I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork Composites C6O2 Steelhead
Posted by: Dominic Meads (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 02, 2023 12:50AM

Got my brand new C602 blank in from NFC last week and played with it a bunch this weekend. I wanted to post my thoughts on here.

I got the St 10105-2, and the closest blank I have to compare it to is the St 1065-2 (HM).

The 10105 is a MH ex-fast (1/2 - 1 and 1/2 --- 12-20lb), while the 1065 is MH moderate (3/8 to 1 and 1/2 --- 10-20lb).

The 10105 weighed in at 86 grams on my scale, while the 1065 was 92 grams. 6 grams doesn't seem like much but when you consider that the 10105 is longer and the butt section diameter is MUCH larger, its pretty incredible. It balances so much better than the 1065, which is already pretty light, but I think this has to do with the amount of material in the butt of the 10105.

The color is a matte carbonish grey, while the HM has a little bit of a sheen to it, the C602 doesn't really (hard to explain without pics, this is my first post on the forum, how do I post pics?)

The ferrule is different too! It looks more traditional and straight, vs the HM ferrule which is thick then tapers quickly down. I think Gary patented the ferrule on the HM (and maybe IM/SM) rods, and I would love to know the performance reason of using a different ferrule design on the C602 rods. Maybe Aleks can shed some light?

Addtionally, the male part is sanded down, but mine seems to be sanded down about a half inch past the point where the ferrule fits snuggly together. Is there a reason for this too? in certain light it just looks a little odd.

The C6O2 blank sounds different also. The HM blank sounds hollow, and lightly tapping it makes sound reverberate through the blank. The C602 blank sounds muffled almost, and (this is going to be hard to describe haha) sounds "denser" in a way? its like tapping an aluminum pipe vs steel pipe, but if the steel pipe was lighter. Really cool and unique.

Its crazy sensitive, I didn't think my HM rods with carbon grips and exposed blank reel seats could get any better, but this will be on another level. It is going to be crazy.

Is it worth it? Yes! Its lighter weight, balances better, and is more sensitive than the HM blank. I don't know how NFC found this material but they knocked it out of the park! Now I want all the steelhead air carbon blanks haha.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork Composites C6O2 Steelhead
Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 02, 2023 12:20PM

Sounds great , the lighter the better , every ounce counts .

It's especially important with surf rod builds , not nearly as critical in shorter length rod builds at least in my view because they're much easier to handle and fish with without fatigue anyway .

Posted by: Dominic Meads (---.mobile.uscc.com)
Date: May 02, 2023 01:02PM

chris c nash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds great , the lighter the better , every
> ounce counts .
>
> It's especially important with surf rod builds ,

I totally agree, NFC has a surf blank made out of this stuff and I want that one now too ????.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 02, 2023 01:29PM

Problem with that surf blank for me is I believe it's a 12 footer with a lure weight range from 2-10 or something along those lines . You would have to acquire one and see where it excels at which will certainly not be that wide a range . Could be anywhere from 4 to 8 ounces.

I rarely if ever throw over 3 ounces and I personally prefer surf blanks in the 9 to 11 foot range with lure weight ratings along the lines of 2-4 , 2-6 , 1-4 and I believe at some point NFC will offer those in the C602 material . Crossed fingers

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: May 05, 2023 03:32PM

I haven’t built my 10105 but did on the 10’ 4”. I built it as a cp float rod for salmon and steelhead in tight water where you need to put the boots to them. Feels great in the hand, has a 4 3/8” Milner bushing on it with the carbon fibre grips and high frame guides. Haven’t caught any fish on it but it casts great and feels like it’s be able to pull which some traditional cp blanks tend to lack in. The 10105 is going to be a great chinook stick.

Posted by: Dominic Meads (---.mobile.uscc.com)
Date: May 07, 2023 06:37PM

Ross Montgomery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 10105 is going to be a great chinook stick.

Thats what I though too! The chinook in my river are smaller than average, and I think it will be perfect. I noticed that mine seems pretty powerful as well, you were saying the 10'4" feels like it can pull. I think this is due to the super crisp action maybe? Feels pretty responsive and stiff, which I like.

Is your ferrule sanded past the mark for the joint by any chance? Mine is and I am wondering if this was done on purpose.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: May 07, 2023 11:39PM

Definitely sanded on purpose. Over time the ferrules will wear and this allows for that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster