I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why is this?
Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: June 09, 2023 01:23PM

Hi guys. So I made a post yesterday about casting with a trolling rod. I was wondering why many people say you can’t cast a trolling to it’s rated lure weight. Is the blank constructed differently? Does it have to do with rod response in specific situations (for example, bottom bouncing)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is this?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 09, 2023 01:38PM

I don't think anyone said you can't cast a trolling rod, it's done all the time in the Pac NW, you drift or float fish the river from the bank one trip, and then fish from a boat soaking a plug, spinner, or bait the next, or even troll/mooch a herring the next trip, it's just that casting stores energy from the weight involved and bends the rod much more than statically suspending or resting a weight on the bottom, even reeling in the offering bends the rod far less than casting. You can probably lob a 5 oz. weight with that rod, but the response and resulting performance will be less than satisfactory.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 09, 2023 01:52PM

On the canal if we were waiting to load up I would grab a trolling rod and sling Buzz Bombs from the point by Whitney Shellfish Lab. I caught many backlashes and a few fish as a kid.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2023 03:11PM

The ideal trolling weight and the ideal casting weight are not necessarily going to be the same thing. But that doesn't mean the rod can't be used to cast with.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2023 03:56PM

Also depends on the reel being used. Many reels designed for trolling are not designed for casting. This is especially true for offshore saltwater trolling.
Norm

Posted by: brian rossi (---)
Date: June 09, 2023 09:34PM

Not always but typically a manufacturer lists the rods specs related for the application it's designed for. In this case it's designed for trolling a certain weight. Trolling a couple ounce puts a lot less stress on a rod than casting a couple ounces. There is no issue with it in respects to casting. It will cast. The potential problem is will it cast what the specs are. I'm guessing probably not. I believe there was or is a manufacturer that listed casting and jigging weight recommendations for their blanks because they're different.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: June 10, 2023 01:45AM

You also don’t want to cast most saltwater jigging rods with more than about a quarter to a third of their weight rating for principally the same reason. Vertical jigging barely loads a rod in comparison to the acceleration involved in casting. The buoyancy of water also decreases the felt weight of the jig.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster