I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

All around bass rod
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: June 22, 2023 08:42AM

I want to build a bait caster for a kid I know. My guess is he will throw crank baits, soft plastic frogs, and whatever else he can think of. He won't be fishing heavy weed cover. He's young enough that he can't drive so he bikes from home to the Root River in Rushford Mn. The river has a pretty healthy small mouth population as well as trout, walleyes and northerns and assorted rough fish. I use primarily NFC blanks. I build mostly ultralight trout rods so this is a bit out of my wheelhouse and I would appreciate any blank recommendations.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2023 08:44AM by Jim Reinhardt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: All around bass rod
Posted by: Robert Sunjara (---)
Date: June 22, 2023 08:55AM

I’d suggest a 734 or 735, cheap enough that you won’t be devastated if it gets roughed up but still high performance. 735 for the frogs and heavier baits like jigs, spinnerbaits, etc. 735 for smaller, lighter baits and fish.

Posted by: Harry Glenn (---)
Date: June 22, 2023 09:16AM

if you like NFC blanks then look at the SJ736 Xray.. Very versatile blank

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---)
Date: June 22, 2023 09:39AM

I second the SJ736 blank. In my opinion it feels like a true MH power, Fast action blank. Very versatile rod, I use it for everything from finesse jigs, weightless Texas rigs, light pitching and even some 3.8 swimbaits.

If you wanted to go a little cheaper, the IM-MB704 would make a great multipurpose rod too. The IM would be more durable as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2023 09:42AM by Evan Cobb.

Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: June 22, 2023 09:41AM

I agree with Harry, the SJ 736 Xray is awesome. I use them for jigs, rat-l-traps, small swimbaits, Texas rigged worms.

The MB 705 is an excellent all around bass blank as well.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 22, 2023 01:42PM

Using a bike, motorcycle, or similar transport I like 2 piece rods, much better chance of transport without damage, you can even tube them for further durability. In NFC blanks I would look at the HS 760-2 (IM), in the MHX blanks I would look at the P 704-2 popping blank. Both are versatile blanks/rods.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 23, 2023 07:13PM

X2 on 2 pc.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: June 23, 2023 07:38PM

An all purpose rod to me is a 7’ medium fast. Rodgeeks have nice blanks for whatever price you want to spend and you can choose from a few colors. The metallic colors are very nice.

Date: June 23, 2023 07:54PM

Here’s a couple fuji guide spec’s for a 7’ rod.

Date: June 23, 2023 08:57PM

Here’s Fuji’s “How To” info for casting rod layouts. Step 1…

Date: June 23, 2023 08:59PM

Step 2…

Date: June 23, 2023 09:00PM

Step 3…

Date: June 23, 2023 09:02PM

Step 4…

Date: June 23, 2023 09:14PM

Step 5..

Date: June 23, 2023 09:16PM

Step 5.

Link to original, it’s in Japanese. [www.fujitackle.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 23, 2023 09:59PM

If you are looking at the Rod Geeks the C270MF it also comes in a two-piece 2C70MF2. I just like a longer blanked rod to cover more potential area and increased hookset capability at those longer distances. I personally have only fished the SC3 thru 5 St. Croix 70MF one piece and they are indeed a dandy rod. Not my idea of a frog rod however.

Date: June 24, 2023 07:53AM

I’ve only built on the Bass 4 series and currently building a 7’10 Bass 3 for my bro-in-law. I kinda went on a NFC buying spree for a while but now back to RG for my latest 2 builds (I wanted some painted blanks). I forgot how nice the RG blanks are. I suggest the Carbon 2 for the price and if it’s going to be tossed around by a kid you don’t need to invest too much into the build.

I jus t remember the places I bank fished had trees and brush everywhere making casting a chore on a long rod. I also favored my spinning rod because I was limited with casting a baitcaster due to the tight quarters… a lot of pitching and flippin.

Date: June 24, 2023 08:04AM

I’d say ditch the frog and use poppers and Zara spooks.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: June 26, 2023 01:17PM

Thanks for all the ideas.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster