I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod guide train question
Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2023 07:13PM

I’m building a couple fly rods and I don’t have much experience other than a 6’6” 2wt that I built last year. That smaller rod came out great and I believe I did a size 8 stripper to a size 4 single foot, then single foot 1s the rest of the way. My only complaint is the loop connection catches on the single foots often.

One of the rods is an NFC F904-2 and I’m planning on doing a size 10 stripper to a size 6 wire frame single foot, then 1s or 2s to the tip. (Thinking the single foot guides would reduce swing weight and maintain a more true action).

The other is a RodGeeks C4F904-4 which I’m thinking a 10 stripper to a 6 double foot, then size 2 snake guides. (My dad wants traditional snake guides)

I guess my questions would be when do you need to use 2 double foot stripping guides and would increasing the size of single foot guides reduce the hang ups caused by a leader loop?

Also I’m not married to the guide trains, just basing it on some of the reading I’ve done so any suggestions would be welcomed as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2023 07:15PM by Evan Cobb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod guide train question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2023 07:23PM

You can only have 1 stripping guide on a fly rod - that is the first guide beyond the reel. All other guides, regardless of type, are running guides.

Generally the use of heavier, ceramic guides, dbl foot, beyond the stripping guide, is limited to heavier rod where a great deal of load will be placed on the lower 3rd of the rod. I doubt using these heavier, sturdier guides brings any benefit on rods under a 5 or 6 weight model. Once get to the 8 weights and up, you may even see 3 of these, but for what you're doing on a 4-weight, it's not necessary.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: April 17, 2023 10:58PM

If your connecting loops are hanging up, your using too small guides.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 18, 2023 12:52AM

I have 1/0t snakes on my 4 wt. no issues with connections.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2023 04:54AM

I use 1/0 Snake Guides on 4 and 5wts without any issues of passing connections.

Personally, I’d stay away from single foots, get yourself some Snake Brand Universals. The foot profile is small. The added weight of a double foot guide vs a single foot is marginal, seriously doubt you’d notice a difference in how the rod cast.

Get a Pac Bay Minima double foot for the stripper, #10, then follow that with 2 #2’s and then 1/0’s the rest of the way out.

The loop profile on Snake Brand Universals and Originals is “rounder” than other brands of snake guides.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2023 06:07AM

Thank you all for the advice and recommendations, I really appreciate it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster