I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide train for passing bobber stops and fg knot through guides
Posted by: Dominic Meads (---.mobile.uscc.com)
Date: June 30, 2023 10:34AM

Building my first steelhead float rod and wondering what the best guide train would be for a spiral rod using 30lb power pro braid, with an FG knot to 17lb flourocarbon. I will be having bobber stops up the line (braid) and if needed into the guides. I use both th rubber stops and thread stops, both are semi clunky through the guides.

Wondering what sizes would be best, and what kinds?

I like the hybrid trains with fuji SiC to recoils on bass rods, but not sure if the bobber stop would catch on the thin titanium wire recoils are made of.

Any price range is fine, even torzite :)

Also I was thinking 5.5 size for belly guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide train for passing bobber stops and fg knot through guides
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 30, 2023 04:53PM

If you're fishing in sub freezing temps where there is a chance of the guides icing, I would think at least #6s for running guides. Probably the lightest size 6 that has a ceramic ring is going to be Torzite. They only come in titanium frames so that will help with weight, and a size 6 Torzite probably has close to the same ID as a #7 Alconite

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 30, 2023 05:09PM

Dominic,
Have you thought about running your steelhead tackle setup thru one of you bass rods? No need to guess. I've used 4 mm guides float fishing since the late 80's early 90's first with mono and stops and now braid to 20 lb. with no problems, but I fish the PNW not the midwest. That said was stationed in Cheboygan, MI. one winter and my G Loomis 1141S rod with match guides did just fine most days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2023 05:18PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Dominic Meads (---.mobile.uscc.com)
Date: June 30, 2023 05:44PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dominic,
> Have you thought about running your steelhead
> tackle setup thru one of you bass rods? No need to
> guess. I've used 4 mm guides float fishing since
> the late 80's early 90's first with mono and stops
> and now braid to 20 lb. with no problems, but I
> fish the PNW not the midwest. That said was
> stationed in Cheboygan, MI. one winter and my G
> Loomis 1141S rod with match guides did just fine
> most days.

Gotcha, I will test the bass rods. I think mine have size 6 running guides. I fish nor cal (wayy less ice) so I will try my buddies rod with size 4 guides and see how that goes :)

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 30, 2023 06:00PM

I pass nail knot bobber stops through 3mm ceramic guide’s regularly. The trick with small ID guides is trimming the tag ends very close to the knot. Of course colder weather steelhead fishing, I would opt for 5 or 6 mm ceramics. In norther Cali if subzero temps aren’t a it concern, 5 mm running guides will make a nice compromise.

Date: June 30, 2023 08:51PM

Where can I get some of these bobber stop knots you guys are using, or are you tying them yourselves? The reason I ask is I have 4.5 tip top and running guides on my pan fish rod and it won't pass the pre tied knots I buy, easily at all

Date: June 30, 2023 10:21PM

I tie my own on the line, not hard.

Date: July 01, 2023 06:24PM

Spencer? Are you using guide wrap thread to tie them with? And if so, what size thread? I've tied my own on little pieces of stir straws, but I'm using thin string. I've never used size D thread, but I have a feeling the string I use is probably bigger than D thread would be.

I'm really curious. I used to love using slip bobbers when fishing for walleye.

Date: July 02, 2023 10:41AM

I use an inexpensive roll of thread a guy gave me many years ago, never compared it D thread, since the knot is just a 3 or 4 pass inside the loop Uni knot I have not needed straws of anything to tie one. Takes only about 6 inches of so of line per knot so it's lasted forever. The beads have small holes so a bit of a pain the thread with braid, 4/10 Berkeley Fineline is easier here because it's fused together. Using a light powered blank I have seen little need to to go with a heavy line, 20 lb. Is the heaviest I use. I also used the thru hole floats for years and pegged them with a wood match or tree twig if necessary, no knots to mess with than.

Date: July 02, 2023 04:12PM

Spencer, thanks for the response. I've only ever used the pre tied ones, or I've used string that is about the equivalent of what you see on the pre tied ones. Definitely a lot larger than at least A size wrapping thread is. I've tried some of the smaller diameter rubber bobber stops, but they don't work any better than the knots I've tied.

I usually buy the slip bobbers that have the little cone on the top that prevents the knot from sliding inside the tube, so I don't use a bead on the line. Gonna have to hit up a craft store and check out some different size threads. And I just use the straws so I can have some pre tied ones stored in my little pan fish box. Lord knows I already carry way too much tackle in my boat as is, so my pan fish box only goes in the boat in the late fall.

Thanks again for the responses. Much appreciated.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 02, 2023 06:25PM

Dominic,
I make the simple rule that if I want to use bobber stops and knots on my line - I simply do no smaller than size 6 guides and I have never had an issue.

At the end of the day, the difference between #6 and #4 is not all that much, but the knot and heavy line passage with #6 guides is simply easier than it is with size #4 or smaller guides.

Your choice.

If you tie on # 3.5 or #4 and have issues, cut them off and go to #6 including the tip top and your troubles will be over.

Note:
If I need a rod that needs to pass ice as is sometimes the case for steel head fishing in the north, then I go no smaller than #8 for these special ice on the line rods.

Again, if you tie guides on a rod that are of a size that are giving you trouble for what ever reason - cut them off and tie on larger sized guides to eliminate the issue.

Best wishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2023 06:26PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2023 06:38PM

Similar to Spencer, I use a piece of thread which I tie to the line using a uni knot. The uni knot allows for the knot to side up or down the line so you can set the depth of your float. You want to use a thin enough piece of thread to create a small knot that easily passes through the guides, but not so thin that it passes through the hole in the bead or the hole the cone piece of the float. I keep a spool of size A nylon thread in the boat and the beads I use have a very small hole in them.
Norm

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: July 02, 2023 09:17PM

I find 4.5 to 5.0 size guides pretty hard to beat for a variety of leaders, knots, and stops. They will pass anything they need too if the angler takes care rigging. They are still small and light. I usually use thin ringed sets like Torzite.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---)
Date: July 03, 2023 12:04AM

What Roger said. I second size 6 runners for passing bobber stops on my float rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 03, 2023 04:12PM

Kendall,
Well said --- "if the angler takes care rigging."

However, there are many anglers, that just want to go fishing and will grab a rod, paying little attention to how it is rigged - but still want to do a good job.

Hence, the use of the larger guides, when the rod is going to be used by different folks - including folks who have never fished before.

Best wishes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster