I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with Thread Colors
Posted by: Benjamin Fishbein (---)
Date: June 27, 2023 09:18AM

I am designing a rod with Blue Heron colors in mind where the blanks will be in a naturally grey clear gloss finish. I am looking for a good navy blue thread color. What I have found so far doesn't quite get to the deep inky indigo blue I would prefer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Once I lay out the handle, I will be sure to try out a few colors in between the real seat arbors before wrapping the guides. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with Thread Colors
Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.60.---)
Date: June 27, 2023 11:15AM

Have you looked at Fuji Ultra Poly? [anglersresource.net]

Another option is to visit an embroidery store and pick from the hundreds of Madeira Polyneon thread colors. They will require CP.

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: June 27, 2023 11:59AM

It might be helpful if you could list the threads you've tried and if you used CP or if they were NOCP threads.
Thanks.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: June 27, 2023 01:51PM

Get some pearlized dust and create the color you want. Mix the dust with thread epoxy and test it on top of the thread you choose. I'd wrap about 4" of thread on a scrap blank section and test your color creations. Blue herons have several more colors you can try to match for accents. Sounds like a really cool project. VooDoo.

Posted by: Robert Sunjara (---)
Date: June 27, 2023 10:12PM

Have you looked at ProWrap Blurple 464?

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: June 27, 2023 10:47PM

I have to second Mark’s suggestion. I’m mostly building now with UltraPoly, without CP treated threads or coating, with tone on tone Voodoo Dust. I especially like their metallic pigments for this method. I haven’t used this exact combination, but the ultra poly dark blue with Voodoo Dust Voodoo blue jives with what I’ve liked in maroon, Dunn, and turquoise spectrums. I usually mix one to two of their provided little scoops with 10ml total of rod finish. You can still see the thread work but the color is enriched. I don’t know how a second thread color would show. I’ve tried posting pictures a bunch of times and they never upload even though I can log in to the photo section. I’ve followed the instructions to a tee. I’m done trying.

Posted by: Stan Vogel (---)
Date: June 28, 2023 07:46AM

Pearlized dust? I'm checking this stuff out!

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.242.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 29, 2023 09:15PM

I'm not a fan of Pac Bay but I have had luck with their blue nylon thread. Look into it and see if it meets your needs.

Posted by: Benjamin Fishbein (---)
Date: July 01, 2023 10:32AM

Thanks everyone for the guidance and recommendations. I am looking forward to experimenting more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster