I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2pc rod advice please
Posted by: Tyler Carter (98.96.133.---)
Date: June 26, 2023 07:19PM

First I have never built a 2 piece rod so I'm not at all familiar with the assembly.
What I want to do is make a 2 piece rod that comes apart right at the front of the fore grip
The blank size where it will be cut is about 13mm
Light action casting blank

Can use a standard metal ferrule set for this by gluing the female portion into the handle and the male portion to the rod section?
What problems am I going to run into if any?
Are there any other options?
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2pc rod advice please
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 26, 2023 09:04PM

When you make a spin/fly rod you do exactly that, but you have a ferrule on both ends and you end for end the grip to match your needs, you'll be fine.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2023 09:14PM

You're embarking on a great rod building project. You can do exactly what you want to do but will have to located the parts and pieces to do it. RodMaker ran an article on this a few years for making a spin-fly rod. Very popular. The size ferrules you need remain readily available.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: June 27, 2023 12:43PM

I don't see any mention of him wanting to make a combo style Fly/Spin rod in his original question

Ron Weber

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: June 27, 2023 01:05PM

We carry these that will help you accomplish that task. Just order based on the butt size of the blank that will be inserted in the top (small) ferrule.

[voodoorods.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 27, 2023 01:10PM

It was merely an illustration that he was not doing something that hasn't been tested over time to be viable and carries a knowledge base to work from. He can also build his lower section on aluminum tubing and use a shorter whole blank to make a longer rod when assembled. A ferruled connection at the reel seat or at the end of the foregrip is used on everything from XH saltwater to the lightest UL rods.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 27, 2023 03:44PM

Hello All.

Is this the one Tom?

Volume/Issue.........Article.................................Author................Page.
21/2 Build: Spin/Fly Combination Travel Rod By Tom Kirkman. 16

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Date: June 27, 2023 08:51PM

VooDoo Rods Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We carry these that will help you accomplish that
> task. Just order based on the butt size of the
> blank that will be inserted in the top (small)
> ferrule.
>
> [voodoorods.com]
> utt-joint-system

This looks like what I'm looking for..Thank you

Date: June 27, 2023 08:55PM

Thank you everyone for the responses...I think I have a plan to go forward with now..Thank you VooDoo rods, I'll probably go that route

Also I am not building a spin/fly combo but the info given works for what I want to do

thank you again everyone....This is my first or second post but I've learned so much about building rods from reading all the posts

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster