I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite Ton to Modulus Conversion
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 18, 2023 07:01AM

Is there any industry standard to convert Ton rating to a Modulus rating? Like 24T = 33 Million Modulus, etc? If not and industry one, a ballpark conversion chart? Or even which ones fall into the general categories of SM, IM, and HM?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite Ton to Modulus Conversion
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 18, 2023 10:03AM

I don't know the answer, but may I ask the reason for wanting to know? What are you trying to accomplish? I think that since many blanks have multiple materials, even combining carbon and glass, that there may not be a clean answer. thanks,

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2023 01:25PM

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that whatever the material is or way it's described, it's clearly the most important, game changing, revolutionary material ever developed for the fishing industry. Most of these materials were either used on a space shuttle or handed down by the Greek Gods themselves (or both)....

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: April 18, 2023 01:54PM

I found an article while researching I will forward to your email.

As far as SM, IM, HM; There is no standard to my knowledge. Most companies use this to compare their own product lines.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.norvado.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 18, 2023 03:54PM

Just wondering - I have been used to million modulus numbers, but I see the Ton listing popping up more. Just always looking to understand better

Date: April 18, 2023 06:12PM

But of what value is knowing million modulus or ton numbers? That is the basis of my question. What question does knowing these numbers answer?

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 18, 2023 06:31PM

I like to know the stiffness to weight ratio of different carbon fiber.

MSI is all I need to know .

The million modulus stuff is for marketing purposes , it sounds impressive so it's used.

Date: April 18, 2023 08:40PM

What is MSI?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 18, 2023 10:18PM

million pounds per square inch (MSI).

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 19, 2023 12:55AM

Modulus per square inch .

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 19, 2023 06:39AM

I found that it helps compare blanks within one manufacturer some.

But I get it. I have seen "IM6" blanks that were well designed and felt better than rods listed as IM8 or 10.

Date: April 19, 2023 07:26AM

Modulus has the units pounds per square inch, so modulus per square inch means "pounds per square inch per square inch."

You've seen it before, but I'll repeat. The TNF (True Natural Frequency ) process is an easy, repeatable, process that has shown that higher modulus, more expensive blanks generally have higher true natural frequencies, which means they have faster response to deflection. In my opinion they are more sensitive, crisper, cleaner, feeling blanks. It is easy to check your blanks (and rods) to compare their dynamic characteristics without requiring expensive equipment. If one measures the length , weight, CCS power, CCS action, and TNF they have a pretty full objective description of the blanks. The best they can get without expensive, sophisticated equipment.

Date: April 19, 2023 07:50AM

@Marc
Sorry the email keeps failing to deliver. Essentially it was from someone who compared a few manufacturers and found the following. Take with a grain of salt. Unsure of the source.

IM6 = 36 million modulus = 24 ton
IM7 = 40 million modulus = 30 ton
IM8 = 44 million modulus = 36 ton

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: April 19, 2023 10:18AM

I wish makers would go back to the days when they stated their modulus in the same units. That was no guarantee of the lightest or most sensitive rod, but it was a quantitative comparison that could be used with other pieces of information. Now, several blank makers state in various ways that they use Toray’s newest generation of carbon fiber. Scrims, resins, rolling, taping, vacuum, and curing techniques seem to vary and be proprietary. Again, we can’t really compare the outcome of those in even a relative sense. My suspicion is the Rainshadow Eternity RX10 series and various NFC versions of Toray’s latest materials have very similar performance and strength characteristics, but it’s only that. The reported weights vary only a tiny amount across the various charts with no consistent trend. I am never going to do destructive testing to prove strength and all these blanks are very sensitive. One is made in South Korea (an extremely dependable ally on the world scene), but seems more consistent than the lines made nearby to where I live.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.net.kent.edu)
Date: April 19, 2023 02:37PM

Both 36 million modulus and 24 ton refer to the modulus of elasticity. The modulus of elasticity has units of pressure, so that 36 million modulus means that the modulus of elasticity is 36 million pounds per square inch. This is the standard (imperial) unit for modulus of elasticity. Converting to the SI (metric) units for pressure or modulus of elasticity, 36 million psi converts to about 248 billion N/m^2 or 248 GPa (gigapascals). The ton rating comes from taking the GPa number and converting it to units of 1000kg/mm^2 (metric tons/square millimeter), making 36 million modulus roughly equal to 25 tons.

I would put the conversions at approximately.

33 million modulus = 24 ton
36 million modulus = 25.3 ton
44 million modulus = 30 ton
56 million modulus = 40 ton

As a plea to manufacturers, if you are going to report numbers rooted in fact, please report the actual units.

Date: April 19, 2023 04:25PM

Thanks for the units Joe. That was what I could not find in my research. I knew the modulus of elasticity numbers in psi but couldn't reverse any math to correlate what Tons were. The metric ton got me.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 25, 2023 04:29PM

Then there’s the fact that’ a blank can have a minimal amount of a high modulus material to be legally marketed as such. We’ll never see a system that will take the place of in hand and on the water experience with a blank or rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster