I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are most blanks rated based on a specific handle length?
Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: June 22, 2023 02:04PM

I primarily kayak fish small rivers for bass and, as such, prefer a shorter rod with a shorter handle. The shorter overall length helps with the close quarters nature of my fishing and the short handle works better in a sitting position of a kayak.

I've starting wondering about how blanks are rated.

For example, I just built a rod on an MHX SB812 blank.

6'9", 10-17lb, 3/8-5/8oz, M/F

Are these rating based on a specific handle length? If I use a short handle (7" for example) will the rod's capabilities fall outside of the intended line and lure ratings? Vice versa, if I used an extremely long handle?

Isn't this effectively the same as cutting or lengthening the rod?

Or am I overthinking this and the small difference in handle lengths won't play a significant roll in changing the power and action of the rod?

The real reason I ask, is in comparing 2 blanks from the same manufacturer. If I know I use a shorter handle than it is "designed" for, should I buy the longer rod and cut it down or just roll with the blank that comes the length I want?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are most blanks rated based on a specific handle length?
Posted by: Ross Pearson (67.3.17.---)
Date: June 22, 2023 02:35PM

I think (could be wrong) that blanks are "rated" by their pre-build characteristics.

Date: June 22, 2023 02:53PM

Sure. I get that. But it has to be based on something. The line and lure ratings have to have a starting leverage point that is, presumably, not the very end of the rod. Because otherwise adding any handle length would dramatically change the action and power of the rod.

So coming up with the line and lure ratings has to take into account a reel seat location, even if indirectly.

Date: June 22, 2023 03:18PM

A typical action rating comes from where the bend starts when the tip is deflected 1/3 of the blank length. Power is typically described by how much weight it takes to create that deflection. Companies vary in their action and power ratings. This might help [www.rodcents.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2023 03:20PM by Ross Pearson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2023 03:26PM

Ross,

Actually, what you're referring to is part of the Common Cents System. Manufacturers don't base their ratings on the CCS

Patrick,

Most manufacturers base their particular rating on the overall blank length. Handle length doesn't necessarily affect these ratings if you hold the blank at the butt for casting or fish fighting. In any event, unless you get far outside what would be considered a "normal" handle length for that type blank, it's not going to vary.

Date: June 22, 2023 03:30PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ross,
>
> Actually, what you're referring to is part of the
> Common Cents System. Manufacturers don't base
> their ratings on the CCS
>
> .............
>
> Patrick,
>
> Most manufacturers base their particular rating on
> the overall blank length. Handle length doesn't
> necessarily affect these ratings if you hold the
> blank at the butt for casting or fish fighting. In
> any event, unless you get far outside what would
> be considered a "normal" handle length for that
> type blank, it's not going to vary.
>
> ................

Thanks, Tom. That's what I was wondering.

I understand that true blank power and action are intrinsic to the blank itself and where you put the components won't change that, I was more concerned with the fishable power and action of the rod and how changing reel seat location would alter that from the stated ratings given by the manufacturer.

Sounds like I'm good to go and going with shorter handles won't substantively change the fishability of a given blank.

Date: June 22, 2023 03:32PM

Thanks for the correction and clarification, Tom. I should have followed the rule that even a fish stays out of trouble if it keeps its mouth shut.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 22, 2023 05:38PM

Patrick C.,
If you ever looked at an old G Loomis rod catalogs you would notice that the different builds for different species could very well be built on the same blank, they just put the appropriate components on the blank that fit the situation at hand, and whether it was a fresh or saltwater build. A 14-inch rear grip, for instance, on a hotshot casting rod, and a 9-inch rear grip on the same blank used as a spinning rod for bonefish, etc. Lamiglas' Paco Kayak Series was for the most part existing blanks built to specs that made them easier to use while sitting in a kayak, things like proper grip length, grips made to go in and come out of rocket launchers and rod holders as easily as possible, etc. They were all 7 ft. rods if I remember right so you could go around the bow of your boat and net your catch without a struggle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster