I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metal winding check sizing
Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: June 10, 2023 05:22PM

Is it better to have a perfectly snug fit or a small gap for winding checks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metal winding check sizing
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 10, 2023 05:50PM

Hello Michael.

I prefer a gap about the size of "A-D" thread unless the rod bends way down, just remember that if a fish bends hard where the check is your rod could possibly break at the check.

You have to exorcise a little common sense (know wat you will be using the rod for and what the fish your fishing for and what those fish can do to you rod).

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2023 07:22PM

I prefer to get the measurement and go one size up. I then wrap the rod first and slide the winding check over the wrap. It gives just cleaner aesthetics in my opinion.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 10, 2023 07:54PM

Do not just drop the metal check down the blank, some have sharp edges that will grab to blank when they fall and will be a real bear to remove and leave a nick in your finish or blank afterward. Slide them down, I use a two fingered fork underneath to ease them down.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 10, 2023 10:00PM

You want the winding check to slide down 100 percent on its own to the grip, so a tiny bit of wiggle room is needed. Buy some cheap digital calipers at Harbor Freight, measure the location on the rod of the winding check, and order accordingly. While one must be very careful, you can enlargen the inner ring of a winding check with a fine rat tail file and/or some fine grit sandpaper.

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.77.235.---)
Date: June 11, 2023 01:55AM

I like the look of winding checks, but yeah.. all that was said above

I put a skinny bit of tape on the blank where the winding check end will go, acts as a shim too, if it overlaps a bit it can be trimmed, then epoxy it inplace.

Can be expensive these things, and i've made them out of anything laying around, bike parts.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 11, 2023 08:25AM

The winding check should slide down the blank easily without any applied force. Make sure the check is de-burred each time the check is test fitted.

Have fun

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: June 11, 2023 07:56PM

Thank you guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster