I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I’ve hit my first real frustration point…
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: April 19, 2023 11:37PM

since starting rod building a few months ago. I’m doing a guide repair. The main wrap is red. However, it has three single metallic gold bands. I know how to do trim bands and I know how to do inlays. Here’s the rub for me. It starts out with one single red turn, one single gold, one single red, one single gold, one red, one gold, and then continue the wrap in red. I’ve racked my brain trying to figure out what I’m sure is a simple task for you experienced guys. The only way I could figure to make it work is to do a gold under wrap about a quarter inch (if that) and then come over with the red to create the three gold trim bands.

I hope I’ve described this well enough. If not, I can post pic. I just don’t know any other way to create a single turn in red to start the wrap and then have a single gold alternating with the red until I have 3 single gold bands and then continuing the wrap in red. Any time I do trim bands to start, I go five to six turns. Anyway, that’s my dilemma.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’ve hit my first real frustration point…
Posted by: Gerald Ross (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 20, 2023 02:05AM

You can try starting with a red and a gold thread wrapping the two as one thread or three wraps and dropping gold thread as you finish with the red. I think this is what you are describing and I hope it works for you.

Date: April 20, 2023 06:51AM

I’ll give that a try. Thanks!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: April 20, 2023 12:52PM

The way Gerald mentioned is the way I do it! It takes some practice but works well.

Date: April 20, 2023 02:27PM

Thanks Phil, it never even occurred to me to try to do both threads at the same time. Glad this place is here! So much info!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 20, 2023 05:04PM

Daryl,
It is a simple matter of “Adding and Dropping Threads” (dropping in this case).
I will assume that you are wrapping from left to right; if not, you’ll have to reverse my instructions. I will also assume that I understand the thread sequence you want = single thread each alternating from red, gold, red, gold, red, gold (3 rotations), drop the gold and continue with red for the main wrap.
As mentioned, start the wrap with both the red and gold threads together, side-by-side (same as only using one thread). Since the wrap starts with red on the outside, the red will be on the left and the gold on the right. That is all fine and dandy until you want to drop the gold thread = it is on the right without any thread to tuck it under. SO, if you want to end-up with 3 rotations of the red and gold threads side–by-side, make 4 rotations, hold the wrap with a finger to keep tension and from unraveling, cut the gold, unwind the gold thread 1 rotation (it will now be on the left of the red thread), tunk the gold under the red thread to hold it, make at least 3 rotations with the red to secure the gold, trim-off the gold tag and continue with the red main wrap.
It certainly takes much longer to explain than to actually do it.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 20, 2023 05:39PM

Daryl,
This is the method that I use, and it is very simple.

About 10 wraps before getting to the end of the main wraps, I lay in the three trim bands and simply tape the long trim bends to the blank up the rod, and tape the lay in thread over the main wrap to hold them in place until you get enough of your main bands over wrapped on the trim thread.
About two wraps after laying in those three trim bands, I lay in the pull thread for the main wraps and about 2 wraps later lay in a 2nd pull thread for trim bands.

When I get to the end of the main wrap, I pull that thread back under the main wraps.

Now, I simply do the wrap as desired, with an appropriate color.
When you finish a wrap with a color, simply grab the next color to hole that color in place and lay the first color down on the blank to be ready for its next use.
Continue until you are through with all of the colors. Then, use the pull thread to pull the trim wraps back under the wraps, trim and you are done.

Take care

Date: April 20, 2023 07:20PM

Thank you gentlemen! I got it done, but it was no easy task. I used the straw method, but did the two threads together per Gerald's suggestion. I had a dickens of a time trying to get four tag ends through the tunnel (two at each end). I think if this ever comes up again, I'll give Mark and Roger's suggestions a try (didn't see them until after I got it done).That way, I can see what works bet for me.

p.s. This was definitely a task that falls squarely under the "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" category. I swear I was about to pull what's left of my hair out last night. Part of the issue was trying to manipulate the metallic thread (the gold). That stuff has a mind of its own.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! As always, you guys really save the day when one of us inexperienced guys get in a pickle.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 20, 2023 11:05PM

I have said it numerous times, which has been backed-up by a few veterans as well, that the simple “Adding and Dropping Threads” technique will cover just about ANY thread wrap requirement, including single-thread trim bands. Life is so simple if one just allows it to be!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 21, 2023 12:52PM

Here's the final product. I've included a pic of one of the other guides on the rod for comparison.

One of the original guides:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Replacement guide that gave me fits (the bands)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Gerald Ross (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 21, 2023 02:57PM

Looks good Daryl . Thank you for sharing

Date: April 21, 2023 03:58PM

Thank you Gerald, for keeping me from losing my mind trying to figure out how to do a single turn trim band. Never occurred to me to do both colors at the same time so I could do one, two thread, three turn trim band.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 21, 2023 04:22PM

Daryl, I use the method in this video for trim bands and inlays. I modified it slightly in that I wrap the trim band and inlays by hand, and then just wrap over the end with the main wrap thread. Might be something you want to look at and give a try. It works really well for me.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: April 21, 2023 06:32PM

David, I'll definitely watch the video, but the particular issue I was having these trim bands were one turn trim bands. I couldn't figure out how to do a single turn trim band. Thank you for the info!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster