I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What’s the trick to tying off weaves on the tape side?
Posted by: Seth Blackburn (207.89.51.---)
Date: April 20, 2023 03:19PM

Hello all!

I am new to weaving and I’m trying to find out the trick to tying off my wraps on the beginning end of the wrap. That’s the end where all of the threads are taped in order.

Is the trick to simply cut as close to the first wrap thread as possible and burnish over the tag ends? How do you avoid nicking your wrap thread?

What’s the trick?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What’s the trick to tying off weaves on the tape side?
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 20, 2023 05:00PM

Seth Blackburn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello all!
>
> I am new to weaving and I’m trying to find out
> the trick to tying off my wraps on the beginning
> end of the wrap. That’s the end where all of the
> threads are taped in order.
>
> Is the trick to simply cut as close to the first
> wrap thread as possible and burnish over the tag
> ends? How do you avoid nicking your wrap thread?
>
> What’s the trick?
>
> Thanks!

Here is what developed and what I do. At the the end of the weave, you will have the wrap thread in place holding the design threads in place.. Now you have to deal with all the design threads so you can continue the wrap thread over the top of them. Therefore you need to shape them. Imagine you just chopped off those threads all square in the same place, it would be like you were wrapping a guide going from the ring towards the toe of the foot, eventually you will come to a big step. So here is what I do. Now I am talking about having a large amount of design threads maybe 9 or 10 layers, so thick. I taper the threads starting on the bottom of the bundle next to the blank and close to the wrap thread and as I chop off layers of design threads working your way up, I move along the rod and chop off another layer of threads slowly working towards the top of the bundle until I get to the surface and I cut that last layer at the top. So the bundle is stair stepped upwards which allow the still uncut threads to cover these steps so the wrap thread can wrap smoothly over them without no steps down and making gaps in the wrap thread. The next thing you do is you need to taper the bundle from the sides so the bundle not only tapers upwards toward the surface, but tapers inwards from each side to a point at the center. Next you now use a burnishing tool to splay out the tips of each thread so it will lay flat and able to be wrapped over smoothly. Next I fan the threads out in this tapered bundle to help reduce any steps. Finally since you have fuzzed up the ends of the threads and you don't want that fuzz to come up between the wrap threads I wet the ends down with some liquid. I use SPIT. Now if you are careful you can now finish wrapping over the ends of your Design threads.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---)
Date: April 20, 2023 05:01PM

One source is James Upton's book on weaving. Did one for the first time using the guidance in the book and it came out just fine. He provides a good description of how to begin and end the weave.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 20, 2023 05:50PM

Hello Seth.
If this works you will at least get a look at the books cover, it can be hard finding it.
[www.flyrodcrafters.com]

This may help, but if you do some surfing on the net you should find it and maybe at a better price.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2023 05:50PM by Robert A. Guist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster