I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quality of Alps products
Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: June 16, 2023 10:59AM

Hi. I am American and usually have my rods made by American rod builders and sent up to where I am in Canada. Nothing against Canadians, I am just a proud American lol. Anyway, up here everything is Rainshadow/Alps. How are the Alps products? Do they make good guides? Their reel seats look good, however they are aluminum and last time I posted about aluminum reel seats on here I was overwhelmingly told there is no need for them really.

Thank you in advance.

Oh! Also, if you were to get Alps guides, which ones would you get for 50lb braid on something like an Ugly Stik tiger? Reel is a calcutta 400b

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quality of Alps products
Posted by: david loftus (---)
Date: June 16, 2023 11:22AM

Yes ALPS are just as good as fugi at less cost. If you had a rod with fugi guides on it and another of the same action and weight with ALPS,I bet you 1000 bucks you would not tell the difference. Now days all the rings that come in guides develop notchs with braid.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sf-cable.astound.net)
Date: June 16, 2023 12:15PM

Never had a notched alps guide...even for a repair. Alps XN series is fine for your 50#.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sf-cable.astound.net)
Date: June 16, 2023 12:16PM

Never had a notched alps guide...even for a repair. Alps XN series is fine for your 50#.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.242.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 16, 2023 12:19PM

Very solid products

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: June 16, 2023 12:38PM

They next time I build a heavier rod with the MXN series, I’m probably going transition to their low rider option. The regular height ones leave a bit more of a step down at the tip than I like. I use MXN’s on a Tranx 400 and they have been a great fit for heavy inshore use. This series should work as well on the Calcutta 400.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 16, 2023 12:40PM

I also have never had a guide ring grooved by braid. Or anything else. And I've used some real cheapies before getting into serious rodbuilding. All the ceramic rings currently on the market are fine with braid. Tiptops, because their job is more challenging, can groove with inferior rings, so I always use SIC or something close.

To directly answer the question, Rainshadow/Alps products are of high quality. Not to worry.

And Alps offers graphite seats if you don't want aluminum.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: June 16, 2023 01:11PM

I like that Alps and Rainforest production is in Taiwan and South Korea, when feasible. They even tried for an extended period of time to have the RX10’s made in the USA.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2023 02:21PM

Alps and Rainshadow are quality components, I use their blanks, reel seats and winding checks on a regular basis. Pretty sure your not going to have an issue with grooving guide rings or tip tops. Look at the RX7 S-Glass blanks, very similar to the Ugly Stik. If you need something heavier RX6 E-Glass.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: June 16, 2023 06:13PM

Batson Enterprises provides quality components with a very broad selection of guide styles in 304 stainless (Forecast), 316 stainless and titanium (Alps) with multiple ring material options. They have great reel seat options in both graphite / nylon and in aluminum. I feel their aluminum seats are top in the industry in terms of finish quality On the blank front, tons of options across performance, price point and fishing styles. Batson components & blanks make up probably 95% of the BOM on what I build across the board.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 16, 2023 06:36PM

As to which guide - what type of rod will it be and what is the target species? - from a “ratings” perspective the XN would be fine and likely overkill - the MXN double foot likely would be fine and depending on the target of the rod I wouldn’t be against putting there MXNs and then F series runners

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2023 06:38PM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---)
Date: June 16, 2023 09:27PM

Target species is lake sturgeon. Rod would be an ugly stick tiger ML 8’. Reel would be shimano calcutta and like would be 50lb braid

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: June 16, 2023 10:10PM

Double foot all the way. XNs if you go strictly by the line recommendation but I wouldn’t be afraid of using MXN’s to be a little lighter - not a huge difference in the MXN & XN but adds up I guess

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 16, 2023 11:58PM

I have lesser quality guides on my white sturgeon rod I built in 1985, still waiting for a problem with the guides and they had nothing but braid fed to them since its introduction. Alps guides are right up there with the best.

Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: June 17, 2023 11:47AM

Michael Ward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Double foot all the way. XNs if you go strictly
> by the line recommendation but I wouldn’t be
> afraid of using MXN’s to be a little lighter -
> not a huge difference in the MXN & XN but adds up
> I guess

What’s the difference between the two. I looked them up but couldn’t tell.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: June 17, 2023 02:08PM

The XN is a bit stouter guide - a little longer footprint, slightly taller

Refer to page 209 (MXN) and page 211 (XN) for specs on dimensions and such

[online.flipbuilder.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2023 02:08PM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: June 17, 2023 07:52PM

I build fly rods and use Batson products almost exclusively, never had and issue with their guides and feet are already prepped nicely

Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: June 21, 2023 02:06PM

The Alps MXN guides are pretty stout and can be used for builds up to 30-40lb. class. The Alps XN's are overkill for most freshwater applications and can be used for builds up to 60lb. class. We welcome builder inquiries by phone or email. Contact info at [batsonenterprises.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster