I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need some help Boat Rod Build
Posted by: Alex Tway (---)
Date: April 24, 2023 09:59PM

Hey guys so I’m building my first boat rod and need some tips or guidance on components. I’ve build some spinning rods, casting and fly rods but these boat rods have me stumped as far as guides and spacing and the grips and reel seats(pretty much everything). I’m fairly new and trying to branch out and learn some new things. I’m building on the MHX GFC84M it’s a 7’ 20-40lbs line. Thank you so much in advance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2023 10:02PM by Alex Tway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some help Boat Rod Build
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 24, 2023 10:56PM

Alex Tway Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys so I’m building my first boat rod and
> need some tips or guidance on components. I’ve
> build some spinning rods, casting and fly rods but
> these boat rods have me stumped as far as guides
> and spacing and the grips and reel seats(pretty
> much everything). I’m fairly new and trying to
> branch out and learn some new things. I’m
> building on the MHX GFC84M it’s a 7’ 20-40lbs
> line. Thank you so much in advance.

Well for a boat rod, if you are planning to put in a rod holder, you need to think about taking it out of the holder with a fish tugging on it. Consider a slick butt.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 25, 2023 10:05AM

For guide spacing I think it's that same for any rod, any technique. Locate them with a 2 line stress test. Start with the number of guides equal to the length of the rod in feet + one + a tiptop. If you don't like the stress test add a guide and repeat.
Probably for that power blank it would be good to use double foot guides all the way. I assume a casting reel rather than spin, and if I'm right, I would use a simple spiral guide setup.

The use of a rod holder, as mentioned, should factor into your grip design and material. Hard to beat exotic burl cork for a rod like this. (very tough stuff)

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: April 25, 2023 12:28PM

I would do a spiral wrap and i would put a gimbal on the butt so as the boat is under way the reel is not getting beat up spinning around..

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2023 01:30PM

You need to figure out if it is a stand up rod or one that fishes off the rail or in a fighting chair. Because it is only rated for up to 40# it seems it would be a stand up rod. Is it going to be a spinning or conventional reel rod? Figure out what you want and this site can help you with the right information.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 25, 2023 05:55PM

Alex,
As Lance suggested, with more information I’ll be glad to offer my ideas for you; salt (I assume) or fresh, casting (I assume) or spinning, stand-up (I assume) or rail-rod or trolling (East or West coast), top live bait, jigs or bottom, and anything else you can think of to explain the conditions / methods in which it will be fished. Be forewarned that I am pretty much a Fuji guy.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Robert Sunjara (65.210.47.---)
Date: April 25, 2023 08:15PM

Couple things to consider:

how tall is the reel you will be fishing it with? Taller reel = taller stripping guide. Probably either a 25 or 20. For the rest of the guides what kind of line and connections will you plan on running? Anything bulky would probably need a size 10 tip and runners. I personally like the Fuji MN or Alps MXN guides for these style of rods.

For grips I find EVA either plain or with a casing of shrink tube works well. For a seat for this class of rod I really like the Fuji HD seats, but aluminum ones may be your preference. Slick butts also are nice for this type of rod if it’s going to be fished in the holder a lot.

Also if you are fishing in a holder a lot you may want to incorporate a gimbal or possibly a rounded rubber gimbal. It’s nice for the rods to stay upright while in the rod holder like for trolling or drift fishing.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 30, 2023 01:51PM

Apparently, Alex has “left the building”.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster