I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Megabass Destroyer F3 610DSG Aaron Marten guide wrap thread color?
Posted by: Brian Warfel (---.faa.gov)
Date: April 21, 2023 08:27AM

Help, I have a very particular customer that wants things absolutely perfect.

Wraps - Does anyone know what color, type, brand of thread was used for the guide wraps. It looks almost black, however it is more of a black cherry color and I can see the rod blank through it when I shine a light at it (Nylon with NCP?).

Guides - Are the guides Fuji ICYSG (Stainless Steel with Titanium finish)?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Megabass Destroyer F3 610DSG Aaron Marten guide wrap thread color?
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: April 21, 2023 09:48AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but I know what I would tell the customer.

"I'll do my best, but sometimes these things are proprietary and are not available to the public so if I can't match exactly, I'll let you know. Then, you can decide if you want to proceed or send back to the factory for the repair".

But, I don't do this as a business so...

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2023 12:31PM

Don’t know the color thread or guides used on the rod in question. However, since the thread wrap appears translucent, it is most probably a regular nylon thread and not an NCP thread. The regular nylon thread will darken and become translucent when finish is applied. Your best bet would be to try several red based threads, something like a garnet, which becomes much darker but still has red dark cherry look to it after epoxy is applied. So, don’t use NCP thread, or color preserver with the regular thread. Without a picture, it becomes impossible to tell the thread color or the type of guides used. I’ve seen pictures of Megabass spinning rods. Some used Fuji Y guides, and others used Fuji KL guides, both with a NGC layout. Probably depends on when the rod was made.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: April 21, 2023 12:41PM

Sounds like a potential quagmire.

Date: April 21, 2023 01:55PM

He's a friend of mine who is borderline OCD. I am going to try to match it up as close as possible and he'll have to deal with it. It's a discontinued rod with discontinued guides, etc.... It's super high end. Thank you for the reply

Date: April 21, 2023 01:57PM

Norman,

I appreciate the advice. I have garnet in Nylon maybe it will work. It's deinitelyi Fuji Y guides, just didn't know if they are Titanium SIC or Titanium coated SIC guides.

Brian

Date: April 21, 2023 02:50PM

Probably titanium Sic. I don’t think they currently sell a titanium coated Fuji guide in the US, at least I have not seen them.
Norm

Date: April 21, 2023 03:54PM

One thing to consider is that the rod is a minimum of 8 to 10 years old, probably older. Because of this the original guide wrap finish has aged and yellowed with time. Thus, even if you used the exact same thread and color used by Megabass, the newly wrapped guide(s) may not match the color of the guides not replaced, due to this aging. If he wants everything to match perfectly, then you will probably need to rewrap all the guides. If this is the case, then a color that is close is close enough.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2023 04:12PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 22, 2023 12:58PM

The folks at The Tackle Trap are a big Megabass dealer and are experts on the older rods. It wouldn't hurt to send them an email and see if they can help.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 30, 2023 02:56PM

St. Croix had some custom colored thread on some of their colored high-end rods, wouldn't surprise me if Megabass hasn't done the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster