I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a top-shelf inshore/redfish blank
Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:14AM

I’m wanting to build a nice redfish spinning rod for the brother-in-law’s retirement from the Navy. From what I’ve gathered online about redfish rods they use 7 to 7’6” medium/fast action rods. He fishes the Charleston SC and plans to stay in that area after retiring. I know he fishes from a pedal kayak and mainly uses artificial lures (I think he uses casting spoons). Anyone who has a favorite rod blank for these fish or technique please chime in. Price is not a factor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a top-shelf inshore/redfish blank
Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:16AM

To add I’ll probably buy him a 3000 size reel or equivalent… keeping it light.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:50AM

I'm very satisfied with NFC Delta and Xray blanks for reds and specks. For the kayak rods the 703-1 Delta 7' ML works great in either casting or spinning configurations. The ML blank is a bit too light for shore or bay boat use but for a yak its sufficient especially when you go for that Cajun sleigh ride. A 7" to 8" rear grip for kayak use makes for a comfortable lure presentation and management.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:59AM

Can't help with the blank, but if you don't have a reel picked out yet, I'd suggest a Shimano Vanford. I have a 2500 and it is an awesome reel. The 2500 and the 3000 use the same body, but with different spools, which it what gives the 3000 greater line capacity. Everything about the reel is super smooth, and the 2500 and 3000 only weigh 6.3 oz.

It's a gorgeous reel as well. At least I think it is. lol

And if you plan on building the rod with a little bling, the various red Alps trim pieces match the red in the reel, to a tee. And if you're planning on any metallic trim bands for your wraps, Sulky #8054 metallic thread is a perfect match for the red in the reel. I will say that it's an odd thread to work with in that it's flat. I wrap my trim bands and thread inlays by hand, and it's a little slick to grip as well. But with a little practice, you get used to it. Below is a link to a picture of the reel on a rod I built.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The only thing I wish I would have done differently, would have been to add a one or two wrap silver metallic inlay in the middle of my wraps. That would have really carried the colors of the reel, perfectly into the rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2023 08:04AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 08, 2023 08:35AM

Redfish aren't exactly finesse fishing, so the choice of a higher modulus graphite should be based on a desire to save weight/casting fatigue, rather than a sensitivity gain. Most inshore anglers prefer a moderate fast to fast action, MH power rod in that 7-7'6" range. Too fast of an action is a recipe for losing fish (redfish and snook both).

I know you probably aren't looking for a travel blank for him - but I built a personal inshore rod for my last trip to Florida on the 3 piece AmTack 7' ML travel blank - it fishes much more 'medium' than ML, and it performed well for average size snook, ladyfish, etc. I think that blank in the medium power would be a very good choice for bigger snook and reds.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2023 08:56AM

Point Blanks are fantastic blanks for redfish, very light and powerful. I love the ones I have, the PB701MF, PB731MXF, PB731MLF, PB691MXF and PB691MLXF. They are all great blanks. I’ve also made several for a friend who lives in Mt Pleasant SC and fishes the marshes in that area for red fish and he also loves them. Everyone I make a Point Blank for tends to come back for another one, they are that good.
[pointblankrods.com]
Norm

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 11:29AM

One more thing. I wouldn't go overboard (no pun intended) on the expense. Yak fishing really puts a beating on the equipment.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 04:31PM

Most of the popping blanks are in the ML-M and typically MF-F. In a yak, I like a more mod (not XF) for ease of landing. Just need a stiff enough top to not drive you nuts working the lure. I slow roll spoons, so it isn’t a factor.
AmTac matrix 6-12 or 8-14
NFC P704
Point Blank ML
To name just a few.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 06:05PM

I have used the NFC blanks, but the G Loomis blanks they came from I enjoyed a lot, one of the few rods I have ever broken was my 704 GLX, my 704 GL3 has done yeoman duty for many decades and have never had a reason for concern. I would use the IM or Delta blanks for your yak build.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:51PM

Thank you for the recommendations, I’ll start looking into some of these blanks. I didn’t think about how much a rod gets abused in a kayak.

The Vanford is definitely a contender for reel choices. I love the Ci4’s I have and couldn’t imagine the Vanford being any less pleasing to fish with.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 09:04PM

I’ll add to the considerations already given the United Composites UC78M. It should take the beating of the fish and the kayak. I’d error towards extra length as enhanced casting distance appeared to me to be a strong positive with redfish. I’ve found them in my limited experience to be more skittish in the shallows than bonefish. The St. Croix/Rod Geeks C3710MMF is also a very interesting choice. It is their new Victory series sold in blank form. These are light and are gaining a good reputation for strength and sensitivity. I fished a factory built Victory on a friend’s boat and really liked everything but the EVA reel seat insert. Cutting two to four inches from the butt to make kayak landing a little easier isn’t going to change the action of a blank this long very much. Rod Geeks will even do it for you if you ask. I will probably build the C3710MMF this fall to go along with the UC78L I just built. It can back it up while offering just a little heavier power option when conditions warrant.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.63.---)
Date: May 09, 2023 06:11AM

I agree with Norman about Point Blanks. Keep in mind that with Point Blank you not only get blanks that are very powerful for their weight, they have the highest True Natural Frequencies of the blanks I've tested, and they publish CCS numbers so you know what you are buying right out of the box. If you want the surest hi performance blank, no surprises on power and action, you'll go Point Blank.

Keep in mind that with blanks of the longer lengths fast actions are not the problem they are with shorter blanks. I use a Point Blank 731MXF for cranks and have no trouble keeping fish pinned. With CCS of 25 at 1.72 oz, I don't think you'll find a better combination of power/weight.

Date: May 09, 2023 07:16AM

Love it! I’m ignorant to real world red fishing experience… I’ve only caught 2 so your helping me learn.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 09, 2023 11:37AM

After trying many inshore blanks I also decided to go with Rod Geeks models and am incredibly pleased . I'm very familiar with St. Croix blanks and these are the same thing except cheaper . The fact that I could get them in the 8 foot length which is a must for me for inshore salt water had a lot to do with it.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2023 11:58AM

I used a 7' Phenix K2 Lite 4-10# blank to make a spinning rod using a 2500 Shimano reel with 20# braid on it. I really thought I would break the rod but I have caught red fish, trout and flounder on it, and it has been abused but is in great shape. I have been spooled several times by jack fish on it and it still did not break. I would of usually not of built on a light blank for that purpose but it has totally surprised me. Very fun to fish and lite weight. I fish everything from 1/16oz to a Top Dog size lures on it. It is an expensive blank, textured but well worth the effort.

Date: May 09, 2023 08:11PM

Thanks again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster