I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help
Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---)
Date: June 08, 2023 04:45PM

Hi guys. I bought a GLoomis 982c HSR after talking to a retailer. They told me it was fine to cast with, that it wasn’t just a trolling rod. Well I got the rod in the mail today and the guides are real small like a trolling rod. It’s rated for 1/2-5oz. I normally cast 3-4oz. If I get the guides taken off and have new ones put on, will that make it more cast friendly or am I screwed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2023 05:19PM

Are you using a spinning or casting reel?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 08, 2023 06:56PM

Try casting with it and go from there.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 08, 2023 07:19PM

Mine cast beautifully, though I think I like the 932 best. I don't believe that blank was ever made into a spinning rod like the HSR9000, 901, 931, and 981 were, some of these are also in the G Loomis Greenwater Series salt rods with different components to match their intended use. Your guides are the same used on bass, walleye, and salmon/steelhead casting rods. they are not strictly trolling rod guides. Looking at my notes the HS982 blank looks like it was jumped over for use in the saltwater Greenwater Series, spinning and casting versions of the HS981 blank rated 10-20 line,1/4 to 1 1/4 oz casting weights, the than they jumped to the HS983 blank which was designed to be the big plug, big weight, and larger salmon rod, it is only a casting version, would make a nice tarpon rod. It's rated 14-30 line, 3/8 to 1 1/2 oz. weight, so you can see there was no real need for the HS982 blank in the lineup.

Date: June 08, 2023 08:27PM

I spoke to mud hole and they said if I change the guides I should be able to cast 3-4oz no problem as the rod is rated to 5oz.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 08, 2023 08:58PM

David,
As others have said.

Take the rod, put a reel on it that you like with line on it that you like and go casting and see how it goes.

Remarkably small guides can handle many different lines with no issues.

So, I would certainly try using it, fishing with it, and casting with it - with various weights and various lines and see how it works out.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: June 08, 2023 08:59PM

I find that Lynn's answer is the best yet. I would put the intended reel on the rod and go cast what you normally would use with it. What size, and type of line are you using? As long as you're keeping your knots (if any) small and they easily pass through the guides without hanging up on them, you ought to be fine.

Date: June 08, 2023 09:00PM

David,
Also, this is a really nice rod as delivered from Loomis,

I would purchase another rod that is better suited for your needs before making any changes to the Loomis. But, keep the loomis as well and if it doesn't suit you for one need, then use it for a use that does suit you.

Best wishes.

Date: June 08, 2023 09:00PM

David,
Also, this is a really nice rod as delivered from Loomis,

I would purchase another rod that is better suited for your needs before making any changes to the Loomis. But, keep the loomis as well and if it doesn't suit you for one need, then use it for a use that does suit you.

Best wishes.

Date: June 08, 2023 09:02PM

Are you using a casting or spinning reel? The model nomenclature would indicate that it is intended for a casting reel.

Date: June 08, 2023 09:08PM

It's rated for 5 oz. soaking a weight on the bottom holding down a K 15 Kwikfish, or 4.5 MagLip plug. It is after all a hotshot rod. Maybe Tom can come up and tell us how much his stretched HS932 blanks could throw, should be fairly similar. I usually figure 1/3 of that rating is about right as a max casting weight if you aren't into lobbing the offering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2023 09:13PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: June 08, 2023 09:32PM

Thank you guys so much. I think I might have a use for this rod, other than what I was intending it for. I just got to talk to my buddy see if it will work for lake trout trolling. If they have no idea because I fish for lake sturgeon, walleye and pike,

Date: June 08, 2023 09:33PM

What I'm trying to get at here is how the rod is being used. If the owner is using a casting reel the guides are not at all too small. If he is using a spinning reel, the first few guides may be too small. Putting a spinning reel on a casting rod will work, but not extremely well.

Date: June 08, 2023 09:45PM

I would be casting a slip rig with a 4oz pyramid weight casting full force with a shimano calcutta reel and 50lb braid.

Date: June 08, 2023 09:55PM

Nevermind guys I found a use! Thank you so much for helping me out. I’m gonna try it vertical jogging for lake trout as it is the length, power and action my buddy recommended for lake trout jigging!

Date: June 09, 2023 02:02AM

It would work fine as a jigging rod. grip lengths, everything will be great. Wouldn't be afraid to use it on sturgeon either, I have caught many keeper white sturgeon to 6 ft. on that rod, and others up to the Lamiglas XCC 885 C.

Date: June 09, 2023 06:38AM

David Riesenbeck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would be casting a slip rig with a 4oz pyramid
> weight casting full force with a shimano calcutta
> reel and 50lb braid.

In that case the guides are fine as they are.

Date: June 09, 2023 11:51AM

Perfect! Thank you guys! I post some dumb things sometimes and you gurus never make me feel bad about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster