I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing Wood Inserts with Marine Spar Urethane
Posted by: Alan Mock (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 20, 2023 05:49PM

I’m interested in learning how to apply marine spare urethane to wood inserts – for instance, do you have a favorite brand, how do you apply and do you do multiple coats. Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing Wood Inserts with Marine Spar Urethane
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2023 06:00PM

I like Tru-Oil and Perma-Gloss. They are completely different products and require different application techniques.

Date: April 20, 2023 08:18PM

Tom, what's your criteria for using one over the other?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2023 09:35PM

Tru-Oil is a polymerized oil so acts like a varnish. It will slightly darken the wood which may or may not change the wood color tone to your like or dislike. It was developed as a gun-stock coating so it'll wear well and is fine outdoors. It is very, very easy to apply and reapply as needed.

Perma-Gloss works well on wood. It was designed as a bamboo rod coating and is also great for exterior use. It's not an oil of any sort but rather a moisture curing urethane. Some find it a bit harder to apply. It's absolutely clear and never yellows.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: April 20, 2023 10:02PM

iI use Minwax Helmsman urethane gloss. I plug both ends and dip them then hang to dry.

Posted by: Joel Wick (181.214.107.---)
Date: April 20, 2023 10:19PM

I'll second Tom's opinion about Tru-Oil and Perma-Gloss.

The trick to Perma-Gloss is to put it on with one pass, and do not touch it after that. No second passes until it dries/sets. It's pretty standard for all urethanes, but especially so with PG.

Tru-oil is much more forgiving. You can put it on by dipping your finger and wiping it on if you wish.

The Perma-Gloss is a nicer, longer lasting finish, but Tru-Oil is so easy to use and can be reapplied easily as it wears, too.

I think if I had to choose and having the piece in my shop as I'm building, I'd use PG.

If I'm refreshing an existing rod, I'd use Tru-Oil.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 20, 2023 11:31PM

Alan,
While marine spar varnish is certainly a good choice given the anticipated usage environment, I have found that PG works the best with BC TrueOil coming in a close second. The quality and attributes of spar varnish varies wildly, so if that is your chosen medium, select a quality one like Total Boat Lust or Epifanes spar varnish. I have recently been extremely pleased with PG for other than rod building wood projects.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: April 21, 2023 06:38AM

I'm going to make a plug for Gorilla Glue as a wood finish. Don't knock it until you've tried it. I've used it on a bunch inserts, blanks, as well as a jewelry box. The method of application can be found on Youtube or on a pdf originally published in "Power Fibers" by Tim Anderson. A link to Tim's pdf is below.
[cdn.shopify.com]

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s3309.c3-0.atw-cbr4.atw.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: April 21, 2023 02:40PM

Pro Custom Oil is a gunstock finish and is similar to Tru-Oil. A difference is that PCO lasts forever in its original container, and remains liquid for a few days when a small quantity is poured into a film canister. Why is this important? My reel seat inserts receive at least fifty wipe-on/wipe-off applications and I don’t like working out of its original container. Another difference is PCO contains Tung Oil vs Linseed oil in Tru-Oil. Both good products I’m sure. As both are oil-modified urethanes, minor scuffs can be touched up easily.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 21, 2023 05:33PM

Alan,
Not a rod insert, but rather the bones of a large boat seat.

I have used spar varnish to finish this wood, before adding the foam and upholstery and I couldn't be happier.

I am using the spar varnish to protect the wood from going to pieces in the humid / wet conditions of being a seat that lives on the water.

I believe that the finish will do a very good job of protecting the wood and it is a product that is very easy to work with.

I just sand down with 320 grit sand paper between coats to knock off any issues with wood grain or other issues.

I have used this product in the past for weather protection and have always been well pleased with its over all use and the products protection of the material.

Take care

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: April 22, 2023 09:52AM

I do all mine with multiple dipping in the Oil based Helmans Spar Urethane, it is waterproof, UV resistent, and also allows for expansion and contraction which most woods incur

Ron Weber

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (45.88.190.---)
Date: April 22, 2023 11:14AM

Hey Alan,
A better idea if yo use stabilized wood for rings. They buff-up very well without finish.
The best source for stabilized wood is [stabilizedwood.com]

herb
CTS

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 22, 2023 01:35PM

I have turned some wood grips and wood inserts.

In each case, I have applied two coats of Flex Coat thread finish and they have turned out very well and have remained pristine for many years.

After application, I have the grips on a dryer and turn them as the dry - in a fashion identical to turning a rod after wrapping and applying thread finish.

Best wishes

Date: April 22, 2023 08:11PM

Lot's of great info - thanks everyone!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster