I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What are my options?
Posted by: Al purvis (---)
Date: June 24, 2023 04:59PM

I think I’ve just learned a tough lesson im afraid.

I just stripped the label section off this rod im building. (If you care why check out my last post) Stripped it off just fine but had a small amount of paint residue on the blank that I used acetone to wipe off. Came clean wonderfully but I wasn’t even thinking about my Fuji winding check sitting right there.

Acetone came into contact with it and maybe did some damage to the clear coat on the winding check I’d assume. It looks tacky (you can’t tell in the picture but trust me) and won’t come clean. It’s driving me insane!

I’m scared to remove it as I tacked a little rod bond on the inner lip connecting it to the carbon fiber grip.

Is there a safe way to attempt to remove? Or what would you guys do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are my options?
Posted by: Ross Pearson (67.3.17.---)
Date: June 24, 2023 05:47PM

A thin coat of thread finish on the winding check should restore the glossy finish.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 24, 2023 06:12PM

Hello Al.

If you have not put the guides on yet, just carefully with a single-sided razor blade and slide a new one down.

If the guides are on cut it off the same way but take your new one and cut it on one side only and work it into place with the cut side on the bottom, then coat it with finish epoxy.

Let us Know How You fix the problem.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: June 24, 2023 10:32PM

I’m with Ross. A thin coat of thread finish and it’ll be good as new.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.60.---)
Date: June 25, 2023 06:50AM

Good lesson on the risks of using acetone. Never use it, never needed to use it.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 25, 2023 08:26AM

Think about using Perma-Gloss its extremely thin and one coat may just do it.

Acetone is a very effective solvent, one just has to be careful using it.

Posted by: Al purvis (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 25, 2023 03:16PM

I used thread finish and a little something else to add some pizzaz. I’ll post photos in the coming weeks whenever I crawl through building this rod. Super happy with the results so far.

Thanks all!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2023 06:40PM

I use acetone from my surfboard building days. It can clean a lot of epoxies and paint very efficiently, the problem is that some plastics do not fair well with it. I have learned the hard way as you have. Just DA when in question and I always use wrapping epoxy on my winding checks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2023 06:41PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 26, 2023 09:04AM

Acetone has no place in my workshop - I can ruin just about anything in short order with that stuff!!!

Agree with the idea to put a very thin coat of rod finish on and call it good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster