I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing a leveling issue over rod description
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: April 30, 2023 06:41PM

First time I've had this issue, but the epoxy finish didn't level out smooth over rod specs decal. I can only assume I got a little heavy handed with the finish epoxy. The only thing I know to do is live with it, or sand it down carefully and put on another coat. I thought of possibly using heat, but I worry if I start adding heat to it, it might weaken the rod blank? Ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing a leveling issue over rod description
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2023 06:57PM

Heat isn't going to do anything for you.

Let what you have now set for about 3 days. Back a piece of 320 grit sandpaper with a wood block. Rotate the rod and sand the surface lightly. You should quickly see where the high spots are as they won't show any contact with the sandpaper. Once the entire surface shows sanding scratches, it's level. Repeat lightly with some 400 grit and then 600 if you like. Dust off the surface with a soft paintbrush. Do NOT wipe it with any solvent. Apply a new application of finish and go easy. It won't take much.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 30, 2023 07:02PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heat isn't going to do anything for you.
>
> Let what you have now set for about 3 days. Back a
> piece of 320 grit sandpaper with a wood block.
> Rotate the rod and sand the surface lightly. You
> should quickly see where the high spots are as
> they won't show any contact with the sandpaper.
> Once the entire surface shows sanding scratches,
> it's level. Repeat lightly with some 400 grit and
> then 600 if you like. Dust off the surface with a
> soft paintbrush. Do NOT wipe it with any solvent.
> Apply a new application of finish and go easy. It
> won't take much.
>
> .......................

Low spots

Date: April 30, 2023 07:27PM

Thanks! I’ll give that a go.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 30, 2023 07:45PM

Tom has the solution for this situation, but give some thought to avoiding it in the future. My wavy problems have always been caused by too much heat or too much epoxy. Or both. I now use lite build epoxy and no heat, and make sure the blank is covered/wet/smooth, but not so much that I have to take any off. I never have to take any off. I use a brush and spread the epoxy with longitudinal brush strokes. Seems to be working well.

Date: April 30, 2023 08:39PM

I recently switched epoxy and think I got a little too much on. I don’t use heat with this epoxy so I know it wasn’t due to that.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 30, 2023 09:35PM

Presuming you are using a rod dryer and not just rotating. I have only built six rods and still have a bit of difficulty on a long smooth section of the labeling area, especially if I have a hook keeper and put one wrap at the winding check, another at the tip-facing side of the hook keeper, then another wrap maybe 2.5 to 3 inches down the rod from that, between which I put the label or write the rod information. It is even a bit more difficult to get it smooth if you have a rod that does not have smooth surface, such as the NFC LMX blanks.

Smooth or ribbed surface, I do as Tom suggests above. I put on 3 or maybe four light light coats. If after three coats the entire area does not look smooth, as Tom suggest, I go to 300 or more grit sand paper. I put it on a small sanding block or wrap it on a 12" ruler, and sand lightly until the entire area is smoothed. As stated. The flat block or ruler will show the low areas, as they will be the last to get sanded. Do not clear the sanded area or dust with solvent. You can wipe it with a cloth damped in water if you like, but solvents could ruin the sanded epoxy. A final coat fills in over the sanded area beautifully.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 30, 2023 09:55PM

Daryl,
This is an ongoing issue which I have tried (and given-up on) to resolve a few times here on RB.O. Either the respondents to my quest of how to obtain a perfectly level, ground-glass type lens over a long area do not epoxy more than a .5in wide guide wrap or they are simply not as picky as I am; I suspect the latter. All I can offer is to apply enough epoxy to allow it to self-level without applying too much to allow it to sag. With the rod turning, lightly drag your brush or spatula up and down the rod, creating an X pattern to help even-out the epoxy from end-to-end as well as rotationaly. Unfortunately, “too much” or “too little” is subjective and only determined through trial and error. I also reverse the rotation of the rod periodically (more often at the beginning of cure). Good Luck!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (67.3.17.---)
Date: April 30, 2023 11:43PM

After applying a sufficient layer of finish with either manual or finishing motor rotation to the top of the blank with it moving away from me, I move from the top of the blank for applying to the bottom with the spatula just barely touching the blank. Going the length of the finished area once or twice near the bottom front of the blank lets any excess collect on spatula. If using a brush, I use light pressure on the flat brush tip to the front middle axis to have the excess finish collect on the bottom of a flat brush.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2023 11:52PM by Ross Pearson.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: May 01, 2023 06:44AM

Actually would not the high spots show the contact with the sandpaper and block first?

Ron Weber

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.203.218.---)
Date: May 01, 2023 10:24AM

Daryl,
Cut a 1"-2" strip of 600 - 1000 grit wet or dry and sand like you would be buffing your shoe with a cloth.
Then just rotate to hit the other sides.
Herb

Date: May 01, 2023 10:49AM

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Posted by: Ray Morrison (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 01, 2023 02:50PM

Bill Falconer has a couple of good videos on YouTube.

The first one shows how to do long wraps. The light horizontal brush strokes helped make mine look a lot better.
"How to Apply Custom Rod Butt Wrap Finish the FCR Way"
[www.youtube.com]

The second video shows a lot of similar steps to what people have already provided on fixing the finish.
"How to Fix Finish Problems the FCR Way"
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: May 01, 2023 04:52PM

If it's not too late, put another layer of finish on before sanding. It will give you a bit of sanding safety margin to prevent sanding into the decal.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 02, 2023 10:41AM

Hello Daryl.

One thing a lot of folks forget to do is to make sure your rod is level before you start finishing.

However to fix your problem follow Tom's instructions.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: May 02, 2023 11:49AM

I got it fixed. I exercised more caution than I probably needed to, but I was worried about sanding into the decal. Anyway, I just sanded progressively with higher and higher grit that I put on a small wood block until all the shiny spots were gone. Refinished it and it looks great. In hindsight, I think I just got a little heavy handed with the finish and that’s why it ended up wavy. As I said, I switched to a new brand and it’s little different consistency from the stuff I was using. That’s the only variable.

p.s. The suggestions here, along with the Falconer video really saved the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2023 11:55AM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2023 12:30PM

Here is a short video that changed my rod finishing game:

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: May 03, 2023 04:31PM

I think the high RPM machines help a lot. I only have a fly drying motor and stand system which I also use to apply finish epoxy. You need to be a bit more careful due to the slower RPMs, so I tend to do more thin coats, usually 3.

Date: May 03, 2023 09:05PM

You may be right David. It certainly makes sense to me. That said, I've not encountered this issue before and both of my dryers are 18 rpm motors. The only variable (outside of possible human error) is me switching to a different finish epoxy and maybe it has a slightly different consistency. I don't know, but all is well that ends well as I got it fixed, and it looks fine now. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster