I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripping and reduction guide size when using round baitcasters
Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: June 11, 2023 11:32AM

I'm building a rod on an MHX SB812 blank for my brother that he will use an older Ambassadeur 5500 C3 on for bass fishing. I'd like to end up with Fuji KT5 running guides, but am not sure what size stripping and reduction guides I'll need.

I'm thinking 1 LKW12, 2 KB8, and 7 KT5 but am concerned about stepping down that much between guides both from a functional and aesthetic standpoint. Reel will be mounted on a Fuji ECS reel seat.

Can anyone offer some guidance? I realize the right answer is to order several different guide sizes and figure out what works best, I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripping and reduction guide size when using round baitcasters
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 11, 2023 02:50PM

Wouldn't think you would need more than one KB 8. Back in the late 80's Berkeley came out with the Series One rods, the first guide from the reel was a SiC 10 mm DF, I found that there was no need for a larger guide with your reel and even a 6500, you'll be fine I bet, you have a lucky brother.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 11, 2023 03:29PM

I really like the RV6 as a first guide, then all the rest the same size, usually with 2 KB's. Size 5 runners will be fine.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 11, 2023 04:03PM

Patrick,
You may want to check if Fuji / Anglers Resource offers KBs in size 8; used to be no larger than 6, but things may have changed. However, the KTs are available to size 10??? I have no idea what their logic is there; if anything, one would think the KBs would be available in larger ring sizes than the KTs!?!?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: June 11, 2023 04:17PM

The feet on the KT10 and KT8 are sufficiently large enough, no need to make them larger.
Norm

Date: June 12, 2023 03:52PM

Thanks for the feedback. I looked into the RV6 and really like that. I think I'll give that a shot.

And good to know on the KBs. Biggest I could find was a KB7. I don't anticipate using one that large in the future if the RV6 works out.

I rarely run across folks using conventional round baitcasters these days except for some inshore guys that still swear by the Calcutta 200s. Hopefully the RV6 will work for that as well.

Thanks!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 12, 2023 09:06PM

I'm one of the weirdos, I really like my Calcutta 251.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: June 12, 2023 09:14PM

I just stuck my old Daiwa CVZ 253a on a rod with an RV6 guide to test. It casted perfectly fine and I couldn’t detect any unusual friction. I don’t have an equivalent enough rod to do a meaningful distance comparison.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2023 09:16PM

I assume by "stripping" you mean butt guide. (Only fly rods have a stripping guide)

You only need two size guides on the rod. No need to go larger than needed. If you know 5's will work just go right from a 10 or 12 butt guide to the 5's. Anything else is just for your eyes, not the actual line path.

Date: June 13, 2023 07:54AM

Kendall Cikanek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just stuck my old Daiwa CVZ 253a on a rod with
> an RV6 guide to test. It casted perfectly fine and
> I couldn’t detect any unusual friction. I
> don’t have an equivalent enough rod to do a
> meaningful distance comparison.

Sweet. Thank you for that. I'm excited for the build. My brother's 40th bday is coming up so I got a hold of his Ambassadeur under false pretenses so I could add a supertune kit turning his 5500 C3 into a C5 with upgraded carbon drag and now I'm building a dedicated small-plastics river rod for him. He loves to kayak fish shallow rivers down here. He's (hopefully) going to be stoked.

Date: June 13, 2023 09:39AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> I assume by "stripping" you mean butt guide. (Only
> fly rods have a stripping guide)
> ................

Ah. Appreciate the clarification. I've always seen "stripping" guide used like for the Kigan guide here:
[www.hydrafishing.com]

Or the Fuji RV guide here:
[mudhole.com]

I assume those are appropriate for use on casting rods and not fly rods?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 13, 2023 10:38AM

I usually just refer to the first guide as "the first guide" and avoid the nomenclature issue. I can never keep it straight. Butt, stripper, first, etc. "Stripper" for fly rods does make sense since one "strips" line with a fly rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2023 10:48AM

Patrick,

The guides themselves are the same, but the terminology is different. Line is stripped from a fly reel, not cast from it. Thus, "Stripping" guide. On everything else the 1st guide is the butt guide.

Catalogs and companies often get the terminology wrong, including using terms like action for power. What the heck is a "heavy action" rod?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2023 04:27PM

Butt guide RV6, followed by 6-KB5s, then 3-KT5s. That is exactly how I would do it. Use the Alconite ring guides in either SS or CC. You have to bite the bullet on the RV6 because they don't have them for less than $11.00. A KW12 will also work followed by the KW8 or KB8 Then the rest of the 5s with the last 3-5s on the tip section being KTs. But the butt guide 20" to 21" from the reel face.

Date: June 13, 2023 05:39PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
> Butt guide RV6, followed by 6-KB5s, then 3-KT5s.
> That is exactly how I would do it. Use the
> Alconite ring guides in either SS or CC. You have
> to bite the bullet on the RV6 because they don't
> have them for less than $11.00. A KW12 will also
> work followed by the KW8 or KB8 Then the rest of
> the 5s with the last 3-5s on the tip section
> being KTs. But the butt guide 20" to 21" from the
> reel face.

What's the theory/reasoning behind the number of KB vs KT? I understand the KB have a longer/wider foot but wasn't sure when you should make the transition? Most recipes I see recommend kbs for 2 or 3 guides after butt guide. But I've also seen them used almost all the way to the tip.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2023 05:45PM

Patrick Coco Wrote:
> Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Butt guide RV6, followed by 6-KB5s, then
> 3-KT5s.
> > That is exactly how I would do it. Use the
> > Alconite ring guides in either SS or CC. You
> have
> > to bite the bullet on the RV6 because they
> don't
> > have them for less than $11.00. A KW12 will
> also
> > work followed by the KW8 or KB8 Then the rest
> of
> > the 5s with the last 3-5s on the tip section
> > being KTs. But the butt guide 20" to 21" from
> the
> > reel face.
>
>
> What's the theory/reasoning behind the number of
> KB vs KT? I understand the KB have a longer/wider
> foot but wasn't sure when you should make the
> transition? Most recipes I see recommend kbs for 2
> or 3 guides after butt guide. But I've also seen
> them used almost all the way to the tip.

The KT have a narrow foot and are a little lighter than the KB guides. I usually do only the tip part of the blank with the KT guides to save a little weight and sometimes the foot of the KB is too wide for the tip part of the blank. I used to use all KT running guides before they came out with the KB.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: June 13, 2023 09:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster