I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

This might be old news…
Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: June 16, 2023 11:02AM

This might be old news, but they discontinued the Shimano Calcutta 400b. I’m so upset and since I found out last month I have been squiring some, I now have 3. I love that reel. I wish there was a worthy substitute but I am not fond of the c4 from Abu (c3 is different, but imo it’s no calcutta). Maybe I’m just being a reel snob, but it is what it is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This might be old news…
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2023 02:29PM

You are looking for a round reel, but if you can get use to the Tranx lower profile, I think you will love it. I had to get over my attraction to round reels and I started lower profile reels and found they were more comfortable to hold and gave me more options with hand placement. A bit more ergonomic than the Calcutas.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 17, 2023 08:06AM

I totally understand the love for old and older reels. New and improved isn't what it's always what it's cracked up to be. Then there is the love of the classic look of some reels. There are plenty of the older Calcutta 400 B reels for sale on one of the major online @#$%& sites. Some at very reasonable prices, some at not so reasonable prices. But there are quite a few available if that's a route that you're willing to consider.

Getting back to understanding the love of older reels. As I said, it's completely understandable. I used to think the same thing. I have a more than a few 200B and 200D Curados that I thought I'd never want to replace. I used to think how silly the smaller framed 200 size Curados looked compared to those older Curados. I thought, without ever even holding one in my hand, that no way they could be as comfortable to fish with. Well ............ all I can say is, boy was I wrong. Aside from the Infinity braking system they newer reels use, (I am a huge fan of the old VBS system) the newer reels are a far far superior reel. Especially from an ergonomics stand point. They are a joy to fish.

I think if you gave the Tranx that Lance mentioned a try, you would absolutely fall in love with it. I have a friend who is more than a little crazy about muskie fishing. He too raved about his Calcuttas. Then about a year and a half ago he got his first Tranx. Using his words .... "I never thought I'd say this, but this thing blows my Calcuttas away"

Anyhow ..... if you don't want to go the online @#$%& site route, there are more than a few worthy substitutes for the Calcutta you mourn.

Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---)
Date: June 17, 2023 03:47PM

Maybe I’ll give the Tranx a shot. Thing is I just cast a rig from shore and then sit and wait. If I was constantly casting, say for musky then I’d probably be less weary of going the low pro route.

I tend to backlash low pro reels way more than round reels. For some reason I really like Abu reels
For low pro. But lexa’s and curado I backlash. People didn’t believe me until I backlashed a Lexa and then said “watch this” and spun in circles, closed my eyes and cast with a calcutta and it went nearly where I wanted it to.

I tend to like magnetic breaks more than centrifugal, which I know is oxymoronic because the Calcutta is centrifugal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster