments that work great with rod finishes and have never been polluted with solvents. His miracle mud might be available as a bulk product somewhere else. However, he’s sourced it, packaged it appropriately, and tested it thoroughly. He provides very good video instructions on its mixing and application. He sells it for $3.50 and $8.00. He has certainly added that much value. He also sells a bunch of supplies and components with discounts for repeat customers. VooDoo has saved my builds at least twice by having components when every other online vendor was out of stock. His shipping is insanely fast. If he sells something I need, I’m not going to hope to find a suitable equivalent from a non-rod building source. I’m buying it from him for peace of mind and keeping him in business for the next time I need components and supplies. Insert your favorite rod vendor into my example and stop trying stuff like Gorilla glue.

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: July 05, 2023 04:02AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With product specifically designed to do a
> specific job available I just don't know why
> builders utilize products that are not proven for
> the desired function.

On the other hand...
Innovation can come from looking at something and thinking, "I wonder if..."
I'm not saying don't use the VooDoo Mud. They had an idea, tried it, perfected it, and now have it available to us for a very reasonable price. I'm saying keep an open mind when you see something new on a shelf. If it grows ideas in your mind try things out and see what happens. You may end up developing something truly unique that will set your work apart from others, for awhile.

Guy Taylor
Lucerne Valley, CA

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.60.---)
Date: July 05, 2023 05:46PM

Guy, I agree with you. Incorporating new ideas, products, etc, is definitely in order. And can be valuable and productive. My comment was more about the situation where there is a specific, defined, function to be met and there are proven products available. In that case, IMHO, going with unproven products just doesn't make sense. Like using Gorilla glue for wrap finish, sewing thread for wraps, or other products for CP when there are numerous CP's that are proven to work. Going outside the box in this situation might yield good results, but in most cases, the product designed and tested for the function makes the most sense. Kendall said it well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster