I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building Relabeling & cost
Posted by: ken hoever (---)
Date: April 27, 2023 08:32AM

Been buildings rods for quite sometime but this kind of charge is stumping me.
Built 6 Stand-up rods and 2 wire line rods awhile ago. My customer was recently divorced so I have to do a name change
on all of his rods, Enough said there.
It involves ordering 8 new decals, black overwrap over the old decals, new coat of epoxy in preparation for the new decals,
Placing new decals on each rod, a coat of color preserver to protect the decals, then another new coat of epoxy over the new decals.
No serious rush, so I am doing them at my leisure.
Looking for some feedback…
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Relabeling & cost
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: April 27, 2023 09:15AM

Unless you want to do him a favor for past and maybe future business I would have to charge at least $30 per name change. Sounds like a lot but considering the work involved I don't think it is.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: April 27, 2023 10:12AM

I'd agree with Mike on this one - probably about a $30 per rod job....

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: April 27, 2023 11:28AM

Perhaps a tinted epoxy over the old decals would be more efficient. I tint epoxy occasionally with VooDoo dust. You can achieve any color you wish.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2023 01:33PM

Is it possible to size the decals to cover over the originals? If so, you may be able to skip the overwrap with black thread and simply apply the new decals over the area where the old ones are and apply a new coat of epoxy.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 27, 2023 03:21PM

ken,
While $30.00 may sound cheap to a rod builder, It may not seem so to the customer; 8 X $30 = $240. Your only salvation is that hopefully you can perform each required task on 3 or 4 rods at a time. Although Tom’s suggestion has merit, most decals have lettering on top of a clear backing. BUT, if the blanks are black, possibly Decal Connection can print the text on a black backing?!?! Otherwise, tinting a coat or two of epoxy over the existing decals as Mark B. suggested may save a lot of time compared to the overwrapping approach. Good luck!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 27, 2023 06:42PM

Or,
The customer could take a roll of black electrical tape and overwrap the decal and name with the tape and call it good.
Total cost - $5 and 20 minutes.

Take care

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 27, 2023 10:25PM

I think I would tell him to live with his old name on his fishing rod.

Other than that, I would make or buy a label with a sold background color, white, black or similar to the blank color, think of an Orvis blank, and place that label over the existing label area and one coat of epoxy over it and be done.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2023 02:26AM

So I am guessing it was a woman customer that fishes offshore, of course I don't want to presume gender or pronouns. What if they get back together? $45.00 a pop is sounding better to me.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 28, 2023 07:46AM

Ask whatever you think is the right charge and the customer can take it or leave it. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Decal Connection can make perfectly opaque decals so sizing them to properly and effectively cover the old ones is certainly feasible.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: April 28, 2023 08:30AM

I look at it like this. If they’re buying custom rods from you rather than buying over seas built rods from some box store, I doubt they’re going to get to worked up over $30 a rod for a name change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2023 09:42AM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: ken hoever (---)
Date: April 28, 2023 08:41AM

That’s for all the responses, again I now know what my best option is should it arise again.

Posted by: Mike Bernazzani (---.res-cmts.mlf.ptd.net)
Date: May 07, 2023 07:22AM

ken hoever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That’s for all the responses, again I now know
> what my best option is should it arise again.

What did you choose? (Just curious!)
Mike B

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster